Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium egg owner... looking for advice

Options
Hello BGE community! I have the done several fairly successful smokes on my medium(OG version with 15" grid and 5 dimples on fire ring) but it's about time I step my game up and get with the times. I have never added any accessories or upgraded anything. My first order of business was the KAB which is on it's way. I was going to get the woo, but I'm thinking against it now because the woo raises the grid level to felt line and I want to add a second DIY raised level(either 15" or 13" grid) using long ss bolts/nuts/washers. The spider would let me keep the first grid resting on top of fire ring and likely allow me to have that second level about 5-5.5" higher while hopefully not hitting the dome sides. A 13" grid certainly wouldn't, but I'm thinking possibly even another 15" would be fine(love to know if anyone knows where I can get a 14" grid?). 

One concern is the 13" half stones I would be getting... are those stones true 13"? I measured the diameter of my fire ring and it is right around 12 1/4". CGS sitr says the 5-dimple ring is 12.375" but how can the 13" stone fit in there if ring diameter is little over 12, plus you've got the spider legs which take up a little bit of the diameter? I'm sure CGS knows what fits so I'm guessing the 13" stone is more like 12" actually? Also, will the 14" drip pan NOT fit on top of the spider stone in the medium egg? No biggie if so, I can always use some other smaller drip pan.  So what do you think of the spider on the medium egg and my plan...anyone have experience with it on that size egg/suggestions? 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i think the 13 inch stone needs to be raised with the woo, or maybe with the spider upsidedown on the ring.  best thing you can do is call tom at the store.  the 13 inch stone is what i use in the large hanging in the spider for a heat deflector
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Agree with @fishlessman
    13”stone is 13” and will work with low and slows with the new Woo design on the Medium. 13” stone will not work dropped into fire ring with spider.
    I would buy the Woo to cook at felt level and make a raised 13” grid with a grid from a Small BGE. Just my 2 cents.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BuddyC
    BuddyC Posts: 35
    Options
    Just called and the stone for the spider needs to be 10". So anyone use the spider on the medium? I would like the woo but I just can't get trying to add some sort of a second level and need decent space between the levels which I can envision working out with the spider. I find it hard to believe I can get a raised grid in there with the woo since it's already at felt level and put much of anything on a second level.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    BuddyC said:
    Just called and the stone for the spider needs to be 10". So anyone use the spider on the medium? I would like the woo but I just can't get trying to add some sort of a second level and need decent space between the levels which I can envision working out with the spider. I find it hard to believe I can get a raised grid in there with the woo since it's already at felt level and put much of anything on a second level.
    What is your cooking goal?
    you are never going to fit Pork Butts over a Brisket on a Medium.
    Just remember, whatever you have envisioned in your mind, you have to be able to easily get to it to flip and rotate.
    You can only do so much with a grill starting with a 15” grid. That’s why they make larger sizes.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BuddyC
    Options
    Yes I considered that but I cook briskets with fat side down and rarely flip them. Same with pork butts. I often smoke a 7 pound brisket along with a 4-5 pound butt. I let the brisket smoke until 160 stall and then wrap both the brisket and pork in pink butcher paper, let each smoke until around 15 degrees from done, and then unwrap and let the bark/skin get even more right until done.

The lower 15" rack is usually good for the size brisket and butt and the upper rack I'm envisioning would be for either baby back ribs, chicken, vegetables, anything that is not too thick.

I honestly think with the spider I could possibly get another 15 inch rack(if I can find 14" would be perfect) in there which would only be about an 1 1/2" above felt line and still give perfect room for a not so thick meat. There would be at least 6" of space between 1st and 2nd grids which is typically fine for the briskets and butts I buy.

The thing about this setup is that since the grids are attached with bolts, I can grab the upper tier and lift out the whole apparatus, then slide the brisket/butt out and if I chose, flip and slide back in, or just wrap and slide back in which I would normally do. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I had the aspirations you have once upon a time for my medium.  I bought some grids and never got around to it.  I think I gave them to a friend making a mini WSM out of a weber smokey joe grill and a tamale pot.  

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7431-Cooking-Grate/dp/B000WEIKL0
  • BuddyC
    Options
    Thanks. You know what, I now remember coming across that grid a couple weeks ago when I was searching for one and forgot about it. I'll definitely be getting that one. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    On my large I use the spider and stone and keep the grid at stock level. 

I than use a grate stacker for the 2nd level. The 2nd level swings out of the way when needing to get the the lower grid.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    On my large I use the spider and stone and keep the grid at stock level. 

I than use a grate stacker for the 2nd level. The 2nd level swings out of the way when needing to get the the lower grid.

Forgot about that one. I was just looking at it Sunday, too. 

Reminds me of what my bubba keg came with. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    BuddyC said:
    Yes I considered that but I cook briskets with fat side down and rarely flip them. Same with pork butts. I often smoke a 7 pound brisket along with a 4-5 pound butt. I let the brisket smoke until 160 stall and then wrap both the brisket and pork in pink butcher paper, let each smoke until around 15 degrees from done, and then unwrap and let the bark/skin get even more right until done.

The lower 15" rack is usually good for the size brisket and butt and the upper rack I'm envisioning would be for either baby back ribs, chicken, vegetables, anything that is not too thick.

I honestly think with the spider I could possibly get another 15 inch rack(if I can find 14" would be perfect) in there which would only be about an 1 1/2" above felt line and still give perfect room for a not so thick meat. There would be at least 6" of space between 1st and 2nd grids which is typically fine for the briskets and butts I buy.

