Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke leak

Options
Hi all,

I just replaced my gaskets on my Large Egg. I have serious smoke leaking out of the right side (facing egg handle). I’ve tried adjusting the bands with spacers and I can practically slide a business card in and out with little to no resistance on the right side. Does anyone have suggestions?

Comments

• bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    Did you replace your gasket with a Rutland?  A couple of weeks ago I installed a Rutland gasket, before replacing gasket I had leaks after installing Rutland no leaks...just sayin!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• JethroBodeen
    Options
    Throw away the spacers and go at again with a dollar bill to test with and some wrenches to tighten it up as you go...
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    When you replaced your gasket, did you remove or loosen any hardware?  Also did you have the gap before replacing your gasket?
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • HuevosLoco
    Options
    Thanks all. I used the Nomex felt replacement. I may try the Rutland. The dollar bill test works all the way around the egg, except for the right side, from middle to back. The only hardware I loosened were the band bolts. No gap before replacing. 
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    Then your problem maybe corrected with a realignment of the dome.  I'm sure others with more experience in this area will chime in.  Either way, good luck on correcting your issue.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • HuevosLoco
    Options
    Thank you. I’ll wait fore more to chime in. 
  • mpenacho
    mpenacho Posts: 25
    Options
    What has worked for me in the past

You have aligned everything with the spacers and tightened down the bands and when all is said and done, one side is a little looser - the dollar bill pulls out too easily.

What has happened is that the tight bands hold the top of the egg a little out of alignment with the bottom of the egg.  You can correct this by changing the angle a tiny bit before you tighten the bands.
    • Put a couple of dollar bills on the exact opposite of the loose side.
    • Close the lid.
    • Loosen the bands a bit.
    • Give the top of the egg a (very) little push all around - to seat it against the lower half of the egg (with the extra space on the tight side, opposite the loose side.
    • Tighten the bands as before.
    • Check the dollar bill test.

LBGE, XLBGE
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Throw away the spacers!
  • HuevosLoco
    Options
    Mpenacho, your trick worked. Thank ounall!