Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

Options
Good Eats
Good Eats Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to do a pulled pork this weekend ala Elder Ward... I am cooking it for 6 people who I imagine will want two helpings... what size butt should I pick up? Been almost two years since I have done pulled pork... any tips, tricks, or reminders you would recommend? Should I stick with Elders Rub or venture off the plantation and try something different?[p]Any help appreciated.

Comments

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    Good Eats,
    1/2 # cooked meat per person. You will loose 30-40% weight during cook. Also don't forget the bone weighs some and you'll want leftovers for football Monday sammies.[p]Cheers and HNY, Glenn

• MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    Good Eats,
    I have the best results with 5 or 6 pound butts. I do not like to do the 8 pounders. Whenever I cook pulled pork for my family, I always cook at least two butts regardless if we dont have company over. So, I would advise doing two 6 pounders, and freeze the leftovers (if any).[p]Whenever I do pulled pork and I'm having company, I always clean out the egg and stack the lump in carefully to insure good air flow for the fire. Also, set your alarm clock once in the night and get up to insure the fire is stable. I just take extra precautions when the pressure is on when friends are coming over. [p]I'm going to do pulled pork for New Years day dinner. A variation I found on this board, "Lechon Asado" (cuban style) is what I will attempt.[p]Good luck and enjoy.[p]

• HolySmokes
    Options
    MakoBBQ,
    Where'd you find the cuban style recipe? Well, don't matter, just re-post it. It sounds interesting!
    HS

• MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    HolySmokes,
    Here it is. It sounds really good.[p]

[ul][li]Lechon Asado (Cuban Style)[/ul]
  • Good Eats,[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork.htm[p]
    We followed this to a tee for Thanksgiving and Christmas... was the best pulled pork we'd ever had and my family RAVED on it.[p]Didn't have enough leftovers at TG (did an 8 lb'er) so at Christmas I had our butcher tie two 5 lb'ers together. Used Dizzy Dust both times. Totally AWESOME!

• SouthOfI10
    Options
    Good Eats,
    Why on earth would you cook just one butt? Two is no harder than one, and it eliminates all the fuss over whether cousin Eddie will eat more than his share or Patty and Selma won't get enough and what size butt to buy to feed all the heathens. Just go get youself two 6-8lbers like these.
    DSC00647.jpg[p]They'll look like this at the end....
    DSC00659.jpg[p]Just allow yourself plenty of time, rub 'em down with your favorite spices (mine is Dizzy Pig), and let the Egg work her magic.[p]Let us know how they turn out.[p]
    Scott

• locolongball
    Options
    Good Eats,[p]Make sure and use plenty of fuel. Also, if you don't have a temp alarm, I would set your alarm about 1/2 way in the night to get up and check. I love my egg, and 99 out of 100 she fires all night long. however, did have a case when the fire went out because of too much ash. Very rare, but happens.
    530abe92.jpg

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    sammies005-1.jpg
    <p />Good Eats,[p]Don't forget the coleslaw and French's onions.........[p]Rick
  • Now THAT'S a pretty picture Rick.