Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Omaha Steaks in the trash

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123

I didn't think to shoot the pic till a few people had washed hands and tossed paper towels in the trash over them.

Work was nice enough to send me a box of steaks.  For some reason, the FedEx delivery person decided to hide them on the garage door side of our house, by the smaller door that only gets opened when the lawn mower or trash can needs to leave/enter the garage.  As we're under a stay at home order (other than shopping and certain other activities) due to covid-19, we're not exactly getting out much.  They sat out in the heat for nearly 24h before my wife noticed them. When I brought them in, the dry ice was gone.  Steaks were nearly room temp. 

I called Omaha and explained what had happened, and they're going to reship the order with instructions to deliver to the front door.

One of the boxes was ribeye cap steaks, which I've never cooked and never even seen in this form.  It's the cap off a full ribeye roast, cut into large squares.  Anyone have recommendations for cooking those?

The only thing that didn't end up in the trash was Omaha Steaks Signature Seasoning.  Anyone use/like that?  It's got two kinds of sugar in it, which isn't something I'd normally think to put on steaks I'm going to cook on a >=400F egg.  I normally just use a kosher salt, pepper, paprika mix.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,478
    Options
    One word-FedEx!  I do believe their drivers could screw up a two car funeral.  
    Sorry about that but at least the company will take care of you however, I would check any place where a shipping company could leave product.  Perhaps Omaha will switch to UPS.  (no affiliation with either company but I do keep personal performance based metrics).
    Even with FedEx you should have received an email letting you know the shipment was delivered??  Good luck-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @lousubcap - 2 five letter call outs.  You trying to sink it?  Lol

sorry bout your steak OP 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Sadness!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• njl
    Options
    They were a surprise from work, so someone else at work may have gotten the delivery email, and I didn’t know to tell my wife to be looking out for them.  I was actually still in quarantine at the time (got out the next day) as I had a rough time with covid19 (spent 4 weeks in quarantine). 
  • bubbajack
    Options
    I hate to hear that.....hope things are going better and will continue to improve. I would be interested in hearing your story.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• njl
    Options
    bubbajack said:
    I hate to hear that.....hope things are going better and will continue to improve. I would be interested in hearing your story.
    About the next batch of steaks or what it was like having covid-19?  😀
  • bubbajack
    Options
    Cv19

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Interested to hear your story as well, but glad to hear you are doing better.

Re: ribeye cap.  A great rich cut.  Yes, it is what it is called, the cap of the ribeye.   Salt it in the morning on both sides, then cook it fast and really hot. While I normally like my steaks rare, this one I like a bit more medium.  But be careful, it cooks really really fast. Also, because it is so rich, you do not need as large as a normal steak to fill you up.  Do a search on here - lots of posts about the ribeye cap.  

Hope you continue to get better every day.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • njl
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Covid-19 pretty much sucked.  I kept a detailed log of time/temperature and meds.

Day 0 (didn't know what I had), was just a mildly itchy throat and non-productive cough.
    Day 1, woke up with a fever, figured this could be covid-19, quarantine began.  By the evening, I had a really bad headache and took some advil for it.
    Day 2, I felt well enough to work from bed.  Fever was still there, but barely.
    Day 3, still barely running a fever, but feeling worse.  No energy, just wanted to try to sleep.
    Day 4, the fever is a little worse, 100-101 most of the day.

By day 4, qualifications for testing were relaxed, and I was eligible for testing, so I drove myself to the local walk-in clinic and was tested first for strep, then flu, and when both were negative, they tested me for covid-19.  That test took 5 days to get a result.

Days 1-4, I only took advil occasionally for head/neck aches.  I figured, fever is the body's way of fighting, so let it run as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Days 5-11 I was taking advil and tylenol pretty frequently, at times every 4h to keep the fever under control.  Towards the end of this time, I was also using a cold wash cloth on my head, neck, and chest/belly, to help keep the fever down.  Day 11 was the last time I took any fever reducers.

