Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket Install Help!

Options
Hey guys, been egging for about 5 years now, and am FINALLY jumping into the idea of using a good gasket on my medium & large BGEs.  I just installed the gaskets and I can't get the hinge to close the lid on my medium, and during the install on my large i decided to update the hinge to the new one as my last one is F'd.  anybody have any advice to this issue?  is it entirely just a break in period to get the gasket to relax into place and flatten out?  the lid is literally about an inch above where it used to be.

Immediate help would be greatly appreciated as I'm doing a large cook tomorrow to take to my parents house in the 'rona quarantine here in CA.

thanks so much guys!

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
  • JonWesson
    JonWesson Posts: 161
    Options
    what is this rutland gasket?
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited March 2020
    Options
    That makes no sense.  You took off a piece of gasket and replaced it with another.  The band can slide up and down vertically on the dome and base to adjust the alignment. a few millimeters.  There's no way it can be an inch off if properly assembled.

Post some pics.  I'm leaning toward you have the hinges installed upside down or backwards.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Did you put Rutland on both top and bottom?  Only needs to be on bottom
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    I just replaced my gasket with a Rutland, woozier what a difference!!  I've always had small leak somewhere on my Large but after installing (Easy Peasy) the Rutland, zero leaks!  Perfect!!  Only installed on the bottom.

Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• CouplesCaddy
    Options
    Hey guys, the new style hinge on my large seemed to adjust into a pretty good setting for the rutland. But after 15-20 mins of messing with my medium with old style hinge, this is where its chilling.
  • CouplesCaddy
    Options
    Its totally binding up on the back gasket section, almost rolling it off the base
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Is that a rope style gasket?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That gasket doesn’t look right.  Should be flat, that looks like thick rope.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    You need the flat gasket......you bought the rope gasket.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,658
    Options
    Where the fahk is @rrp!?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    installed a rope type on XL few months ago, bottom only, no problem, dome weight flattens it.  a friend gave it to me years ago, I think it's cotronics but not 100% sure

canuckland
  • stlcharcoal
    edited March 2020
    Options
    installed a rope type on XL few months ago, bottom only, no problem, dome weight flattens it.  a friend gave it to me years ago, I think it's cotronics but not 100% sure

The Cotronics woven ceramic gaskets are a lot less "fluffy" than the Rutlands though.  The 5/8" rutland stays pretty thick whereas the flat Cotronics one would pancake down to nothing.  
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Where the fahk is @rrp!?
    I Private messaged @CouplesCaddy to contact RRP via PM. RRP can also be reached via the other forum.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options

The Cotronics woven ceramic gaskets are a lot less "fluffy" than the Rutlands though.  The 5/8" rutland stays pretty thick whereas the flat Cotronics one would pancake down to nothing.  
    Good to know. However, OP’s Large is fine, trouble with Medium only.
    canuckland
  • CouplesCaddy
    Options
    Thanks so much guys, i didnt realize this was anything more than just buy the rutland and install it. Upon further googling there is a flat gasket which i definitely do not have. i just got excited and bought a spool as we have 5 eggs (4 different homes) in my family and i would just upgrade them all. Now it appears im the clown who didnt do their research and have to rebuy the flat type. Thanks for the insight guys! I was wondering how i was the first one to have this issue.  I do a lot of smoking with marinades so i do a lot of burndowns and need something better than the std junk gasket ive been using
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Thanks so much guys, i didnt realize this was anything more than just buy the rutland and install it. Upon further googling there is a flat gasket which i definitely do not have. i just got excited and bought a spool as we have 5 eggs (4 different homes) in my family and i would just upgrade them all. Now it appears im the clown who didnt do their research and have to rebuy the flat type. Thanks for the insight guys! I was wondering how i was the first one to have this issue.  I do a lot of smoking with marinades so i do a lot of burndowns and need something better than the std junk gasket ive been using
    The spool you want is #720......5/8" flat.  It's about $75 for 150'.  Should be enough to do about 25 large BGEs.
  • CouplesCaddy
    Options

The spool you want is #720......5/8" flat.  It's about $75 for 150'.  Should be enough to do about 25 large BGEs.
    Thanks Stlcharcoal, i don't see it on amazon - just the rope type in 5/8", does anybody have a link for the one I need?
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,658
    Options
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thanks Stlcharcoal, i don't see it on amazon - just the rope type in 5/8", does anybody have a link for the one I need?
    Don't make this more difficult for yourself!  - send me an email at:
    r o n . p a t @ c o m c a s t . n e t
    Just take out the spaces!
    Or simply send me a message on this forum.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    You should direct message @rrp He'll get you taken care of easy peasy.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    And he'll even provide instructions. Can't get much simpler
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    just don't forget to send him a check!
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • CouplesCaddy
    Options
    @RRP, just sent you an email.  Thanks so much for the help everybody!
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

https://www.amazon.com/Rutland-720-Grapho-Glas-Gasket-Spool/dp/B000HE8KNI

Just google "Rutland 720"
  • llrickman
    Options
    Just put the rutland on my Large. its not the prettiest but it sure is effective
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • RRP
    Options
    It’s not difficult to do, but if you want to do it correctly so that it will last for many years and seal properly then there are some right and wrong ways...but why should I say that? LOL...

6,520 reasons in 18 years, maybe???
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I am fairly sure I actually put the first rutland on an egg, with their cement. 

But I am dead certain that a couple months later I was the first to use permatex to adhere it. 

And it’s still on, with minimal prep, like 18 years later. 

I scraped off my old original felt one, with a paint scraper. 

Wire brushed it clean, and tried a rutland with their stove cement. The ceramic wicks away the water, which is required for the cure. I started getting loose spots. 

So I went to the hardware store and bought some gasket maker   

I tore off the rutland in one yank. It still had the rutland cement adhered to it. 

Squirted a zig-zag of the permatex on the rim and slapped the gasket back down. No trowels. No effort

That was 18 or 19 years ago 

I don’t know when our intrepid rutland salesman switched over to permatex as well, but it really is much better. 

There was one guy who made the gasket itself from permatex. After all, it is a “gasket maker” sealant. 

He cleaned the rim, squeezed an even thickness of permatex around the rim, put a couple spacers down so it wouldn’t squish out when he shut the lid, laid plastic wrap down, and shut the lid. 

That’s what gave me the idea to just use permatex as the adhesive. 

Your possible future lung cancer from the rutland and permatex is not my responsibility. Hahaha
  • RRP
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    I am fairly sure I actually put the first rutland on an egg, with their cement. 

But I am dead certain that a couple months later I was the first to use permatex to adhere it. 

And it’s still on, with minimal prep, like 18 years later. 

I scraped off my old original felt one, with a paint scraper. 

Wire brushed it clean, and tried a rutland with their stove cement. The ceramic wicks away the water, which is required for the cure. I started getting loose spots. 

So I went to the hardware store and bought some gasket maker   

I tore off the rutland in one yank. It still had the rutland cement adhered to it. 

Squirted a zig-zag of the permatex on the rim and slapped the gasket back down. No trowels. No effort

That was 18 or 19 years ago 

I don’t know when our intrepid rutland salesman switched over to permatex as well, but it really is much better. 

There was one guy who made the gasket itself from permatex. After all, it is a “gasket maker” sealant. 

He cleaned the rim, squeezed an even thickness of permatex around the rim, put a couple spacers down so it wouldn’t squish out when he shut the lid, laid plastic wrap down, and shut the lid. 

That’s what gave me the idea to just use permatex as the adhesive. 

Your possible future lung cancer from the rutland and permatex is not my responsibility. Hahaha
    LOL hey Jeff, welcome back! 
    Going to stick around with this new moniker or revert to your old ones?