Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt: Do You Spray During the Cook?

Options
I've tried various methods, today I'm using the smobot for the first time (results later), but am wondering if you spray during the cook at all?  I've heard once an hour, what do you do?
L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    First time I've ever heard of spraying a butt! I'd worry that opening the dome every hour to spray would lead to a run away inferno - remember the smobot will only maintain a temperature's bottom temp, but for a raging fire it can't do anything to help!
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    I mop mine, based on a variation of Chris Lillys recipe. After about 3 hours I do it once an hour ish. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I close the dome and leave it closed for the duration. Have never sprayed.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I honestly don't know how it would improve anything and, depending on how long the lid is open, could have negative implications on the temps you're trying to hold. If the goal is the add flavor, get more smoke to adhere to a wet surface or even just moistness, I feel like all of those things are easily achieved without the spraying. But I've also never done it, so will defer to those who have.
    Stillwater, MN
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,676
    Options
    I spray with a 50/50 mix of apple juice/apple cider vinegar every 45 minutes to an hour until it hits 160. At that point I wrap in foil and pour some of the mixture in with it. We like the end results better this way than not spraying.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TrailheadEgg
    Options
    I spray “spritz” after 4 or 5 hours with Apple juice mixed with finely ground up Turbinado sugar.  I spritz every hour or hour and a half or so. I have the lid up for such a short period of time I haven’t found it to cause any problems with a spike in temperature. If it does raise a little more than I like, I will ever so slightly adjust the vent(s). 
    I have found that doing this helps get the bark to the way I like it!

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I don't open the dome at all anymore,  until about 10-12 hours in.  250° all the way.  No spritz, no peeking.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    As an experiment yesterday, after the first 4 or 5 hours I sprayed frequently with 1/3 water and 2/3 Kahlua - beautiful crust and very tasty.

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    edited July 2020
    Options
    As far a a butt goes, I have always tried to do everything in my power to enhance bark formation. Spraying any type of liquid on the butt actively prevents the bark formation that I'm trying to achieve.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,485
    Options
    @JohnEggGio - that is great looking bark right there.  I don't drink Kahlua so your usage seems perfect.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @JohnEggGio spraying definitely didn't hurt the bark formation.
    I may give spraying another try. 
  • JohnEggGio
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @lousubcap it’s too sweet for me but White Russians are my wife’s family’s drink, so we must always have it on hand.
    Edit: White Russians for the ladies and Budweiser for the men.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    I have never sprayed or spritzed or whatever the term is, but I am darn tempted to try the Kahlua and water trick suggested by @JohnEggGio !
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Have never sprayed.  I have added honey or brown sugar midway to the butt and it seems to add to the bark.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have mopped before, but never sprayed. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    Once I close the lid it stays closed until done...never had any problems and always comes out spectacular!!  
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    have mopped as well, did not like the bark from that cook so now just leave the lid down.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    As an experiment yesterday, after the first 4 or 5 hours I sprayed frequently with 1/3 water and 2/3 Kahlua - beautiful crust and very tasty.

Looks to good to eat 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Never have sprayed mine, just let the fat do it's work and bark up.    Spraying with Kahlua would be interesting but I'll leave that for the wife while I get into the Blanton's.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Never have sprayed mine, just let the fat do it's work and bark up.    Spraying with Kahlua would be interesting but I'll leave that for the wife while I get into the Blanton's.
    It was a Woodford Reserve evening for me.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options
    In the no spray club here. Always turns out wonderful. 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Been spraying brisket and ribs, but pork butt doesn't need the special attention in my experience.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,432
    Options
    No need to spray
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI