Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Cap

Options

Alright, I'm thinking about getting the Smokeware cap. How is the temp control with it and what about the gasket, does it last?

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Temp control is fine.

It does get HOT as in burn you hot. 

It does drip grease on the outside of the cap. Requires constant cleaning - or not. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Smokin_Hombre
    Options

I'm not surprised about the grease.

• BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    I know I'm a minority here but I don't like mine and stopped using it. I couldn't keep stable temps on long cooks with it on. The temp would be fine for a while but after a couple hours it would creep up making me adjust vents constantly. I switched back to my daisy wheel and the problem went away. Not having to worry about rain on those long smokes was great though, so that is a plus for it. 
  • Smokin_Hombre
    Options

I know I'm a minority here but I don't like mine and stopped using it. I couldn't keep stable temps on long cooks with it on. The temp would be fine for a while but after a couple hours it would creep up making me adjust vents constantly. I switched back to my daisy wheel and the problem went away. Not having to worry about rain on those long smokes was great though, so that is a plus for it. 
    Because of rain is the only reason I was thinking about getting one.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I stand corrected. I don't own one but I've cooked on an Egg with one. 

The creosote does drip down the outside of the cap. I've never had it drip down the outside of the daisy. It would show up against the rust! 

BTW, @RRP, my Rutlund is now well seasoned! Thank you. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I stand corrected. I don't own one but I've cooked on an Egg with one. 

The creosote does drip down the outside of the cap. I've never had it drip down the outside of the daisy. It would show up against the rust! 

BTW, @RRP, my Rutlund is now well seasoned! Thank you. 
    I'd say we BOTH stand corrected - it's a combination of both grease and creosote! 

Glad the gasket is doing what I said it would do...last!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I love my smoke ware caps. I've never had an issue holding temps. I am a little confused why some people are having an issue with this. If temp=air in-air out, then what is different from the smoke ware to the daisy? Does the smoke ware gradually let in more air as a long cook goes on, but the daisy does not? This makes no sense to me.
    GWN
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    @Nanook my SW cap leaks profusely where the bottom and top section meet. The top is a loose fit on the bottom section. 
  • ilwaldens
    ilwaldens Posts: 27
    Options
    No issues with mine.  I actually bought mine before I purchased my LBGE, so all I am use to is the cap.  Works fine for me and have not had a problem with grease or creosote either.  I have cooked in the rain at least 3 times and that was the big reason why I choose to go with the cap.  It does get very hot, so if you have adjust the openings for temp control, be sure to wear gloves.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ilwaldens said:
      Works fine for me and have not had a problem with grease or creosote either.  
     Trust me - in time you will probably want to clean it and you'll be amazed at what you'll see! BTW Easy Off oven cleaner does a great job!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm OCD when it comes to my SS so I clean it after usage and it stays like new. Great product & a fantastic company. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Smokin_Hombre
    Options

RRP said:
    ilwaldens said:
      Works fine for me and have not had a problem with grease or creosote either.  
     Trust me - in time you will probably want to clean it and you'll be amazed at what you'll see! BTW Easy Off oven cleaner does a great job!

That's not so bad, I've done a couple of long cooks and had some of that gunk leak out from the daisy. I really want to use my LBGE more but we have had a lot of rain lately.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Cleaning the DW is a simple task. Light the Egg, don't put the plate setter in under the grate. 500* for a while.....DW and grate will be clean. Wire wheel the remnants off the DW and hit it with some header paint....
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I've had  my SW cap on my Large Egg since they first came out and love it.
    As soon as they come out with one that will fit the vent of my Kamado Joe Jr, I'm all in for one.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    As soon as they come out with one that will fit the vent of my Kamado Joe Jr, I'm all in for one.
    You could make an adapter.....
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    You can make it fit your KJ Jr in the same way I did for my Mini Max - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1183756/mini-max-w-smokeware-cap
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    You can make it fit your KJ Jr in the same way I did for my Mini Max - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1183756/mini-max-w-smokeware-cap
    Very cool!  Now I'd better order one so I can install a piece of Rutland in it for KJ Jr.
    BTW @biggreenrob, what did you use to fasten the Rutland to the cap?
    TIA 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    jaydub58 said:
    Very cool!  Now I'd better order one so I can install a piece of Rutland in it for KJ Jr.
    BTW @biggreenrob, what did you use to fasten the Rutland to the cap?
    TIA 

This is the one I used. It comes with the everything you need:
    Rutland 96N-6 Grapho-Glas Rope Gasket Replacement Kit, 1/2-Inch by 7-Feet 
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    My Daisy Wheel is in the box it came in from BGE     Never been on my LBGE   I just moved the smokeware cap from my Medium when I sold it.    Smokeware should pay me a commission as I have sold at least a dozen of them in my neighborhood LOL
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Smokin_Hombre
    Options
    bo31210 said:
    My Daisy Wheel is in the box it came in from BGE     Never been on my LBGE   I just moved the smokeware cap from my Medium when I sold it.    Smokeware should pay me a commission as I have sold at least a dozen of them in my neighborhood LOL

Well, add 1 more because I just ordered mine, thanks to everybodys input.  
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Smokeware Cap is a awesome. I have had no issues holding temps.  I mostly do longer cooks.  I noticed after about a month or so of cooking with it the egg started closing down a lot faster than when new. The adjustment on the cap never moves with opening and closing the lid.  And it's a bonus if a rain comes while cooking. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Nanook said:
    Never cleaned mine. Seals good with the gunk. 
    Yep, totally.
    NOLA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nanook said:
    Never cleaned mine. Seals good with the gunk. 
    Mine seals good whether it's sparkling clean &/or dirty. :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JackieBlue24
    Options
    I have had mine for sometime and it is quite gunky.  How do you clean it?  I live in Minnesota and it can get stuck until it is warm enough, so that is why I'd like some thoughts on how to clean it. :)

• CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    I love my Smokeware caps as well. Have one on each of my XL’s. Do any of you have an issue with the bottom part of the cap “spinning” on the gasket when you try to make an adjustment? Anyone using something other than the felt gasket they come with? I have one cap that’s pretty gunked up, so that is probably contributing. 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Easy-Off spray oven cleaner works great. Let the cap soak for an hour. Rinse with water and sponge. Sometimes I've had to repeat to get heavy goop off. The results looks good as new.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    love my smokeware, I will never go back to the daisy wheel
    Boom