Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

36 in Blackstone

Options
Wife just suprised me with one tonight for my birthday. I love my egg and don’t really even know where to start with the blackstone...any tips or tricks? Here is a picture of my birthday ribeye I grilled for the help TIA 
Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I got a Blackstone just after Thanksgiving, and it's been fun.  There's a ton of posts on here and also make sure you subscribe to the Hungry Hussey on youtube.  You'll have far fewer questions after going down that rabbit hole.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tclamberth
    Options
    thetrim said:w
    I got a Blackstone just after Thanksgiving, and it's been fun.  There's a ton of posts on here and also make sure you subscribe to the Hungry Hussey on youtube.  You'll have far fewer questions after going down that rabbit hole.
    awesome. Thanks for the heads up 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Season the $#!+ out of the top until it turns glossy black. There are several videos on the youtube about this process. I recommend contacting @Tspud1 to get a stainless cover. You can find others out there for cheaper, but his is high class. 

• Hibachi
    • Pancakes/Eggs/Bacon/Hash-browns
    • Cheese steaks
    • Smash Burgers

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Blackstone has a recommended seasoning process on their website.

Otherwise this thread is a pretty good source of inspiration  https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182676/ot-blackstone-36-griddle-is-legit/p1

Also, @tarheelmatt is too humble to push his youtube channel, but its got some good content. Especially for the Blackstone. 
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0eUeCsk1enDa1lPfs4mTgA
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • tclamberth
    Options
    What accessories will I need? I assume a couple spatulas and a scraper should do the trick. Maybe a couple bottles for water and oil
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    What accessories will I need? I assume a couple spatulas and a scraper should do the trick. Maybe a couple bottles for water and oil
    yes...↑↑

When cleaning after every cook, I follow what the hibachi chefs do..

After I pull the food, I crank up the heat..

I then steam clean the griddle and scrape any residual remnants..

wipe dry..

apply a think coat of oil, then turn off the burners...

wait 15 minutes, then cover back up... 

After.....
    every....
    cook....
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Maybe your wife can spring for a cover or windscreen or bigger grease cup
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options

Fried rice will change your life!

Made Lobster FR for a beast feast party with friends. Cooked rice, frozen peas and carrots, scramble some eggs, cook lobster on the BS. Season everything as you like and mix it all together.

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • tclamberth
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Maybe your wife can spring for a cover or windscreen or bigger grease cup
    I’ll for sure be looking in to a cover and I’ve already read to get with you. I may end up keeping it in my garage so don’t know if I’ll need the wind screen. How necessary are the larger grease cups?
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    I could not get a decent seasoning on mine until I finally gave up on it, stripped the old seasoning off, sanded to 320, wet sanded to 800 and then reasoned...now it is a dream. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Get the @Tspud1 cover and wind guard, at a minimum. They make a big difference 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    If you live in a city with a restaurant supply store I'd go there for accessories. I found better quality stuff for the same as you'll pay on Amazon. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    Breakfast is always a  good start.  That realestate allows you to cook it all at once 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    make sure you season it well, I used grape seed oil a few times then did a pound of bacon to finish it off. I also have the hard top cover and its fantastic, I never get rust.
  • hogfan412
    Options
    Best thing ever.   From breakfast, to chinese, to steaks, burgers, chicken, and pork chops.   Cooking bacon from time to time keeps the seasoning awesome after the intial seasoning.   I love mine.
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    +1 on @Tspud1 cover
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • tclamberth
    Options
    Any tips on figuring out temperature? 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    A hand held thermal heat gun.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    The buttermilk pancake recipe that they give in the instruction manual is pretty good.

I love their smash burger kit.

Fajitas (including homemade flour tortillas) are a big success here.

+1 Thermal heat gun is your friend.

Options
    I use a point and shoot infrared thermometer. Check Amazon or Harbor Freight. You will find heat zones on your plate, some cooler areas.
  • tclamberth
    Options
    Thermometer purchased. Next up is a bacon/smash burger press 
  • thetrim
    Options
    Just ordered a @Tspud1 cover
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Tspud1
    Options
    Thermometer purchased. Next up is a bacon/smash burger press 
    I got your press
  • tclamberth
    Options
    Got it seasoned. Gonna try some eggs on it tomorrow. Need some good appetizer suggestions for super bowl as I have been tasked with cooking on it 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    @Tspud1 how much is that press? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I wondered the same thing. That press looks awesome. 
  • thetrim
    Options
    I have a cover for my 36" coming from @Tspud1.  I can't wait for it.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Tspud1
    Options

$45