Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf Recipe?Question?

Options
Smokin' Wolverine
Smokin' Wolverine Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was looking for new meatloaf recipe. Also wondering at what temp and should I smoke them or not. I was also wondering if I were to cook 3 or 4 on the egg, could I freeze them and reheat them later? [p]thanks in advance
Smokin' Wolverine

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Smokin' Wolverine,
    I saw a cheeseburger meatloaf recipe from Paula Deen on the food TV network. I'm going to try it for my next meatloaf. There are quite a few good meatloaf recipes in the bge recipe section. There is one made with pork sausage and ground beef with pablanos thats very good. Hope that helps, Tom

• mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    Smokin' Wolverine,[p]This recipe always turns out great for me. It works fine in a loaf pan without the potatoes and onions around it as well. They also freeze really well, so you might as well make a bunch, freeze and reheat as needed. I don't usually use any smoke and I cook em indirect over the platesetter. Around 375°-400°.[p]Hope this helps.
    -Jill[p]
    Grilled Meat Loaf

2 yellow onions
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    1/3 cup tomato paste
    1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
    1 cup grated white Cheddar (about 4 ounces)
    1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
    1 egg, beaten
    3 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 pound new potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
    2 tablespoons olive oil[p]Heat grill to medium. Finely dice 1/2 onion. In a large bowl, combine the diced onion, beef, tomato paste, bread crumbs, Cheddar, parsley, egg, 2 teaspoons of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Have ready 2 sheets of foil, each 3 feet long, stacked on top of each other. Fold the foil in half, then unfold, so there's a crease in the center. Place the mixture in the center of the right half and shape it into a loaf. Cut the remaining onions into 1-inch wedges. Place the onions and potatoes around the loaf, drizzle with the oil, and season with the remaining salt and pepper. Fold the left side of the foil over the top, and fold all the edges together several times to create a tight seal. Place on grill and cook, turning upside down every 6 to 7 minutes, until the loaf is cooked through and registers 150° F on an instant-read thermometer, about 40 minutes total. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.[p]Tip: If you're grilling the main dish, select sides that can also be cooked outdoors so you don't have to run between stovetop and grill. [p]Yield: Makes 4 servings[p]CALORIES 630.14(50% from fat); FAT 35.32g (sat 14.37g); PROTEIN 47.16mg; CHOLESTEROL 193.1mg; CALCIUM 288.58mg; SODIUM 1273.86mg; FIBER 3.55g; CARBOHYDRATE 29.94g; IRON 6.48mg
    Real Simple, AUGUST 2005[p]

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Smokin' Wolverine, I've been using this recipe for over a year, and ..... well you'll see![p]Posted by WudEyeDoo on May 24, 2004 at 18:35:52: [p]I had a few people ask for the recipe I used to cook meatloaf at the Texas Eggfest this past weekend. I got this recipe from Mike Harmon on the Outdoor Home website. I have made just a couple modifications, but pretty much stuck with his original recipe since it's so good. Also, I usually make a double batch and divide it into 3 loaves. I freeze the 2 extra to cook some other time.
    2 lbs ground beef
    1 lb ground pork
    1 TBS canola oil
    1/2 cup minced onion
    1/2 cup chopped green or red pepper
    1 cup bread crumbs
    2 TBS Worcestershire
    3 cloves minced garlic
    1 egg
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp Kosher salt
    1 tsp Tabasco
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 cup beef stock
    Warm the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and bell pepper and sautés. As it sautés, add the pepper, salt, cumin, garlic and continue cooking until veggies are softened. Put the veggies into a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well with your hands. Then mound the mixture to form your meatloaf. When doing a double batch, this makes 3 good-sized meatloafs. I then sprinkle a liberal amount of Montreal Steak Seasoning on all sides of the meatloaf. I'm sure other rubs would work just as well.
    I have one of those wire mesh meatloaf pans, which is great because smoke gets in from all sides. Use one of those or something that will allow smoke to hit the meat top to bottom.
    Cook indirect at about 330-degree dome temp. You will need a drip pan. I have used Jack Daniels wood chips and that is awesome smoke for a meatloaf. I have used hickory vs. the J.D. with good results also. Cook to an internal temp of 160 degrees. It takes about an hour and a half. Let sit for 10 minutes and serve. [p]I leave out the hot sauce. And add some mushrooms to the saute. This is an exceptional meat loaf. You won't be disappointed.
    Mike

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    mojopin,[p]It was lookin' real fine until I got to the nutritional information...
  • mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    mojopin,[p]OUCH, I don't didn't notice that. I always use half lean turkey meat whenever I cook, and a lean beef and a lower fat/cal cheese. [p]They only real fat/calories in the recipe is in the cheese and meat.[p]Next time I'll omit the nutritional guide if it has one! LOL[p]-Jill
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Smokin' Wolverine,
    Here is one that we like. [p]Meatloaf, Richard

I recently did one on the small indirect at 325-350F about an hour pulled around 150F.
    [p]***** 2 Meatloaves*****
    2 Lbs. Ground Chuck
    2 Lbs. Ground Round
    3 Whole Eggs
    1 Large Vidalia Onion, Chopped Medium
    10-15 Saltine Crackers, Crushed
    1/2-3/4 Cup Spicy Ketchup
    1/2-3/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
    2-3 Tbs. Dijon Mustard
    1-2 Cups Pepper Ridge Farms Herbed Seasoning Stuffing
    1-1 1/2 Pkg. Lipton Onion Soup Mix
    Coarse Peppermill Black Pepper, to taste
    *****Sauce, 1 Meatloaf*****
    1 Cup Spicy Ketchup
    1/4 Cup Dijon Mustard
    1/2-3/4 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
    2-3 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
    Ground Pepper to taste

1 The meat recipe makes 2 nice 10 inch diameter loaves and they are about 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick. The sauce is for one meatloaf. The meat recipe may be halved or the other loaf frozen, which is what I do.
    2 When mixing the meat and other ingredients, mix about 1/3 saltine crackers and 2/3 Pepper Ridge stuffing, do in 1/4 -1/2 cup portions so as not to dry out the mixture.
    3 Covered with the sauce at the beginning of the cook.
    4 You want the sauce to be thick. if necessary thin with water or more vinegar. Slather all over! Nice to have a little sauce left over, to serve with. Play with the ratios of ketchup and mustard until you reach a point that makes you happy. Enjoy!!

Yield: 2-2 Pound Loaves

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 09/05/06

[p]

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Smokin' Wolverine,[p]I finally posted my favorite meatloaf recipe in the submitted recipes list. I don't smoke this recipe, just cook it in the egg.
    [ul][li]Cajun Meatloaf[/ul]
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Smokin' Wolverine,[p]Dr. BBQ's book has a recipe produces a delicious meat loaf