Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Ribs, direct or not direct?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I've been cooking on th egg for about 8 months, but I've not yet tried ribs. I see some reference an indirect method and some a direct method. Looks like to me the direct is easier, but is there any difference in taste.[p]thoughts?

Comments

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Either way works. Indirect is easier IMHO because you don't have to watch the fire and ribs as close.[p]I have not found any consistent difference.
    I usually cook direct but thinking about going back to indirect.[p]Toy Man

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    douglas,
    fishless does them direct, but with as much distance between the lump and ribs, i think by putting the rib up on a raised grid as well.. ...and he uses very little lump. he's avoiding the char you'd get from having a full load of lump up high, and the ribs direct at grate level.[p]remember, the thermo may say 250, but the charcoal only burns at 1100 or so. you put the burning charcoal close enough to the meat, and whether the dome says 250 or not, it'd still get charred.[p]fihless is a bit of a guru when it comes to figuring a better way to skin a cat, but i just go indirect. good load of lump means my fire has a good chance of staying lit, and the barrier means i'm cooking with air temp and smoke only.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,[p]Thanks, I'm going indirect. Have a great day.
  • Toy Man,[p]Thanks! I"m going to try indirect. [p]Have a great day!
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I place the ribs as high from the lump as I can get them. I am using one of Sandbagger's 'stacked' grids.[p]Toy Man