Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL Egg - air leak?

Options
Hey everyone - noob here. Just fired my brand new XL egg and it looks like there is a air leak at the gasket towards the back. Is this normal? Do I need to call the dealer? Is there an easy fix for this, if it is an issue? 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Now, regarding your questions:  (I have a LBGE but not XL but the following is applicable.)
    That's not a "looks like an air leak", that is an air leak and no it is not normal. 
    If the dealer assembled your BGE then I would tell them to come fix it as the base and dome are mis-aligned.  There is a fix as you need to loosen the band assembly and adjust using the blue spacers to get the dome and base on the same plane.  And while there, it looks like your band bolts could use additional tightening.  You should tighten them up until the bolts bend (can't really tell from the pic).  The bolts will fail before the ceramic (or so I have been told by my dealer).
    Is it an issue-depends on whether you can control the BGE in the temperature ranges you want and how long it take to shutdown after a cook. 
    All above-FWIW. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    It’s easy to fix yourself but if your dealer will come out then let them. My worry is they got it wrong once so maybe they don’t know what they’re doing. What’s some YouTube videos and you should be able to do it right. Should take ten minutes. 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    your top band looks like it is not evenly positioned around the dome, dipping down at the nut/bolt which pushed dome up.  as mentioned, use the spacer and realign. 

Just make sure you are not dragging the dome over the bottom gasket when opening/closing. It will peel the bottom gasket.  If dragging, move bands up for more clearance. 

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Bottom band is too low. I line the bottom band just below the lower gasket. This chokes up on the dome and makes it so the bands are not forcing separation between the two halves. My XL is my hardest to align for some reason. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    If you do it yourself make sure you get the bolt bands tight. The instructions say the bolts will break before the ceramics
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    That band is misaligned big time.

You should see about a 1/8-1/4" of green between the felt and band all the way around.  Open the dome, carefully take the springs off while making sure it doesnt slam close, carefully close the dome, then loosen the bands just enough to slide them into a better position.  Retighten until the bolts bend, then open and put the springs back on.

Do the dollar bill / pull test and if you still have a opening anywhere.  Sometimes the springs lift the dome and you have to put some weight on the corner.  Loosen the top band again then have someone push down on that corner as you tighten it up.