Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Homemade Chinese Food Recipes?

Options
Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited December 2019 in EggHead Forum
Since we've had kids, we realized our Christmas Eve was overfilled, between one of our family's, opening presents with kids, dinner and then Santa Clause.  So, a few years back, we realized that all Chinese restaurants were open on Christmas Eve.  So, after watching A Christmas Story, we've made "Fa-ra-ra-ra-ra" a Christmas tradition.  The problem is, we don't have any really good Chinese restaurants near us.  So, this year, we are considering making our own at home.  We have an egg roll recipe down pat....they are delicious.  But, we'd like to make a really good homemade General Tso's chicken, Mongolian Beef, Orange Chicken, and maybe some asian sticky wings.  Anyone had luck with a really good site, or even individual recipes?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I have the kindle version of this, it has some great recipes in it!

https://smile.amazon.com/Stir-Frying-Skys-Edge-Ultimate-Authentic/dp/1416580573/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1577032842&sr=1-1

Also, I make this Mongolian Beef just about every week:

https://cafedelites.com/wprm_print/40566

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Lvnthedrm
    Options
    All your recipes you are looking for can be found here
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Thanks.  I'm checking out both right now.  My wife just ran across Woks of Life.  Looking for authentic and delicious.  Those are showing promise. So is the Mongolian Beef recipe above.  
    Athens, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Best orange chicken I’ve had 
    https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/orange-chicken-with-scallions

My go to for Mongolian Beef
    http://chowdivine.com/takeout-at-home-healthier-mongolian-beef/

Don’t make it very often because it’s fried but this is a great General Tso recipe 
    https://thewoksoflife.com/takeout-places-general-tsos-chicken/

for the sticky wings just egg your wings as you normally would.  I usually hit with an Asian rub that I have and make a sauce of 1/2 cup Sriracha,1/4 cup of honey and hit of soy.  Get wings to temp, sauce then back on egg for the sauce to set.   Remove then sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onion sliced thin.    

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I have several woks (5, I think!) and accessories, an egg, a MacGyver'd wok stove, but somehow, I rarely cook Chinese! Been a very long time. The food shown in the links in this thread looks and sounds very appetizing. Healthy too (if I can figure out how to reduce the sodium). Gonna try. Thanks for posting.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    For the wings, do a search on "Pok Pok wings." They are a Vietnamese recipe served at the Pok Pok restaurants.  Great finger food. I tried making them 2 times. Good, but not as good as from the restaurants.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Lately I've been clicking on a lot of EweTubes from "Marion's Kitchen".  Very high production values/photography, she knows what she's talking about, and easy to listen to (I could do without the hipster glasses).  Kind've an Asian "Chef John".  

https://youtu.be/sMvK0hegI8c

Before getting my Egg, I bet over half my meals were cooked in a wok; I love  wok cooking, for a couple more reasons than the flavors/health benefits.  First, I usually eat alone, and I cook each meal separately (no leftovers), and don't get tired of leftovers because, just by changing the veggies, or the condiments/sauces, you can get four very different meals out of a pkg of two large cheekun breasts.  Secondly, once you've made a few dishes you don't need recipes, you get a feel for what works and just wing it.  This is handy if, say, you go to the supermarket to get some whitefish, it looks a bit sickly, so you grab the fresh-looking cheekun instead; same with veggie substitutions.  I do know with kids asking what's for supper, its usually better to say "Orange Chicken" rather than "Something new, try it you'll like it".   ;)

We expect pics of what you come up with!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options

Chinese Pepper Steak

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  Sorry I disappeared earlier.  We had an early Christmas with part of the family this afternoon.  I'll be checking all these out in the morning and getting our menu together.  Thanks again!
    Athens, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you like thumbing through cookbooks, this is still one of my favorites:

Many simple, tasty recipes in it that are relatively easy to make. We’ve really enjoyed it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    this is a thai version of a shrimp pineapple curry served on white rice, use thai basil over regular if you can find it. this dish fits an american chinese themed dinner, nobody will know

can of cocanut milk,1 tbls sugar, 2 tbls red curry paste, some lime juice, about a quarter cup fresh cilantro (basil would have been better) and i put a tabls of fish sauce in (probably could have ommited this as the shrimp tails brought up the seafood taste). pineapple and shrimp. cook the milk down a little, add everything but shrimp, bring to a soft boil until pineapple is good, add shrimp and take off the heat. next time more curry and a little more sugar. if it was egged i would have posted the recipe, but this could be done in the egg if you wanted to.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    This is what I use and we really enjoy it, its fast and hot so be ready to go with all your stuff

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1196923/mongolian-beef/p1

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe