Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prefer the Daisy Wheel to rEGGulator

Does anyone else prefer the Daisy Wheel over the newer rEGGulator? I recently just got an XL after 2 years without an egg. Prior to this I had a Large with the older Daisy wheel. I find that I have much harder time dialing in low and slow temps on this new design. To get this egg to hold anywhere under 260-ish I have to REALLY close down the top vent, to the point where it almost looks like it's fully closed. On both setups i used/am using a temp control blower, so the lower vent is not an issue. I just get concerned that the airflow is so low, and the bark i'm getting is a little on the weak side because of it. It's acting more like an oven than a smoker which I didn't have that issue on the old large with the daisy wheel. 

Comments

• I went from daisy wheel to SW cap and struggled for a bit. Having that temp with as closed as you say. I wonder if you gasket is sealed good? I have no exp. with a fan so that may be causing the issue....
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    First off, Welcome!  But it sounds like you've been egging before; were you on the forum when you had your Large?
    Regarding your issue.  I've never had/used a bottom blower unit; do they close off when the fan isn't running?  I would think, like any other fan, when its not operating air could flow past the blades, and unless its a really small fan, that's a lot more open area than a normal bottom vent, set to credit-card width.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    I don't have any problems controlling temps but I don't like how hard it is to adjust, I have to hit it with my palm to make it move, also it does not fit on my dome with the gasket.
      The Smobot cannibalized my daisy wheel set up so I bought the reggulator and so far I am not a fan. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    Gotta admit-I'm into simplifying my life and along with that goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  So, for me using the DFMT (aka daisy wheel) works so I can't offer a comparison.  MY BGEs reside under a covered outdoor porch so the weather issue may drive some concerns but not here.  FWIW-
    BTW-welcome to the forum.  Above all, continue to have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    cbauer210 said:
    I have to REALLY close down the top vent, to the point where it almost looks like it's fully closed. 
    I noticed this in my first cooks with it but frankly I have changed so much in last 6 months I had to relearn- KAB, Base, Dome, Reggulator....

My issue is the removal of it- the daisy wheel and the wire was easy to take off, put the ceramic one on and forget about it.  The Reggulator is too hot to take off so I have to wait a few hours and then swap it.

Now either way I only use a top control device on L&S which is maybe 1 of 20 cooks so I dont care that much.  I generally use the Reggulator now just to get used to it and since I dont have a cover its nice to have the rain protection.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    I use the smokeware cap and love it.  Cooked ribs in a storm earlier this week and no problem.  
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I've never strayed from the daisy wheel cap. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    I have found the prototype tri-top smokeware cap has really upped my game.  Very fine control.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I have found the prototype tri-top smokeware cap has really upped my game.  Very fine control.

Checking calendar to make sure it is not April 1...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I just get concerned that the airflow is so low, and the bark i'm getting is a little on the weak side because of it. It's acting more like an oven than a smoker which I didn't have that issue on the old large with the daisy wheel. 
    Don’t think the issue is the different tops. At any given temp, the airflow will be the same regardless of the top. More likely you are noticing a large to xl difference. 

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344

Checking calendar to make sure it is not April 1...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• mpenacho
    mpenacho Posts: 25
    I just get concerned that the airflow is so low, and the bark i'm getting is a little on the weak side because of it. It's acting more like an oven than a smoker which I didn't have that issue on the old large with the daisy wheel. 
    Don’t think the issue is the different tops. At any given temp, the airflow will be the same regardless of the top. More likely you are noticing a large to xl difference. 

I definitely see temperature control differences between the large and the XL.  Both work perfectly well, but for a given temperature, the XL will have a much smaller top/bottom opening than the large will.

When I first bought my large, I watched a YouTube video where a guy demonstrated his XL, showing a comparatively small gap on the bottom vent, saying this was where his was approximately 400 degrees.  My large tends to need a bigger gap to hit that temp.  When I added an XL, I was a bit surprised that what he showed tended to be much closer to what I saw.
    LBGE, XLBGE
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    My blower has a little trap door that closes shut when the fan is off. Much like the flapper on a bathroom exhaust fan or the vent cap on the side of the house for the bathroom/dryer exhaust. I have zero issues getting 225 on my XL with the daisy wheel partially closed and the blower. It shouldn't really matter how much your vent cap is open as the air cannot feed the coals unless BOTH the vent and the firebox slider door are open. What blower do you have???
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    I have a blower unit with an XL and went back to manual control because it had a hard time holding below 275
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • I like the daisy wheel the best.  The Smokeware cap is a pain to use to me, so I only use it in the rain. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I think they both offer advantages.  I am one that has converted mine over to the new reggulator and love its changes.  I dont use the daisy wheel and ceramic cap anymore, I like the simplification of one device.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited May 2020
    Some of us use nothing up on top and do 100% of the control from the bottom vent. Have not used the Daisy Wheel in 10 years. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Mickey said:
    Some of us use nothing up on top and do 100% of the control from the bottom vent. Have not used the Daisy Wheel in 10 years. 
    This was actually my control method for many years. I still often leave the reggulator wide open and control with the bottom only. 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892

I am holding off for now on the tri-cap. I hear the octa-cap is now in a Beta-test. Can't wait! I heard that the top slider can dial in the temperature to within .01 degress.
  • BGEmang
    BGEmang Posts: 9
    just made a new post about this. my daisy wheel is breaking down. i'd prefer to get a new one, but seems rEGGulator is only option...
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    I have a large with the old school daisy wheel.  If they are the same size (large and XL), I would be willing to trade you my old style cap for your new style.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).