Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bringing pork to the people ... Need advice on how to Deliver Pulled Pork for a Church party

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm having my annual pulled pork party in a little more than a week. It's an auction item at a church-fundraiser we had in November and was hoping some of you could help me out maybe you have some experience with this.  I know other people are in parts of the country that have been hit less, but we are in Northern New Jersey and I know a bunch of people who've had the virus and one guy close to me died. Face to face isn't an option around here, I won't do it and nobody would come anyway. Lots of elders on the list.  

So instead I had an idea that we could bring the pork to people. But how do we keep it warm? Everything else is easy, just put it in a container and bring it over. We have plenty of containers. But what about the pork? My dear wife says chill it and people will reheat it. I might as well deliver McDonald's leftovers that way. Not going to do it. Reheating can be done, but you have to know what you are doing. Now if the pork was wrapped in towels, it'd be easy, but my thought was to pull the pork and immediately separate it by weight, wrapping each portion into aluminum foil "pouches," folded and double-wrapped, then tossing into Yeti Coolers lined with hot towels. My concern is that when you pull the pork it cools down real fast.  

Would that work for up to an hour of deliveries?

Comments

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I make Pulled Pork myself and usually do about 15-18 pounds. We break it down into meal size portions and freeze it for us to have at a later date. Then it just goes in the crock-pot and gets heated up for our dinner. Works perfect. You could put it is vacuum bags and seal it up and they can heat it up themselves and it will be just fine.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm with your wife. Pull it, then bag it in ziplock freezer bags and refrigerate. Tell them to reheat in 160° water for 15-20 minutes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Smoke it, pull it, vac pac it.  Heat water in a good cooler, drop bags in and begin the delivery process.   Easy Peasy 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Really good advice so far :) Cheers

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    @Mattman3969 has the method.  My cousin has a restaurant and catering  business.  He has a cooker that will do 30 butts at a time.  Catered 6,000 meals for Christmas parties a couple of years ago.  He cooks the butts, shreds them and vacuum seals them.  Immediately dropped into ice water.  Then refrigerated or frozen depending on how long before serving.  At the event, he keeps a vat of hot water and drops in bags as needed.  They reach serving temp fairly quick.   And when it’s over, any unopened pork is not wasted.  Event organizer gets to take home pork.   
        Works well for pulled pork.  But brisket, not so well.  It seems to be best when sliced at time of use.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• tau_ceti
    Options
    Should any of you ever need to do this, rest assured a couple of yeti coolers will keep the meat warm enough to make everybody happy. We had a great time delivering the food to all the members of the congregation who ordered it. They had an even better time eating it. A real highlight of the early summer. Thank you all who supported me in this.