Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Tritip

Matt86m
Matt86m Posts: 471
edited October 2019 in EggHead Forum
Here is my cook from yesterday. SV tritip for 15 hours based off @HogHeaven post from August - https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1220815/perfectly-prepared-tri-tip-roast/p2

Big thank you to @Photo Egg for the SV machine. He posted it for free and I was lucky enough to see it first. 

Thank you to @Lit for the link after I couldn't find it on a search.

Went off memory of the cook but changed the temp to 127* since I usually pull my TT at 120-125 then sear. I did re-read HH's thread and see the bacteria comment (min temp to cook 130*) 

Mine wasn't tenderloin tender. Here are a few thoughts on that. Wife said it was the best so far. I do a TT 2-3 times a month. Usually reverse sear on my XL. 

Defrosted & SV'd the TT in the vac bag I froze it in. Next time Ill defrost it, put it in a new bag with some herb butter and fresh rosemary.

TT went from the fridge and into the pot with room temp water and turned the SV machine on. I usually let TT sit out for an hour before going on the BGE - next time Ill let it sit out too before SV. I wonder if this will help tenderness?

Ran 127* for 15 hours, next time I'll go 132* - see if there is a difference in tenderness.

Used Duck Fat spray and some simple seasonings: Lawrys, garlic salt and fresh cracked pepper.

After the 15 I seared it on the MiniMax at 500*+ for a couple minutes each side, flipping it a couple times.

Thanks for looking! I accept all criticisms, advice and suggestions!

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Nice!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks awesome!
    Cooking at 131-133 might help it break down a little more?
    Try rubbing with a little Better Than Bouillon paste. Add your herbs as well. Skip the butter. IMO.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks awesome!
    Cooking at 131-133 might help it break down a little more?
    Try rubbing with a little Better Than Bouillon paste. Add your herbs as well. Skip the butter. IMO.
    Will do. Thank you!
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    That looks great but I’m not a fan of a full sous Vide on tri tips. I like to put mine in the sous Vide for an hour and a half or so at 110 then throw it on the grill indirect for 10 minutes or so till it hits 120-125 then sear it off. Gives it time to get a little more smoky flavor and cuts the cook time way down so it doesn’t dry out. I have to admit I have never done a 15 hour sous Vide on a tri tip though so I should give it a shot. 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Personally I think the sweet spot is 10 to 12 hours in the SV at 131°
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    If I’m freezing vac sealed beef I usually season it when sealing the bag, that way I can dump it right in the hot tub from the freezer
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario