Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

flame boss 400 vs. 500?

Ole lady finally gave me the greenlight to get a temperature controller. Looks like BGE sells the flameboss under their BGE brand (similar to Rockwood lump charcoal sold as "BGE" brand charcoal). Based off of price it looks like the one sold at my local ace hardware is the Flameboss 400, retailing at around $230. 

Any thoughts on flameboss 400 vs 500 and the reason to pay $100+ more for the flameboss 500?

thanks and be safe

Comments

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    The FB 500 has a separate display and can work without any internet or bluetooth connection. You can't make settings or adjustments on the FB 400 without your phone. That being said, the connections seem pretty solid, so that might not be an issue. I have a 500 and would not consider using the 400 at all. My opinion.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    tbramse said:
    Ole lady finally gave me the greenlight to get a temperature controller. Looks like BGE sells the flameboss under their BGE brand (similar to Rockwood lump charcoal sold as "BGE" brand charcoal). Based off of price it looks like the one sold at my local ace hardware is the Flameboss 400, retailing at around $230. 

Any thoughts on flameboss 400 vs 500 and the reason to pay $100+ more for the flameboss 500?

thanks and be safe
    I would recommend the 500.  If you ever have problems with your router or phone, that one is so much easier to setup.  The other one does pretty good, but I'm not a network guy.  I like being able not to have to worry about my network--I can just plug it in and it works.  Plus, being able to monitor multiple meats without having to worry about the y-adapters is nice too.

BTW, we do not bag BGE charcoal.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Like others said, 500 all the way. Definitely worth the extra money.
    Having to pull out a phone to check, change anything will become a pain.
    The large display on the 500 is great.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited April 2020
    tbramse said:

thanks and be safe
    I've had a FlameBoss 200 for a while and have been very happy with it. The thing just works out of the box with no complicated setup.  The company was good about honoring some parts under warranty repair once. Later on, I also bought some new probes when the supplied ones stopped work (age or user handling).

I almost always monitor/control the FlameBoss from my phone.  Except, it is nice to set the temp initially from the display, and when I run out to the grill it's nice to know at a glance instead of pulling out the phone. So I like the display.  You don't have to rely on your home wifi being up and running.

That said, if you don't want to spend $350 for the 500, I see that the 200 is still available on ebay for $187.  I'm sure other folks have it as well.  I think the only thing missing is you can only use one meat probe. The 300 let you do more probes, but once you go up in price for that, might as well get the 500.

I was thinking of getting the BGE branded one as a backup for when I'm running two eggs, myself.  It's just a nice product over all.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • EGoldstein
    EGoldstein Posts: 34
    edited April 2020
    Couple of months ago my Stoker went out and I had the same question, 400(same thing as the BGE branded one) or 500.  I chose the 400 because I already have a iGrill that has 4 meat probes and works great and add the additional one with the 400 and that is way more than enough.  Plus using the app to start and change settings is fine by me and easy to use.  If your internet connection goes off it still works.  The compact design and small footprint is great.  

Bottom line is it works great and perfect every time.  I’m extremely happy with it.  I’m sure the 500 is great also.
    Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I have a 500 in the right now.  

I like having a separate screen and the ability to monitor several pieces of meat. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    What?!?! They have a 500 now. Man I’m behind the times. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    blind99 said:
    What?!?! They have a 500 now. Man I’m behind the times. 

Yep, been out for over a year now.  It's similar to the 300, but double the screen size, no y-adapters needed, and has a new mounting bracket.
  • divr71
    divr71 Posts: 82
    I don’t have any experience with the 400,  but I have a 500 and love it. The support from the company is outstanding also.