Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's up with my chicken?

Options
This has been in the freezer for a week, tops. 

Thawed it out today in a bowl in the sink using cold water and changing every 20-30 minutes.

Removed the wrapper and saw this weird bruising on both wings and other places.

Not asking if it's safe to eat as my wife already saw it and noped out on this bird.

Thoughts?

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,768
    Options
    maybe take it back to the store you brought it from?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • carrda04
    carrda04 Posts: 83
    Options
    It looks like actual, pre-kill bruising. I wouldn't think it could hurt you, but may be a sign of a less than humane slaughterhouse. 

My general rule of thumb is that unless something smells off, you'll likely live.
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    We ditched it and got delivery. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,654
    Options
    See it all the time and never gave it a second thought.  Still here   B)  Likely handling issues or perhaps freezer burn?
    If in doubt toss as especially now the angst is not worth it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,747
    Options
    Bruising vs. blood clotting. Highly doubt  that would have caused any illness, especially given the timelines. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    This has been in the freezer for a week, tops. 

Thawed it out today in a bowl in the sink using cold water and changing every 20-30 minutes.

Removed the wrapper and saw this weird bruising on both wings and other places.

Not asking if it's safe to eat as my wife already saw it and noped out on this bird.

Thoughts?

That chicken had an abusive partner.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    maybe that chicken was choked?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    You should have seen the other chicken
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    Options
    You choked it. 

You choked your chicken. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SaskNortherner
    Options
    We always hang our chickens upside down in a large funnel before we chop their heads off. That way they can’t beat their wings after and cause any bruising.
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I agree with everyone that says it's premortem injury.  Probably safe to eat but you might end up in chicken hell when you die.  If you believe in that stuff, that is.
    This reminds me of a fantastic Christmas story that we now read every year. In the story, entitled “Dave Cooks The Turkey,”, Dave, the bumbling protagonist who stars in author Stuart McLean’s most famous Vinyl Café yarns, promises wife Morley that he will take care of their Christmas turkey. Come Christmastime, however, Dave realizes that he’s forgotten to buy a bird. He rushes to a grocery store in the middle of the night to find that they only have one unappetizing, frozen, Grade B turkey left. Dave takes it home and defrosts it with an electric blanket and hairdryer.

“As the turkey defrosted it became clear what Grade B meant,” a recorded version of the story goes. “The skin on the right drumstick was ripped. Dave’s turkey looked like it had made a break from the slaughterhouse and dragged itself a block or two before it was captured and beaten to death.”

Unable to operate his oven, Dave eventually brings the bird to a hotel for cooking, where the chef says that it looks like the turkey had been “abused.”