Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Side tables

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
So my eggmates are looking like garbage, out in the sun and heat has beat them up.  I’ve tried to clean and pressure wash them and they still are a mess.  These are the plastic ones, can I paint them and if so what should I use?   Is it “safe to have the painted surface where I put hot pork butts and what not?  I always use foil pans, but they are hot and I’m afraid they may blister the paint 

Trying to spruce up the egg, as I’m using it more these days. 
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Best Answer

Answers

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I'm a fan of a stainless prep table.  Ditch the mates. 

Full disclose.  I have mates and miss my prep table.  

I'll be fixing that soon hopefully
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    I am loving my Cuna Cart from Ceramic Grill Store. They have built in stainless steel mates. Not cheap but well made and probably cheaper than any good table that I could make.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy those look nice, but more than I want to spend, getting a pad pored for my grilling stuff so next year a “kitchen” is in the works.   Just want to “spruce” them up. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I think people used oven cleaner on them with success.  Maybe @RRP ?

I could be wrong. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I think people used oven cleaner on them with success.  Maybe @RRP ?

I could be wrong. 
    Nope! Wasn't me!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    My recently purchased used XL came with the older style gray, plastic mates. They had stains and tree sap.  Goo Gone and scraping got the sap off, but there was still discoloration.  I tried Simple Green,Bar Keepers Friend, and Magic Eraser.  None did a great job bringing them back. I ended up selling at discounted price.