Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time for change - or is it?

Options
Long time lurker here, but time to ask for advice.

I bought two Large models about 10 years ago, and they have given me excellent service. EGGcellent even :)

Recently I bought a used XL. Got an outstanding deal. Came with the nest and tables, platesetter, pizza stone and a BBQ guru DX2. The firebox was cracked into 3 pieces, but some refractory cement, a new gasket and an ash basket later, we are good to go. It's only 5 years old.

For my L models, I have a Pizza Porta, Joetisserie and a CGS PSwoo with expander.

However, the L models are long in the tooth. The bands and hinges have rust, the internals ceramics are cracked. One has a chip in the outer enamel about the size of a quarter just below the band, and a little bit of the ceramic of the body has flaked off on the inside, about the size of a dollar coin. I wasn't aware when i bought them that you had to register the Eggs to get the lifetime warranty. So none of them have a valid warranty.

I may have a nice bonus coming my way shortly, so I'm thinking about a rework. Two options:

Option 1. Invest in the Ls, and get new bands/hinges/handles. Replace one of the fireboxes which is in 4 pieces (but does work). Live with the fire rings being cracked. Or the bill to replace them. Get 2 x Cuna carts and get rid of the wooden cart /table that is as tired-looking as the Eggs themselves. I would also get a Cuna for the XL and sell the nest/tables.

Option 2. Sell the basic L models and the wooden cart. Retain the Joetisserie, PSwoo, Pizza-Porta. Buy a new Large, and a new MiniMax. Get a L Cuna and an XL Cuna, and the stand for the MM. Would also get a CGS AR for the XL.

By the time I'd made say $800-$1000 selling the two Larges and the XL nest, the cost would be similar. Advantage of the second option would be that two of the three would be under warranty, and I'd have flexibility in the right size Egg(s) to use. But perhaps I'm being overly attracted to "shinyness". Within a few cooks the new ones would be dirty inside. Though I'd have new enamel and bands. The XL's enamel is much better than my Ls. 

Grateful for any advice/experience.
LBGE x 2, XL BGE, Joetisserie, Pizza-Porta. 
Weber Genesis as a reminder of those which fell on stony ground.
If it can't be cooked on a BGE, then I'm not interested in eating it.
Ketchup is the work of Satan.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Any replacement parts you buy will come with a warranty.  Personally, I like the idea of refurbishing the old eggs.  They have history. 
    NOLA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Can you go back to the dealer and see if you can up with a receipt for warranty work on the large?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Rocky_Top
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Can you go back to the dealer and see if you can up with a receipt for warranty work on the large?
    I just called and they found the record of my purchase. Shout out to Casual Image of Marietta, GA!

Perhaps that's the route forward then...

Certainly agree with buzd504 on the history. Turns out it was 2011 I bought them, thought they were a little older.
    LBGE x 2, XL BGE, Joetisserie, Pizza-Porta. 
    Weber Genesis as a reminder of those which fell on stony ground.
    If it can't be cooked on a BGE, then I'm not interested in eating it.
    Ketchup is the work of Satan.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    It has always been my understanding that failure to register does not invalidate the warranty, for any product. Those more versed in the law may be able to correct that statement. Your bands would be out of coverage now (5 years) but I think you are good on the ceramics if you have proof of purchase.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i would go look at the new bands in the store, theres less access to the grid with the new bands on the large. definitely get the replacement box and ring
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    All of my eggs that have received warranty service have been done without purchase validation. I don’t have the receipts and the dealer is long gone. The new dealer didn’t care and took care of me. It sounds like you are having the same experience. This gives you more funds for the carts and accessories.