Day 5, fever bouncing around from 95.7 - 102.
    Day 6, fever bouncing around from 98.8 - 102.3. 
    Day 7, fever 99 - 102.6
    Day 8, 99.2 - 102.2.  GI symptoms start...diarrhea, nausea.  My covid-19 test comes back positive.
    Day 8-9 around 1am on the 9th day, my wife is concerned by my breathing.  I'm basically panting...short shallow breaths.  She wants me to go to the hospital, and I'm tired of fighting and figure maybe they can do something helpful.  So, I take an ambulance ride to the ER.  The ambulance techs can't hit a vein.  BP is like 110/40.  ER nurse has no trouble finding a vein, starts an IV and takes a blood sample.  They roll in a portable x-ray and do a chest x-ray.  After an hour or two, the ER doc says my chest x-ray is clear, I'm not that sick, and I need to go home.  A week or so later, I see the radiology report, and it says I had pneumonia.
    Day 9, 97.6 - 101.7.  Started 11 days of azithromycin.
    Day 10, 97.6 - 100.3.  Started 10 days of hydroxychloroquine (had to get this Rx via family connections as the local doctors would not prescribe anything beyond the z-pak).

I didn't record it, but sometime late in the first week before the ER trip, I blacked out while trying to brush my teeth.  I'm pretty religious about brushing and flossing, and for a couple of days, I couldn't even get myself up to brush.  When the ER released me, they asked if I could walk to the lobby or needed to be wheeled.  I said I could try to walk.  I got light headed on the way, and just made it to a sofa like thing in the lobby where I blacked out.  Around this time, I was so weak, my wife gave me a chair which I put in front of my sink, so I could brush my teeth sitting.  I ended up sitting on the shower floor for a couple of showers.

Day 11, 98.6 - 100.4.  Early morning, I puked until my stomach was empty...looked like just water.
    Day 12, 98.3 - 100.3
    Day 13, 97.8 - 99.8
    Day 14, 97.6 - 99.3
    Day 15, 97.6 - 99.1
    Day 16, 98.4 - 98.8
    Day 17, 97.0 - 98.8
    Day 18, 97.7 - 98.8.  Drove back to the clinic to get retested.  They won't test me at their outdoor setup without a doctor's order, and I'm not allowed inside because I'm known to be covid-19 positive.  I go home and try doing a video consult so I can get a doctor's order for retesting.  They refuse to write the order.  An hour later, they call me back and say if I go back to the clinic, they will retest me outside.  I get there and am told they won't test me outside, but I can come in through the back door, go to an exam room, and they'll retest me.  The doctor arrives, examines me, we talk for 20-30 minutes, and he says there's no need to retest me, I'm symptom-free and can leave quarantine.  I argue that I want to be really sure I don't put my wife and kids through this, and have to know for sure.  They send me back out to the parking lot and I'm retested.  60h later, the test comes back positive.  I call the clinic to see when I can come back for another retest, they'll have to look into that and get back to me.  Hours later, they do call me, and say one week from the last time I was tested.

Day 19, 97.6 - 98.1
    Day 20, 97.4 - 98.7
    Day 21, 97.7 - 97.9
    Day 22, 97.1 - 98.1
    Day 23, 97.2 - 98.5
    Day 24, 97.4 - 97.7
    Day 25, 97.3 - 98.5.  It's been a week since my last positive retest, so I head to the clinic first thing in the morning.  When I get there, I'm told by the "greeters" who sit under a shelter outside the front door (in gloves and masks) that they're no longer doing outdoor testing, and I can't go inside because I'm known to have been covid positive.  Having gotten this sort of run around the last time I came for retesting, I'm pissed, and I ignore them, walk inside, and say I'm covid positive and am here for retesting.  Front desk lady was not amused (everyone, myself included, is masked).  She says I need to wait in my car and they'll let me know when they're ready for me.  Time passes.  I eventually find out they called my home phone before my cell phone, but they do eventually call my cell and tell me to knock on the back door and they'll give me a test kit to take back to my car.  60h later, this one comes back
    Day 26, 97.7 - 97.8
    Day 27, 97.3 - 97.7
    Day 28 second retest comes back negative.  Quarantine ended.

I'm still a little weak (don't have as much energy as I should), but basically feel better.
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Options
    sounds like you were rekt.  but i'm glad you're feeling better!

if you weren't sick, I probably would have dumpster dived those steaks in the trash.  I'd cook them soon though, in that condition.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,692
    Options
    Damnit boy that sounds worse than anything I’ve ever had. Any idea where you picked it up?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• njl
    Options
    Damnit boy that sounds worse than anything I’ve ever had. Any idea where you picked it up?
    Pretty much the only exposure I had to “outsiders” was grocery shopping. We’d both been working from home and only going out for food/supplies. 
  • bubbajack
    Options
    Good greef man. That sounds like a battle. I am very happy that you are on the mend and the family is OK. For the life of me, I do not understand why Docs are not prescribing HCQ. We maybe could have saved a lot more people from this $hit. Time will tell.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,478
    Options
    What an ordeal to go thru.  Glad you are clear of this and were able to spare your family.  Thank you for the detailed notes.  Not sure I would have had the presence of mind for that given what you were facing.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That sucks, man.  I'd say I'd rather have Fedex f up a delivery than the Covid alternative.

