Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wagyu at Walmart

Options
My Walmart started offering wagyu burgers this last year
And I’ll occasionally pick up a pack. 5 bucks. Not a horrible mid week dinner. 

But I ran across this today...

Wetumpka, Alabama
LBGE and MM

Comments

• gonepostal
    Options

Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • gonepostal
    Options
    They had all cuts and the NY strips were all discounted heavily. And since we’ve got a ton of food going this weekend I decided to throw down 10 bucks and slice this one up as an appetizer later. Will be surprised to see this becoming an everyday item on the shelves @$30/lb
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Hope to see a pic of the appetizer you come up with.  Good deal.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I’d hit it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Dang. Why not at that price. Interesting to hear your thoughts on it
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Ive had the burgers. They are surprisingly good. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I purchased and grilled a couple of these burgers today with hickory wood. They actually are pretty good.

Thanks for the recommendation @gonepostal
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Sorry not trusting that
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Please elaborate @Hans61 if you don't mind.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Hans61
    Options
    To me it seems like buying Wagyu at a Walmart would be akin to ordering sushi at a gas station - sorry not trying to troll 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • gonepostal
    Options
    So I finally got around to cooking the steak late this afternoon 
    Before seasoning 
    And after a quick cook at roughly 450

The verdict:
    We both thought it was pretty good. Not fantastic but definitely worth $10. I would be pi$$ed had I paid nearly $30.  But if I walk by the meat aisle in the future and see the yellow discount stickers I won’t hesitate to pick up a pack or two. 

And this is coming from a guy that buys very little meat at Walmart. I gave up their beef  many years ago with most cuts after a few bad experiences. 

I’m lucky to have a couple of wagyu farmers within reach and even closer a couple of butchers that sell a ton of fun stuff.
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Hans61
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Withdrawn. 

@gonepostal you did that steak justice sir!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    Next you’ll tell me you can buy men’s Obsession at Walmart.
  • tenpenny_05
    Options
    I buy the thick cut prime steaks at Walmart that come in the black packaging and the gold labels. Usually in the 1.25-1.5 pound range for less than $15. They are great for reverse searing. The fat is pretty hard but renders great if you cook it right.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain