Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Fishing Kayaks?

Options
Anyone have one? Seeking recommendations on a good entry level kayak - the canoe is killing my back. I am currently looking at the  Pescador Pro 12.0

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Can’t by a kayak in Austin right now. All sold out. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    I have an older Wilderness Systems Tarpon. They are good boats, but not light in the fishing kayak size. Get a wheelie cart, and fancy roof racks, and go. Most of the fishing boats aren't light, especially once you put all your crap on them. I think my next one will be one I can stand up in...

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Options
    What type of fishing and what type of environment?  Small lakes, big lakes, rivers, gulf etc.  Are you looking to stand in it and fish or not?  Trolling motor or pedals or just paddle?  I agree a lot of fishing kayaks are tough to lift.  I have a bonafide ss127 and it's stable but also heavy to lift.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Old Town/Ocean Kayak Ambush.  Best 'yak I ever had.  Sold it when I sold our lake house.  Things is a beast - weighs a ton, swim off it, dive off it, fish off it.  Loved that thing!
    OK ambush - TexasKayakFishermancom

Signal Mountain, TN
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I have two Cabelas yaks back before the Bass Pro purchase.  They are great for river fishing, but heavy and built for stability, not speed.  I love them, and they are tanks. They can take a beating on rocks, and you never know it. 

Agree with the above about determining what type of water you plan to use.  My yaks would not be great for lakes, without external power.  They are just not made for speed, but are for stability and carrying my big butt down the river with 12 beers and several small mouths.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • MotownVol
    Options

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Hobie my friend hobie....
    Dyersburg, TN
  • MotownVol
    Options
    Hobie yaks are great, but hardly entry level.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Jackson Kayaks makes some nice boats. If I was to go out and buy now it'd be one of theirs. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    You can have mine. It's been hanging in the garage for 4 years. Wife refuses to let it go because one day she will use it. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    edited June 2020
    Options
    What type of fishing and what type of environment?  Small lakes, big lakes, rivers, gulf etc.  Are you looking to stand in it and fish or not?  Trolling motor or pedals or just paddle?  I agree a lot of fishing kayaks are tough to lift.  I have a bonafide ss127 and it's stable but also heavy to lift.
    its fresh water lake, the lake isn't huge maybe 1 km wide X 4 km long. There are other lakes attached but I pretty much stay in mine. I don't need to stand but its a nice option. I am fishing mostly walleye with the occasional pike that wants to come along. I am also looking at getting a cheaper one maybe ascend h10 then buy a few more accessories with the additional savings - $250. I would just paddle. Oh I should mention I am pretty much taking it to the lake and leaving it there, so weight is less of an issue.
  • Miked125
    Options
    This will give you an idea of the size of the lake

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i have a bad back and find the canoe more comfortable, no way i could sit in a kayak all day. if its just me i prefer my fly fishing float tube even off shore in the salt though its a bit scary the first time a seal pops up barking next to you =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Sweet looking lake.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    My best advice is to test drive before you buy. 

Hendersonville, TN.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    @Miked125, where is that?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Miked125
    Options
    Botch said:
    Katepwa Lake, Saskatchewan, Canada.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited June 2020
    Options
    they make rowing options for the canoe that let you sit higher as well

Sailboats To Go  rowing message

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    Hey @Miked125 , like your avatar.  That label has a place in my heart after 2 times living in Calgary.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    The Perfect Fishing Kayak?
    https://flip.it/0zp3KZ
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    ^ just came across that article on Flipboard
    Boom
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Miked125 said:
    Botch said:
    Katepwa Lake, Saskatchewan, Canada.
    You can find fish in all those weeds? 🤣 Its been many years since I've been to katepwa.

I bought a chair that straps to the seat of my canoe, it has worked miracles on my back.

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada