Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken?

Options
Smokin' Wolverine
Smokin' Wolverine Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long does it usually take to cook a 3-4lbs bird? DO I cook it at 350 grid or dome and at what breast temp do I pull the bird off?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Smokin' Wolverine,
    I usually do them around 375 dome, direct on a raised grid for an hour. I don't check the meat temperature, but you usually want about 160 in the breast.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Apple
    Apple Posts: 49
    Options
    Smokin' Wolverine, We cook our spatchcock chix on a raised grid 350-375 dome for 60 to 75 minutes depending on size of bird. Internal temp of 170 or so works for us. As always, your experience will be a bit different so just give it a try and have fun. Its only chicken.....if all goes haywire, go buy some more and start over. Steve.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I used to do all my chicken at higher temps like Steve and TNW said below. That method produces a fine product, indeed. I've found that I prefer to cook butterflied chickens at 250°-275° indirect on a raised grid. I cook 'em until you can spin the leg bone in the thigh socket. Sometimes it takes 3-4 hours. Sometimes it takes 5 hours or so. The skin gets crispy and the flavor/texture is even better IMHO. Chicken is relatively inexpensive, so try it both ways and choose the one YOU prefer. You can't go wrong![p]All the best,
    Jim

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    JSlot,[p]That is exactly the way we do them also. Really good eats. Take care my friend.[p]Spin
  • bugz on da barbe
    Options
    yeeeehaww!!!! on the low an d slow spatchcocked chicken. my wife doesn't like b-b-q'd chicken. i spatchcocked one last friday. cooked the little bugger for 4.5 hrs. @ 275. soooooo jucy andthe flavor was perfection. my wife actually said that it was the best (b-b-q'd) chicken that she had had. man, i love my egg!!!! ken
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Interesting, Jim. When you do them that way, how is the relative doneness between the breast and thigh meats? Do they still finish up at about the same time, both staying moist?[p]I have wanted to try spatchcocked chicken indirect but was afraid that I might have to overrun my breast temp in order to get the thighs done.[p]Thanks,[p]TRex
  • JSlot
    Options
    Good to see you back posting regularly. Give Sue a hug for me and I hope to see you guys soon![p]Jim
  • JSlot
    Options
    Howdy, Jason. Hope all is well up in Greenville this morning. Looks like you might have some ice. We are getting some here in the lowcountry, as well. As for the chicken, the whole bird stays moist. IMHO, the key is to keep the temp down below 300°. This allows the fat to render from the skin very slowly and that helps to keep the meat moist. I imagine that if you left the bird on for a while after the skin got nice and crispy, the meat, especially the breast, would dry out very quickly. Of course, there is no need to do that as the chicken is tender and falling apart anyway at that point.[p]BTW, that camera you got sure looks mighty nice. Are you happy with it?[p]All the best,
    Jim

• JSlot
    Options
    If you are overly concerned about the breast and thigh meat being done at different times, or if you want to cook indirect, but at a higher temp, just quarter the chicken. That way you can take the breasts off when they are done. Just an additional thought! It's early!![p]Jim
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Top o' the mornin', Jim. Thanks for your response. I've actually got a fresh young chicken sitting in the fridge right now - may have to try it at the lower temp. Getting the skin crispy to my liking (and I like REALLY crispy skin) has always been the quandry for me when it comes to chicken.[p]I absolutely LOVE my camera. In fact, I'm thinking about trying a little photography work for fee on the side. Have to build a portfolio first, so I'm making friends and family pose for portraits and I'm taking my camera EVERYWHERE these days. I've also discovered PhotoShop, which is the new "dark room" for photographers. There's really a lot of power in that software.[p]On a side note, I'm actually in Atlanta now - moved from Greenville at the beginning of the new year. Decided to quit my corporate job and try something new - what that is yet, I don't know, but I'm leaning towards teaching middle school science - currently applying to several private schools in the area.[p]For now, I'm unemployed, but I like to tell people that I'm "retired." It just sounds more respectable I guess.[p]Have a great day![p]Jason[p][p]