Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EZ-QUE Rotisserie for BGE?

Options
swamprb
swamprb Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just received an EZ-QUE rotisserie for for a 22.5" Weber kettle and the brochure that came with it shows a BGE along with some other grills. I checked the Website and no mention of the BGE, but I guess anything is possible. I could imagine it on an XL and supposedly they are coming out with one for an 18.5" kettle so one for a Large is in the realm of possibility. I just don't think it's something I would use on mine. Is anyone using a rotisserie on their Egg?

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    swamprb,
    If you check the archives you will find a few examples of rotisseries for the Egg but it seems no one got Eggcited about it and each one kind of fades away. The Egg does not need a rotisserie to produce good food, therefore a rotisserie is probably wasted effort.[p]However, Spring Hen likes rotisseried food from time to time and that's why we have a gasser. (Well, it also does a good job of storing my BGE tools)[p]Spring "Rotating In Place" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• swamprb,[p]Yes[p]Dave

• Sandbagger
    Options
    rotisseriering.jpg
    <p />swamprb, [p]Over the Christmas break, I built a rotisserie set-up for my medium egg. I used the 2" fire ring BGE makes for the large and raised the dome to sit on the ring. The only modification I made to the egg was drill one hole in the lower band.
    128_2825.jpg
    I built it because I enjoy rotisserie chicken and can't get the hang of spatchcock or beer can birds. I can get crispy skin with the rotisserie. So far, I like the set-up. The picture is my first attempt. An added plus is I get 2 more inches of vertical cooking space when cooking on a grid. Over the weekend, I cooked wings on a raised grid with good results. [p]Anybody know where to get a filler piece for the small egg? [p]Tom

• Grillicious
    Options
    Spring Chicken, Sandbagger rigged one up that worked well for him. It looked interesting enough, and the results looked good.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    that looks pretty cool. ..how about a pic from the back side to see what the hinge setup looks like now. ..[p]as well as one with the lid up so we can see what the whole set up looks like. ..[p]

• Grillicious
    Options
    Sandbagger, Looks like you got your new table top installed over the holidays. Am I remembering right that it's corian? How about posting another pic panned back a bit.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    bet you could make the filler piece with a rolled piece of sheet metal and some refractory cement to line it with.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    table.jpg
    <p />Grillicious, you are correct, corian top and all cedar. The two side extensions fold down when not in use. A router and super/gorilla glue is what I used to shape the corian. I added two drawers and the middle cabinet to store more junk, just what I need more junk space. LOL T

• Sandbagger
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, ah your wish is this humble servant's command.....or something like that.
    <div style="width: 360px; text-align: center;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://wmg.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://wmg.photobucket.com/albums/v233/tvogds/medium rotisserie/1167927903.pbw&quot; height="360" width="360"></embed>getyourown.gif[/quote]

• swamprb
    swamprb Posts: 97
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    I knew there had to be someone tinkering with the Egg! I looked at the archives but could not get any posts to load at work or at home so I had to ask. I do a lot of spatchcock chix and crispy or rubbery skin is not an issue with me as I don't eat it, OK just the wings! Your set up is interesting, how is the dome attached? Is the hinge modified? And is this a permanent set up for the Medium?
    Brian

• Sandbagger
    Options
    fishlessman, What do you do about the thickness of the egg. The dome needs something to sit/close on. I've found rolling a piece of square tubing the hard way is cost prohibitive. Maybe I'm missing something. T

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    ive seen guys take refractory cement and trowel it inside a pipe makiking a liner, they had attached bent pieces of wire to the inside of the pipe to help support it and then just trowelled it in place and when dry you could grind the top and bottom edges. you could also take two shells, inner and outer and fill them with the refractory to make the cylindrical spacer. the second option might have more potential to crack with expansion

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]A couple questions: Is the hinge setup as secure as the original? Could the higher hinge create a top-heavy situation that might be a safety issue?[p]Looking at this more extensive set of photos, it seems to me that someone could easily come up with a complete kit for the setup. It would include a customized filler ring (where you have the 2 inch fire ring) that would have a more precise fit than your makeshift setup, and a set of hinge extensions. Maybe a rotisserie unit would be included. Is anything else necessary, like maybe a pre-drilled band (unless the inventor came up with a better arrangement.) [p]I wonder if there'd be a market for it?
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    Haggis, I used 3/16" thick material for the hinge extensions: did not like the feel of 1/8" thick stock. The dome opens and closes just like a normal set-up, very stable.[p]The only issue I can see is if you go too high, the dome's center-of-gravity over the base could create a top-heavy design: open the dome and the egg tips backwards. To date, I have no indication of that problem. [p]With this set-up, the 2" ring piece sits on the base, is attached to nothing and acts only as spacer for the rod. This way, I did not have to notch around either metal band to run the rotisserie rod. Ironically, when I need to cook conventionally, I use paper towel to fill the two notched holes in the 2" ring: simple and quick. [p]I needed two holes in the lower band to hold the rotisserie motor. One hole was already in the band. The other hole, I had to drill. That hole is the only modification I made to the egg.[p]I need to note BGE's 2 inch ring is a tad short with its diameter to sit fully on the lower rim. It covers about 50% of the lower rim. The ring fits great with the dome. This is no big deal to me. [p]
    Tom