Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I get high temperatures?

Options
Struggle to get my egg above 300f.  I let charcoal burn for 15 min or so then close the lid, keeping bottom vent and adjustable top cowl   full open, but to no effect.

Had another go yesterday and left the top cowl off completely, got the temp I wanted but food had a bad smoke flavour.

Obviously low temps are fine for low and slow but I want to do other stuff.

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I don't know what kind of top cowl you have, but I take the top off completely for high temperatures, it's only useful for control at lower temperatures.

For the bad smoke taste, what lump are you using. I use the cleanest burning lump I can get here in the UK (we don't get Rockwood here) and never get any bad taste at all. With some lump, it's almost impossible to get rid of the bad smoke taste.
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Bad lump or not enough of it.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,043
    Options
    Depending on the lump 15 minutes might not be long enough before the heavy unpleasant smoke goes away. 

Did you try aligning the fire bowl opening with the lower vent? 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,485
    Options
    As you are well aware, if you have adequate fuel and get the fire going it's all about air-flow as addressed above.  If you want high temps, light the lump load in 3-4 places and make sure you have a good amount of lump burning before shutting the dome.  Temps should quickly climb unless air-flow restricted.
    Regarding the bad smoke smell-trust the nose.  If the smoke smells good it is good and it can take a while to get there.
    BTW-dome thermo one point calibrated?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Kmm
    Kmm Posts: 54
    Options
    Eoin said:
    I don't know what kind of top cowl you have, but I take the top off completely for high temperatures, it's only useful for control at lower temperatures.

For the bad smoke taste, what lump are you using. I use the cleanest burning lump I can get here in the UK (we don't get Rockwood here) and never get any bad taste at all. With some lump, it's almost impossible to get rid of the bad smoke taste.
    where do you get your “lump” from ?
  • Kmm
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    As you are well aware, if you have adequate fuel and get the fire going it's all about air-flow as addressed above.  If you want high temps, light the lump load in 3-4 places and make sure you have a good amount of lump burning before shutting the dome.  Temps should quickly climb unless air-flow restricted.
    Regarding the bad smoke smell-trust the nose.  If the smoke smells good it is good and it can take a while to get there.
    lousubcap said:
    Kept it open for about 20 mins, fire bowl was cleaned out and aligned, large coals on,y to maintain airflow. I didn’t use any wood to flavour, smell was from the charcoal
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can get a "high temperature" from the covid-19, but I would not recommend it.

In all seriousness, are you lighting the top of the lump or the bottom?
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Depending on the lump 15 minutes might not be long enough before the heavy unpleasant smoke goes away. 

Did you try aligning the fire bowl opening with the lower vent? 
    Sure did 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    some lump takes longer to burn clean than others, and damp lump can take longer. when it smells clean, cook on it. with regards to low and slows, it doesnt need to be burning as clean as it does with other cooks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kmm
    Options

“You can get a "high temperature" from the covid-19, but I would not recommend it. 

In all seriousness, are you lighting the top of the lump or the bottom”

sort of within in
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,043
    Options
    You should pick yourself up a weed torch from Harbor Freight to light your egg to get temps going
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    on top, light 3 places, bottom vent open, top vent fully open, daisy on the ground, no ash buildup, lots of lump, give it time. it will eventually get to 1200f degrees and shoot a blue flame out the dome 3 to 4 feet if you let it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What fish said, light the top and let it burn like a candle.  You'll get better smoke, faster, and it will burn hotter.
    edited April 2020
    Options
    If you havent gotten a high temp. yet. Your either not trying, not paying attention, thermometer is way off, or your lump sucks.