Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the grate

Options
How do you clean your grate. I just use a wire grill brush but have read a few advertisements about the wires coming off and people getting them in their mouth or swallowing them. Never had thought about that before.

Comments

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    I've got a wood one but it doesn't work as well as the iron brush... so truthfully i still use the brush most of the time 
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options

Wire brush. Haven't found anything better. Tried the wood paddle, didn't like it.

If you are concerned about the wire, use a rag or ball of foil and wipe the grate after you use the brush.

I also clean it while its still hot after I pull the food off. Quick wipe before the next cook and its good to go

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Two balls of foil. One in my left hand to hold the grid steady, the second for the scrubbing. Works surprisingly well.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Options
    I have one of those grate scrubbers with a brillo pad (stainless wire mesh ball thing).  They also drop little bits of metal after some use.

Like @matt86m said.  Cleaning it while it's hot is best.... and visually inspect the grid surface before use.

I think in reality, if one of those wires got in your food, and you chew your food.  You'd find it in your mouth before it went down the hatch.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Balled up foil when I actually clean it.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Chef Boy RC
    Options
    I use the wire brush when I'm done and the grate is still hot and then before I cook I run the brush over it real quick again. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something by using the wire brush. I had never had a wire in my food that I knew of and didn't know if had just gotten lucky or not.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use a Billy Bar - quick and easy

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    You guys get rid of your flavor crystals?
    Pentwater, MI
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Count me in the "when did cleaning the grate become a thing? " camp.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Wait, I thought the grate was at the bottom under the lump with the circular holes and the grid was where the food goes. Or are we not doing that any more?
    Mountain View, CA
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    Grill brush with stainless bristles. Don't need to get into it nearly like I used to with the gasser (another plus on the side of the BGE). 

IMO, if you need to really lean into the brush to clean the grate, you're doing something wrong.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • JonWesson
    JonWesson Posts: 161
    Options
    fibreglass brissel brush to complement texture my rutland gasket adds
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Clean the grill? I do start my fire before placing protein down.... really
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Shiff said:
    I use a Billy Bar - quick and easy

Cleaning?  Really? Ok, ok, when I really have to, I use a Billy Bar too 🤷‍♂️

Options
    I use something similar to the Billy bar. I think I found it on Amazon. I basically knock off the stuff that's giving bad smoke and get it closer to the fire. 
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    A good dog and cat combo can get it clean all over.  Kind of inconvenient having to flip it over for them tho
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options
    I have a stick that has a groove worked into that I use after the grill is heated up to get rid of the left over chunks.    A high temp burn occasionally takes care of the rest.   I sear steaks often enough that not much gets a chance to build up anyways.
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    I use a palette knife that’s a bit like this - gets into the gaps, can use it on a hot grill. But I’ve grown to not worry too much about the cleanliness of the grill - occasionally gets a blitz when I cook a hot pizza but generally so long as they larger chunks are knocked off just enjoy the historic flavour 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    I use my CI grate, flat-side up, almost exclusively.  My wire-bristle brush has a putty-knife-like metal edge, and that's all I use now.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
     I have a spatula with notches on one side to scrape with. If I forget I just hold the grill grate high and drop it on the concrete a few times. The fire sterilizes any thing that is left. I treat my cast iron grill grate like Botch does.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Ike said:
    A good dog and cat combo can get it clean all over.  Kind of inconvenient having to flip it over for them tho
    Be careful with that method. My neighbor was in the habit of allowing his young, rescue boxer to lick the BGE Large grate after a cook Figured lighting the egg and putting the grate back on the next cook would kill any germs. Usually his dog would stop on the way out the screen door and give the grate a going over before continuing out to the backyard . They have a pool which the dog has never shown interest in.

Last Friday, my neighbor took the grate off the egg and leaned it against the egg table leg. Dog started licking the grate as usual, really getting into it since the protein that evening was steak. His little license tag, attached to his dog collar, got caught in the grate and did not come out when he decided to go outside. Felt the weight of the grate on his neck and felt the grate on his chest and front legs which he could not see.  He got scared, ran thru the screen door. Neighbor was just coming out of the house and saw the dog running with the grate hanging around it's neck. Dog jumped into the pool and with the weight of the grate and his inexperience with pools, went straight to the bottom. Neighbor jumped in the pool and tried to pick the dog up and get it out of the pool.

Did I mention it was a very large boxer. They both went down to the bottom again and by this time, my neighbor's wife was running out to see what the hell was going on, having heard her dog and then her husband jump into the pool. This wasn't a heated pool and the temperature here has been in the low 60's to 40's the last couple of weeks, with rain most days. He was finally able to get the dog's front paws on the pool steps while his wife was able to extricate the license from the grate and pull the dog out of the pool with her husband pushing the dog from behind. 

A trip to the Vet, antibiotics, a new screen door, and a new iPhone to replace the one that was in his pocket when he went into the pool.  

Talked to the neighbor today. He said the dog walked right by the grate, showing absolutely no interest in it. Thinking he will need to find a new cleaning method for his grate.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I have heard it all now.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    I won a smokeware ash tool thing at BB2018. It is a great tool for cleaning the grate, lifting a hot grate and ash tool. I would buy another if anything happened to mine, but its stainless and made very well, so I am good.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"