Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife rack...

SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,500
Morning All:

Finally got around to getting my "good" knives displayed/mounted (my much better half was nice enough to let me take down what was there)...left to right is a Gunter-Wilhelm 7", Hammer Stahl 9", Misen 10" Chef's, 7" Asian Cleaver & 8" full Cleaver (the last two have the Chain of Lakes Eggfest logo on them)...

Better than having them in boxes in the pantry...makes it much easier to have handy for use!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    That’s awesome!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    That cleaver is the business.
    Mountain View, CA
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning @Photo Egg  & @dmourati

Thanks...the cleaver EASILY cuts chicken wings into separate pieces!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    SSN686 said:
    Morning @Photo Egg  & @dmourati

Thanks...the cleaver EASILY cuts chicken wings into separate pieces!
    Chicken Wings...That’s the same cleaver the Mofia uses!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Funny. Was just thinking about posting about these this morning. I’ve got one still in it’s packaging that I wasn’t going to install until I was in my forever home (next month). However, the one I picked up has metal tracks that I suspect will mark up my prized steel. Can anyone speak to whether these racks have scuffed up their blades?
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 456
    My knives have been stored on a magnetic wall strip since 1976. Very convenient and no damage to them.  
    IL 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Funny. Was just thinking about posting about these this morning. I’ve got one still in it’s packaging that I wasn’t going to install until I was in my forever home (next month). However, the one I picked up has metal tracks that I suspect will mark up my prized steel. Can anyone speak to whether these racks have scuffed up their blades?
    If you are worried about blade damage, check out this maker who wraps the magnetic holders in leather or other material.

https://piotrthebear.com/57-shop

I don't own one but I found out about him in the knife forums.
    Mountain View, CA
  • dmourati said:
    Funny. Was just thinking about posting about these this morning. I’ve got one still in it’s packaging that I wasn’t going to install until I was in my forever home (next month). However, the one I picked up has metal tracks that I suspect will mark up my prized steel. Can anyone speak to whether these racks have scuffed up their blades?
    If you are worried about blade damage, check out this maker who wraps the magnetic holders in leather or other material.

https://piotrthebear.com/57-shop

I don't own one but I found out about him in the knife forums.
    Thanks. Good option there. There’s also a local manufacturer who covers all metal and magnetic components in various exotic woods. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    Yes, I ruined a few cheap german knives with one of those racks.  I now have a dedicated drawer with a wooden tray for my knives.

I can't decide which of the last 2 (on the right) is my favorite.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Love my double sided, wood wrapped magnetic holder from Costco. Small footprint and no risk of dropping. Don't laugh at my el cheapo knives  :)  the yellow chef and orange boning are my favourites, they are retired from Nella's commercial knife rental/sharpening programme and resharpened before selling at their restaurant supply store. At 5 and 2 loonies respectively, they're almost disposable.

canuckland
  • Love my double sided, wood wrapped magnetic holder from Costco. Small footprint and no risk of dropping. Don't laugh at my el cheapo knives  :)  the yellow chef and orange boning are my favourites, they are retired from Nella's commercial knife rental/sharpening programme and resharpened before selling at their restaurant supply store. At 5 and 2 loonies respectively, they're almost disposable.

That looks nice and would suit my needs well, except that I’d really prefer not to have my holder take any precious counter real estate - even despite a small footprint. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    @GrateEggspectations just 3.5x11" I use the gap between dishdrainer and wall. 
    canuckland
  • @Canugghead: Thanks for the info. Ill take some measurements once I get into my new (old) home. The kitchen has no hood fan whatsoever. The floor is linoleum and has all the pizzaz of an old church basement. Remodel stat!
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    we had something like this in our restaurants growing up.  they were restaurant supply quality knives but it kept them safe, and kept their edge.

those are some nice looking knives!