Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokey Day

Options
booksw
booksw Posts: 470
It’s been a while since I have posted here and it’s been a while since I have smoked anything.  I think I connect the leisure of posting on this forum with the slow patience needed for smoking...

Also, I am using things I have around- a turkey breast and 4 beef short ribs I pulled out of the freezer a few days ago, and a BGE rub I used to like but haven’t used in a while- Sweet and Smokey.  I spent time with the turkey- I brined it over night.  But the rub was a rush decision stemming from my tendency to have too many balls in the air and now I am over thinking it. I need to channel  @lousubcap to remind me its the journey...  Thanks@lousubcap

So I’ve got the turkey breast on the large with an old FlameBoss monitor that I realized today has a bad meat temp probe, and the ribs on the MiniMax which I haven’t used in a while and it actually had water pooled in the bottom- ick.  

Also, it is time to get a SmokeWare Chimney Cap for my minimax.  And what do I do about the black build up on the Large Chimniey Cap...?  
Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Welcome back.  Yes, life does quite frequently get in the way.  Sounds like you are taking it all in stride.  I don't use a chimney cap so I just toss the DFMT (daisy wheel) in the BGE at the close of the cook.  Can you heat the cap and scrape off the gunk??
    And as always, enjoy the journey.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited May 2020
    Options
    You can soak the smokeware cap then throw it in the dishwasher. I have used some homebrew cleaner to soak it with to get it like new before but these days I just hit it with a sponge in hot soapy water then into the dishwasher. To get the outside of it shining I’ll rub it with a very light coat of oil but that’s just my OCD.
  • booksw
    Options
    THank you so much @lousubcap and @Cornholio. The issue with the daisy wheel that was in the minimax at this point isn’t gunk- its rust, sadly...  I am going to try the dishwasher idea at some point soon For the cap on the large.  Thanks for that!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • booksw
    Options
    Also, I am smoking the turkey breast based on a a conglomeration of recipes (per usual) that includes a Franklins recipe posted on this forum that calls for wrapping in foil for the last hour or 2 with 1/2 c of butter and I accidentally used a whole cup.  Can’t be bad, right?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • booksw
    Options
    Both the ribs and the turkey came out amazing

For sure both worth repeating (I have made ribs this way many times but it was a first for the turkey which I didn’t get a pic).  @smbishop posted the turkey recipe back in Jan and I will repost below.  I didn’t bother to take off the skin.  Like I said I probably used the wrong rub on both*.  BUT, it didn’t matter.  It was delicious.  Also, the whole cup of butter was exactaly what the recipe said and it worked out great (though a lot of liquid to take off the egg which I didn’t successfully get all off- some spilled onto the coals when I opened the foil to check the meat temp- should be interesting when I try to relight that lump...)

https://houseandhome.com/recipe/bbq-turkey-breast-recipe/

As a punishment for using the wrong rub, I picked up some mole and pineapple dizzy pig online while waiting for the cook to cook. I was inspired by the Dizzy pig mole posting by @northGAcock!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    booksw said:
    Both the ribs and the turkey came out amazing

For sure both worth repeating (I have made ribs this way many times but it was a first for the turkey which I didn’t get a pic).  @smbishop posted the turkey recipe back in Jan and I will repost below.
    I am glad you were able to try out the recipe, it is a winner in my book.  In regards to the Smokeware Cap, I have one on both my small and large.  I spray with oven cleaner and put in a garbage bag overnight.  The last time, I forgot about it and it was 48 hours.  Everything just rinsed off in hot water, and it was in bad shape, before!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.