Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron grate rust removal?

Options
Any advice on best method of removing rust and restoring my cast iron cooking grate?

Comments

• rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Very high heat, soak in white vinager, or a wire brush on an angle grinder. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Sandblasted!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Again sandblasting. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I used a wire drill brush many times. Will take you 15-30 minutes but only costs a couple bucks. 
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Lit said:
    I used a wire drill brush many times. Will take you 15-30 minutes but only costs a couple bucks. 
    Just don't wear a nice shirt when you use one of these?  That sucker will sling junk everywhere.  Or at least it does when I use them.  
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:
    Just don't wear a nice shirt when you use one of these?  That sucker will sling junk everywhere.  Or at least it does when I use them.  
    I was gonna add wear a mask. I used to burn my grate off good before I did it so it wasn’t flinging stuff but it was a messy job. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Lit said:
    Use a cup wheel instead 
  • speed51133
    Options
    IF you sand blast, make sure you do not do it in equipment used in production. You do not want all the oils, solvents, paints, etc. to get embedded into your grate. Toxic ****, even if you wash it. Also, use fresh media.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    It's a tedious process but I've often used Naval Jelly to remove rust from old iron.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    easier to replace it?  kick ash bowl?
    Columbus, Ohio
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    You don't ever want to grease or oil in a enclosed sand blaster. So if you go with  sand blasting I would go with an outdside facility. Make sure you cure it quickly because it will start to rust immediately. 
    Just my opinion. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser