Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad Byron's plus brown sugar?

Options
The only knock on Bad Byron's that I have heard is that it's too salty.  Indeed, salt is the first ingredient on the label.  I think I might have heard that some BB fans add brown sugar to take the edge off.  Is that right? 3 Boston butts want to know.  Superbowl buffet of pulled pork planned.  If so, how much do you recommend?  Thanks in advance ....

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I do a 50/50 mix of BBBR and Dizzy Dust a lot of times. Good on butts and excellent on slow cooked chicken.  Unless your doing low and slow be careful with the sugar because it will scorch around 325°.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No matter how much sugar you add, the salt in BB's is still there. If you want less salt, find another rub. Or mix your own.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I add BS to get a better crust. Or, depending on the subject, I add BS to make others crusty.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Versatile, that BS.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Everybody loves Bad Byron’s but I hated it. I trashed the bottle from Costco that I bought. I tried cutting it 50/50 with brown sugar and it still tasted like straight cayenne pepper.  I love spicy food but there’s no way that bottle was right. It was inedible. Part of me wants to try another bottle but it’s not worth it. Too many good rubs out there. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Everybody loves Bad Byron’s but I hated it. I trashed the bottle from Costco that I bought. I tried cutting it 50/50 with brown sugar and it still tasted like straight cayenne pepper.  I love spicy food but there’s no way that bottle was right. It was inedible. Part of me wants to try another bottle but it’s not worth it. Too many good rubs out there. 
    You didn't take it back?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    You definitely don’t want a salt based rub on pork.  Use a sugar based rub.  I buy this in 5# bags to fill my shaker bottles. It’s good stuff on pork!

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I do Byron’s mixed with oak ridge dominator sweet rib rub and it’s really good. 
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Oakridge Rubs for the win.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Tailgate215
    Options
    OP here...decided to go with Dizzy Pig coarse..will post results.
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    I do a 50/50 mix of BBBR and Dizzy Dust a lot of times. Good on butts and excellent on slow cooked chicken.  Unless your doing low and slow be careful with the sugar because it will scorch around 325°.  
    If you're going to use sugar use turbinado . It doesn't burn. 

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    From everything that I have read turbinado will start to scorch at 350. It will take the highest heat out of the sugar family. A lot of folks on here are running 350 plus for turbo butts that is why I always mention the issue with high heat and sugar.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    You might try the amazing ribs Memphis Dust recipe. I omit the rosemary, because I don't this is good on pork- you may like the rosemary.
    The Memphis Dust recipe contains no salt. It's easy to make.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I like BB on shoulders and butts, if you need to sweeten it up put some peach preserves on the end as a glaze.
    Jacksonville FL
  • lightningque
    Options
    You definitely don’t want a salt based rub on pork.  Use a sugar based rub.  I buy this in 5# bags to fill my shaker bottles. It’s good stuff on pork!

have you tried his AP rub?  I have some also and I find it to quite salty.  I have been using Weber "steak N Chop" as an AP rub and its less salty.  Just curious
    1 large in challenger cart and 1 mini-max , too many dang accessories  

Baton Rouge LA 

• Grilltastic
    Options
    I mix 1/2 BB with 1/2 sweet rub o mine on butts and ribs. Excellent results
    Boynton Beach, Fl
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    If in the area be sure and go by to see his trophy room. We have went to Seaside FLforthe past20+ years and abut 10 years ago found his place was only about 10 miles away. Super nice people. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• littlerascal56
    Options

have you tried his AP rub?  I have some also and I find it to quite salty.  I have been using Weber "steak N Chop" as an AP rub and its less salty.  Just curious
    No never tried his AP rub.  Have always made my own, as I don’t use much salt.