Keep healing and enjoy that cap of ribeye once it shows up.

It's the nicest meat I've ever had.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    bubbajack said:
    Good greef man. That sounds like a battle. I am very happy that you are on the mend and the family is OK. For the life of me, I do not understand why Docs are not prescribing HCQ. We maybe could have saved a lot more people from this $hit. Time will tell.
    What is HCQ?
  • DrMongoose
    Options
    pretty awesome of Omaha Steaks to reship your order. Good eats! 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    From the NIH published guidelines on treating COVID patients:

AIII is from their recommendation rating system.  A=strong recommendation.  III=expert opinion (vs data from controlled trial)

@njl I’m really glad you’re better.  Sounds like a scary experience.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,592
    Options
    You are not Focker by chance? That trash can looks vaguely familiar 😏
    On a serious note glad you are better.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    Legume said:
    From the NIH published guidelines on treating COVID patients:

AIII is from their recommendation rating system.  A=strong recommendation.  III=expert opinion (vs data from controlled trial)

@njl I’m really glad you’re better.  Sounds like a scary experience.
    So that’s HCQ?  Sounds like you have your answer there, @bubbajack
  • njl
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    bubbajack said:
    What is HCQ?
    Hydroxychloroquine is one of the drugs that was used to treat/prevent malaria.  AFAIK, somewhere along the way, it was discovered to also have anti-inflammatory and immuno-suppressive effects.  It's commonly prescribed to treat rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.  I don't know where the idea came from to use it for these Chinese coronaviruses, but it apparently was used as a treatment in the past for SARS and MERS.  For me, it seemed to get the fever under control within a day of starting it.

Because Trump pushed it as a possible treatment, its use seems to have been politicized, and so you have people on the right saying everyone should try it, and people on the left saying it won't do squat for your covid-19 and might kill you. 

If anyone else in my family catches this, I'll be making some phone calls to get them an Rx for it, preferably much sooner in the illness than I got it.  To me, it definitely seemed to help, and at 200mg 2xDay, I noticed no side effects with the possible exception of "read the bottle, and don't take it on an empty stomach".  The morning I puked, I'd taken both HCQ and one of the zpak pills together about 45min earlier (before breakfast).  After that, I started a routine of taking HCQ immediately after breakfast and after dinner, and azithromycin immediately after lunch.
  • njl
    Options
    brentm said:
    sounds like you were rekt.  but i'm glad you're feeling better!

if you weren't sick, I probably would have dumpster dived those steaks in the trash.  I'd cook them soon though, in that condition.
    The lady I spoke with at Omaha Steaks said the steaks would probably be safe to eat if I cooked them all immediately.  I told her I just got out of 4 weeks of quarantine due to having covid-19, and I'm not interested in rolling the dice on that. 

For at least a week, maybe more, I was having diarrhea and took imodium for several days.  I did not want a replay of that.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    Why did you take Advil? Everything I read said no ibuprofen and only acetaminophen. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Legume
    Options
    Why did you take Advil? Everything I read said no ibuprofen and only acetaminophen. 

Again, NIH treatment guidelines.  These are updated as new information warrants.
  • njl
    Options
    I had read and been told about some of the early advice that ibuprofen might make it worse.  Advil is what we had, and though my wife ended up going out and getting extra strength Tylenol, historically, Tylenol hasn't been an effective fever reducer for me.  Over 102F, is like the next level of feeling like crap for me...so I took what I could to try keeping the fever below 102. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,366
    Options
    Glad you recovered, please consider giving blood when you’re well enough. I hear good things from the use of it from survivors. Omaha Steaks not that good but it was a nice gift and the way things are now we can’t be as choosy. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • njl
    Options
    Anyone have any opinion on their "Signature Seasoning" for use on steaks?
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    Ahh, the Laimstream Media strikes again with fake news! I fell victim....
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Legume
    Options
    Ahh, the Laimstream Media strikes again with fake news! I fell victim....
    Media reports what people say.  Someone was saying it.  Newsworthy is a lower bar than medical advice worthy.