The thing about this setup is that since the grids are attached with bolts, I can grab the upper tier and lift out the whole apparatus, then slide the brisket/butt out and if I chose, flip and slide back in, or just wrap and slide back in which I would normally do. 
    Ok, good luck.
    I have never seen a 7 pound brisket.
    But I thing the cooking grid for a Small BGE is now 13 3/4”. That might be a good size for your upper grid.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BuddyC
    Options
    I like the grate stacker idea... wish they weren't close to $50 but I like it. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    BuddyC said:
    They run sales all the time 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    BuddyC said:
    I 100% agree. Hopefully you can find a sale on it. I was able to purchase it from another local egger for cheap. It does come in handy. Especially with the Spider, stone, and drip tray.

I have a custom lower cooking grid that is fairly heavy. It's heavier than the stock grid which pairs nice with the Stacker. The Stacker doesn't work very well if your grids weigh the same. Especially if you rotate your top grid outwards and is top heavy. It will want to pull your whole lower grid up and out of the egg if you're not careful. Just to keep that in mind if you decide to go with a Stacker. The Stacker isn't perfect but can be super handy. Especially when you don't need to try and counterbalance anything with a lower heavier grid. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BuddyC
    Options
    Ok finished up my custom two level setup and I like the way it turned out. I was about to say forget it and just go simple with a woo, but no way I could see getting a second level in there with that thing and I just had to have my second level. I went with the spider, 10" stone, 10" drip pan combo. It is very versatile. My rack is a 14"(13.5" actual diameter) 201 stainless steel by Grillvana ordered through Amazon. Yeah I would love 304 stainless but it's darn near impossible to find a 14" grid in 304, 201 is still good, I'll just try to keep it indoors for better longevity. 

I used 6" stainless steel bolts/washers/nuts, all bought from a local hardware store called East Texas Fasteners. If you want to build one, just know that 6" SS bolts are not that easy to find at most chain or local hardware places. I want to say that SOME Ace stores carry them but not all and they are nearly 4x as expensive at Ace than what I paid. The hardware all together was only $6.72 out the door. The 201 grid was $19.99 shipped. Total $26.71 for this second tier build.

3x 6" SS 3/8" bolts 
    9x SS 3/8" nuts
    9x SS 3/8" washers
    Attach in the order shown in the picture

This gave me just under 5.5" of space between the two grids which was exactly what I wanted. Plenty of space for a thick brisket or butt and enough room to easily stick a probe or thermometer down there when needed. I measured and there is a full 6" of head space between the top of dome and second grate, and the dome closes easily with no worry of the top grill hitting the dome sides. There is around an inch of clearance between dome sides and top grid. With this setup, you can just lift off the top grid to get to the lower meat when it's time to wraps of even just to flip if you are into that. With the versatility of the spider, you can flip it up for a high indirect or remove stone for a high direct. You can remove the bottom grate like I showed in the pic and rest the top grid legs on the fire ring(just place carefully as the bolt legs don't sit too far onto the edge of the ring but it's stable enough if you place them properly). With the bottom grid gone, you have plenty of room to dump in more wood or charcoal if needed. 

All you medium BGE owners out there... it's highly doubtful that any type of adjustable rig  is going to be made for the medium, but don't think you can't easily and CHEAPLY make a two tier option in your medium. I think this is better because it gives you the maximum and perfect space between the levels and also the top of dome. That Smokeware grate stacker is nice but probably give just a little under 5" of space, plus it's around $50 with shipping and then you still have to buy a grate.

• BuddyC
    Options
    I was also considering getting the stacker at some point in the future if I can find one for a cheaper price or at a good sale price through Smokeware... I'd like to hear from anyone who has one and their opinion of it. What was the actual clearance you got between the levels?
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    BuddyC said:
    I was also considering getting the stacker at some point in the future if I can find one for a cheaper price or at a good sale price through Smokeware... I'd like to hear from anyone who has one and their opinion of it. What was the actual clearance you got between the levels?
    The Stacker is great. Being able to swing it away to get to lower grate is very convenient.
    The extension pivot joint can be cut down to give more head room on top grate.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BuddyC
    Options
    Ok thanks for the info.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    great setup you've made!  DIY FTW
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • BuddyC
    Options
    Thank blind... it's about to get put to use for first time tomorrow with a big brisket flat on bottom and a couple racks of baby back ribs on top.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    BuddyC said:
    Thank blind... it's about to get put to use for first time tomorrow with a big brisket flat on bottom and a couple racks of baby back ribs on top.
    If you are able, pics of that cook would be really good to see.  A good set up for sure.
  • BuddyC
    Options
    Absolutely, I probably will snap some pics and post.
  • BuddyC
    Options
    Couldn't have gotten all this done for Saturday evening 4th get together without the two levels. It worked great. Ribs turned out awesome... brisket was good but could have been better. The smaller end of the flat was slightly dry but that was my fault for a couple reason... one of them being just straight up over cooking, plus I've got to get a quality thermometer before next smoke(probably a Thermopop). 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    That's incredible.  I cant believe that all fit on a medium.  I cooked 1 pork butt on a medium yesterday.  I feel ashamed.
  • BuddyC
    Options
    Shoot if that was your goal then mission accomplished and good job! Yeah that's the motivation I had to ever make a second tier for the medium... I had to get a lot of meat done within one smoke for an 8-person dinner.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Nice setup. I would have done this with my medium, but use the XL now for larger cooks.  However, your concept can be used for all sizes with varying grate sizes.