Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Joining New Band "Bandwagon", instructions seem incomplete

Options
My originals (over 10 yr. old) bands have some wear on the pivot point bolts and require periodic adjustment to maintain the "dollar bill" test.  They are still serviceable but decided it was time to upgrade to the new style.
The instructions that came with the new bands are of a pictorial nature, no written guidence at all.
These instructions indicted the two nuts holding the side hinge piece to the lower band do not get tightened beyond finger tight.  Is this accurate?  Seems to be an omission to me.  Also, once the band bolts are tight does it matter which order the multiple nuts are tightened?
I hope to get new band installed within next several days, weather permitting, so feedback is appreciated.
Note also, instruction #10, recheck tightness after 90 days, omits these two nuts.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Mind your thermo hole. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    tighten your nuts.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    It is saying in the first steps to finger tighten everything until its all together then go back with a wrench and tighten. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    What the actual f*** with those instructions...did Ikea design the new bands?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Duplicate.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    As a guy who puts grills together regularly I can tell you the BGE instructions are far superior to most companies. They are quite good, relatively speaking. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    As a guy who puts grills together regularly I can tell you the BGE instructions are far superior to most companies. They are quite good, relatively speaking. 
    :rofl:
  • pgprescott
    Options
    LLegume said:
    How many have you assembled? 100? 500? How many different brands? 5? 10? 20? 

Hmmm 
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    edited February 2020
    Options
    It's like they got jinxed and couldn't speak.

I wonder what the underlying reason behind the movement toward pictorial instructions.  Is it an accessibility thing?

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    LLegume said:

Hmmm 
    But the instructions should be written so a first time user/buyer who has not put together many other brands can put it together.
    If not, then it’s poor instructions...no matter how bad other brands might be.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lightningque
    Options
    I didn't have any problems putting mine together however I watched the YouTube video several times on the egg assembly and that helped.  I will say I tightened my bolts in a criss cross pattern to insure the dome would stay in place.  so far I am happy but its only been a couple months since I did it.

1 large in challenger cart and 1 mini-max , too many dang accessories  

Baton Rouge LA 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    edited February 2020
    Options
    LLegume said:

Hmmm 
    Oh, I’m sure you win if this was some kind of a contest, I didn’t even put my own egg together.  I was just laughing because having the best **** instructions of all **** instructions doesn’t make them not ****, relatively speaking.

edit: shi tty 

• pgprescott
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    LLegume said:

Hmmm 
    But the instructions should be written so a first time user/buyer who has not put together many other brands can put it together.
    If not, then it’s poor instructions...no matter how bad other brands might be.
    For goodness sake you simply look at the picture and do what it shows. A child can do it. They are orderly and detailed. They also offer a video if you need/want it.

Maybe you would prefer poorly written instructions which are barely coherent, often not correct or representative of the actual parts in the package. Just buy something at Menards. Bingo! straight outta China. 

I’m just saying. You can choose to believe whatever you wish. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Legume said:
    LLegume said:

Hmmm 
    Oh, I’m sure you win if this was some kind of a contest, I didn’t even put my own egg together.  I was just laughing because having the best **** instructions of all **** instructions doesn’t make them not ****, relatively speaking.

edit: shi tty 

I would say that by your definition it would in fact make them “quite good, relatively speaking”. Just as I said. Comprehension is key. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    brentm said:
    It's like they got jinxed and couldn't speak.

I wonder what the underlying reason behind the movement toward pictorial instructions.  Is it an accessibility thing?

International language 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Just as I said. Comprehension is key. 
    I am not wanting to really get into the merits of the instructions I received, rather to install the correct way, the first time.  My comprehension is the issue and reason for my questions.
    The video link by buzd504 and comments are leading me to this workflow.  For those with experience, does it look like a good path?
    - install dome, put in blue spacers, all nuts and both band bolts finger tight.
    - tighten lower band bolt, then upper band bolt.
    - tighten all nuts, criss-cross pattern.
    - remove blue spacers, install springs.
    Great Plains, USA
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I recently did this. That sounds about right. I’m a dumb ass and it took less than an hour. 

But I pooched the thermo hole.  
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Bottom then top as you said, but as you tighten the bottom band up tighten the upper incrementally. Meaning don’t tighten the bottom band 100% then the top 100%. 50/50 then 75/75 then 100/100. Make sense? You will notice the top hinge hardware is always slotted to allow adjustment. I always tighten the top hinge hardware last for this reason. Once the bands  are tightened, the lower hardware is fixed and can be tightened and the lid can still be adjusted then tightened. Only after the hardware is tight do you install the springs. Pro tip is to turn the springs open end toward the front and install the top of the spring first. This allows for easier install. Lastly, just check everything for tightness. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i tightened mine first but had to loosen them when putting on the egg. some are slotted and those need to be tightened last to make adjustments at final assembly. the only thing you can screw up is the spring, it will fall out if you put it upsidedown when opening it, if it does that simply flip it over so it hangs. you tube is not needed, just look at the last pic
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Pictures and a video should be all you need. I just replaced the Band on the XXL and it was no problem, almost common sense 
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice and comments, very helpful in clearing up my confusion.
    @dmchicago: I will watch that thermo hole orientation!  :)
    Great Plains, USA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    that thermo orientation...i aim it towards my teak rocker in the summer, then aim it towards the window in the winter months. way more practical than dead center
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    I just did mine a week or so ago.  Loose fit everything.  Get some washers or springs for the MAIN bolts.  Everyone says to bend the crap out of the bolt, I say space it and crank it.  see photos.   HOWEVER.   loose fit everything before putting it on the egg.  then adjust and tighten everything.  ITs pretty straight forward for sure. 

Columbus, Ohio
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    I just did mine a week or so ago.  Loose fit everything.  Get some washers or springs for the MAIN bolts.  Everyone says to bend the crap out of the bolt, I say space it and crank it.  see photos.   HOWEVER.   loose fit everything before putting it on the egg.  then adjust and tighten everything.  ITs pretty straight forward for sure. 

Where did you get the hinges in the top photo?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JonWesson
    Options
    jdMyers said:

where you get the chrome bands?   what is the spring rate?   why is bottom band much thicker than top?  what is red stuffs behind bottom band?
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • jdMyers
    Options
    sorry. the hinges in the top photo are not mine.  just showing the springs, and or washers to keep the bolts from bending.  Bent bolts, are impossible to undo if you had too.  was an example.  sorry bout that
    Columbus, Ohio
  • JonWesson
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    sorry. the hinges in the top photo are not mine.  just showing the springs, and or washers to keep the bolts from bending.  Bent bolts, are impossible to undo if you had too.  was an example.  sorry bout that
    you presented them as the right solution and never did it.  just saw some pic somewhere then tell others to do it.    and bottom pic is not new bands so not yours too.    you even have an egg we wonder
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    JonWesson said:
    jdMyers said:
        you even have an egg we wonder
    Who is "we"? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jdMyers
    Options
    SO TO BE SPECIFIC, AFTER I BENT MY BOLTS THEN THE DAG ON BOLT "BROKE" I learned to space it or spring it to keep tension so IT DOESN'T BREAK.  So if someone else can learn from my mishaps just maybe they wont have to damage their egg or get frustrated.  Was it the fact the photos were a great example, or is it just me specifically you struggle with.
    Columbus, Ohio