Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Newbie with Quick Question

Options
Is there a way to cook a pre-made pizza on the BGE? I was thinking about buying a grocery store pre-made pizza but still not cooked yet.  My local store in Huntsville, AL sells different styles of pizza and keeps them refrigerated and allows customers to buy them raw.

How would you recommend cooking? Egg temperature, corn meal, parchment paper? I have never cooked a pizza on the BGE but I do have a stone to break in.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Of course you can. Use the platesetter and cook indirect. Remember the egg is just an oven. Follow the package instructions for temp on the egg. You probably don’t want high temps for a frozen pizza- you’ll burn it. 
    I’d probably put it on parchment paper just to make life easier. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    SciAggie gives great advice. I do have 4 more suggestions 1) if you have 2 stones, use them.  Inverted platesetter then rack then pizza stone is a great setup. 
    2) The higher in the dome you can get your pizza the better. 
    3) Make sure you have the stones in there for a good 30 mins.  
    4) I do put a little mild flavor smoking wood to get a little more wood fire taste. (Totally optional). 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Chuckie_T
    Chuckie_T Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for the comments!  The pizzas are refrigerated and not frozen, and I noticed on the carry-out box it reads to cook at 425 degrees....sound about right?  Or would the temperature need to be adjusted for Egg cooking versus oven cooking?

Maybe a dumb question but could I use some regular old bricks (like building a house, bricks) to elevate the pie in the Egg?  
  • SciAggie
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I would cook at the recommended temperature. Sure, bricks to elevate the pie work fine. 
    I agree with @Sea2Ski let the egg temps stabilize for 30 minutes or so before cooking the pizza. 
    You got this...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Follow the directions from the person who made the pizza.  Time and temp according to the label on the pizza.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Options
    Someones is cooking Pizza?
  • SciAggie
    Options
    So how did it come out?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon