Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Lights

Options
Time to replace the Weber lights I have on the eggs.  Pricing has almost doubled since I bought back in 2012.  What are y’all using now that it is getting dark earlier?   I want something I can attach to the egg and will handle the weather.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 191
    Options
    I second the headlamp. It’s everywhere I need to look without thinking 
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @pgprescott - weatherproof?

analyze adapt overcome

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I doubt it. The lights come right out of the holder. If you don’t cover the egg, you just take the light off when done. It’s a slight friction fit with magnets too. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I doubt it. The lights come right out of the holder. If you don’t cover the egg, you just take the light off when done. It’s a slight friction fit with magnets too. 
    They do work well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    +1 for the headlamp. For the price, you'll be able to use it for other things too. I've tried a few grill light type of things, and they all crapped out relatively quickly.

Not what you asked for, but I strung up some LED patio lights from Costco a few years ago and that solved my eggdom lighting issue. Controlled by an outdoor smart plug, so easy to switch on and off when I'm cooking. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Headlamps here. Buy a pack or two of them every year at Costco to replace the ones my kids steal from me. 
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Also use the headlamp.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    @Mattman3969 I have been using the Weber lites since I first saw them here.  I clean the lenses every year and they still work well.  I did have to do some extra wrenching and metal bracketing to get the lite to work on the new LBGE dome due to the wide handle but no issues with the lites themselves.   
    You do have to change the batteries... =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @lousubcap - mine have gotten to the point that I was having to smack em to get them to come on for a brief period.  New batteries and good smackin aren’t working now.  All the high heat wok cooks may have taken a toll on them.  

I had to do the same thing when I replaced the bands on the large.  I actually drilled a couple of holes and mounted with some extra cinch bolts from the old band.  

analyze adapt overcome

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    I am looking for a new light situation too.  I have a headlamp but I don’t like my head being squeezed.  Maybe a hat?  I read a long time ago some folks on here got together and @Dutch bought the group egghead hats with a built in light.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • pgprescott
    Options
    https://biggreenegg.com/product/new-flexible-grill-light/

These are the bomb. I like that I can use them in many situations including non grilling things. They really put out a lot of light and the flexible stem is very adjustable. Nice product IMO. Just got two of these last month.  
  • booksw
    Options
    Thanks @pgprescott I will check it out
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I agree with @pgprescott that the BGE flexible grill light works well.  It is not waterproof, however.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    The spotlight mounted on my roof eave is aimed at my Egg.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I’ve used a head lamp bolted to a hard hat now for 18 years! Very comfortable and easy on and off. Besides that when it’s raining or snowing the hard hat keeps that moisture off my glasses.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • booksw
    Options
    I was at the dentist yesterday and was interested in the head lamp the hygenist used attached to her glasses- she said it was a $3000 device.  I want something light that wont hang on my neck or band around my head.  I would love some kind of a visor set up
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • RRP
    Options
    booksw said:
    I was at the dentist yesterday and was interested in the head lamp the hygenist used attached to her glasses- she said it was a $3000 device.  I want something light that wont hang on my neck or band around my head.  I would love some kind of a visor set up
    Visor might not be hardly enough to hold a decent head lamp due to weight. That’s why I love the hard hat I use for mine.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I’ve got this. I should bring it inside when I’m done cooking, but I don’t. Ever. It’s working fine going on 2 years in the weather. YMMV, but this thing has held up better than I deserved. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I’ve got this. I should bring it inside when I’m done cooking, but I don’t. Ever. It’s working fine going on 2 years in the weather. YMMV, but this thing has held up better than I deserved. 
    You can buy replacements lights should they fail for next to nothing. They fit right into the bracket/clip that attaches to you handle. In fact sometimes they are free gifts at Harbor Freight. 
  • SmokeyLopey
    Options
    https://biggreenegg.com/product/new-flexible-grill-light/

These are the bomb. I like that I can use them in many situations including non grilling things. They really put out a lot of light and the flexible stem is very adjustable. Nice product IMO. Just got two of these last month.  
    They gave these away at EGGtoberfest this year and they work very well.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    You can buy replacements lights should they fail for next to nothing. They fit right into the bracket/clip that attaches to you handle. In fact sometimes they are free gifts at Harbor Freight. 
    Yup. I’m on my 2nd light and keep a fresh one inside, away from the element. Good to be prepared.  But they’re pretty sturdy. The batteries fail before the unit dies. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    I'm a proponent of the headlamp.  Runs on 1 AA battery and is weather proof.  If I had an outdoor kitchen setup I might be more inclined to have a more permanent light source.  Until that day comes, the headlamp works great and I have light where I need it and both hands free.
    NC - LBGE
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    RRP said:
    I’ve used a head lamp bolted to a hard hat now for 18 years! Very comfortable and easy on and off. Besides that when it’s raining or snowing the hard hat keeps that moisture off my glasses.
    Hi Ron do you have a pic of your set up..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Hi Ron do you have a pic of your set up..
    PhotoBucket has locked up on me again. Let me see what I can do today someplace else.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    #TeamHeadlamp
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited January 2020
    Options
    booksw said:

I think a headlamp is better, but I used something like this for a while and it works OK (and it's cheap).

https://www.amazon.com/Thorfire-Headlamp-Rotatable-Hunting-Camping/dp/B018VP3JJE/

NOLA
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    those lights are basically a holder, the lights are nothing noteworthy you get them free at harbor freight with every purchase.  

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    I use one of these (in black) https://www.olightstore.com/s1r-ii-double.html on the brim of one of my hats whenever I need light and both hands free. Works great and can be used for other things. Variable brightness levels, plus recharging so no need to get new batteries for it. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).