Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corona Brisket Rationing

Howdy folks. New guy here on the Egghead Forum. I just got an egg recently and now have a lot more time on my hands to use it thanks to our new friend COVID-19.

I bought a 14lb brisket and thought about rationing it since it's just me and my wife at home. Is it a bad idea to cut it and cook it separately? Or is this fine?  What are some best practices for cooking smaller portions to make it last? Or am I best throwing a social distancing brisket party with the neighbors this weekend?

Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Personally I’d try to cook whole as much as possible.  You could slice off part of the flat.  I wouldn’t smoke that like a regular brisket, but it would be fine ground up to use for burgers, braised, or my personal favorite, sliced thin against the grain, marinated, and grilled hot and fast.

I’m sure somebody will be along with a more professional estimate of the yield, but remember that after trimming and cooking loss, you’re likely going to end up with around 6-7 lbs meat.  You can use up leftovers in sandwiches or tortillas.  I wouldn’t freeze straight leftover brisket like I do with pulled pork, but I would make a double or triple batch of chili and freeze some of that.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Cook the whole thing. Then slice and vacuum seal portions for later. Others may scoff at my method but I have had good results. I actually have been in the process of cleaning out my freezer. I made some brisket tacos two nights ago with pre sliced frozen brisket that was vac sealed. Tasted like it just came off the smoker. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    My vote is to smoke the whole thing and make chili with whatever you don't eat in the few days that follow -- assuming you have some left to freeze. I have frozen leftover brisket to use later in chili and would not hesitate to do so again.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2020
    Cook the whole thing. Then slice and vacuum seal portions for later. Others may scoff at my method but I have had good results. I actually have been in the process of cleaning out my freezer. I made some brisket tacos two nights ago with pre sliced frozen brisket that was vac sealed. Tasted like it just came off the smoker. 
    I love leftover brisket. I've cooked an 18 lb prime brisket with the intention of slicing and freezing all but 1 serving. 

I like to chop it up and mix the point and flat, so you have a good mix of fat and lean. 

Ready for whatever...great for chili, tacos, sandwiches,shepherd pie, etc. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• @SmokeyPitt “I like to chop it up and mix the point and flat, so you have a good mix of fat and lean.”  

I like your style with chopping and mixing. Thanks for the idea to blend the point and flat. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    I am not gonna make light of your question as there is sound advice above.
    But I would go back and buy another so you have options down-stream.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Cook the whole thing. Then slice and vacuum seal portions for later. Others may scoff at my method but I have had good results. I actually have been in the process of cleaning out my freezer. I made some brisket tacos two nights ago with pre sliced frozen brisket that was vac sealed. Tasted like it just came off the smoker. 

Did the same and had brisket hash yesterday and a sandwich today.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Been eating a lot of brisket lately as I've cooked 2 in the past 10 days. 

Put it in the fridge. Make brisket tacos, brisket bbq sandwiches, brisket and eggs. You'll go through it quickly.
    Mountain View, CA
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Brisket tacos for lunch today.

Mountain View, CA