Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Canada Lump

Options
They haven’t had basque this year in my area but they have the one pictured. It is really good. No dust, burns clean and heats up fast!  Much like RW 😳. $12.99 cdn per bag

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I would say STOCK UP...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I agree, had a few bad bags with small pieces but overall been a great product.  I have 14 bags in storage.   Costco usually stops selling it around this time of year ...  the end of "BBQ Season" I guess.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    XYLO is from Quebec, probably same family as Maple Leaf and Basques.  Some Costco's started selling it early in the spring/summer.  My local Costco had old Basques stock (13.99) since spring but switched to XYLO (12.99) couple of weeks ago.

I haven't bought any lump for probably three years since stocking up on Costco's Basques at 9.99 around this time of year, in addition to the stockpile  I already hoarded.  It may happen again this year  :)
    canuckland
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I returned a bunch of the old green and white bags as this years supply every bag I opened had non carbonized wood and rocks in it 

will have to give this a try 
  • OshawaDave
    Options
    Thanks for the review and info...….I'll give it a try. I've been using Basques lately and have been satisfied.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• Canugghead
    Options
    Got this photo from Xylo's FB page, interesting and intriguing. @stlcharcoal care to shed some light on this for the uninitiated?

canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Niece and nephew are going to college in Montreal now. I need to figure out a way to smuggle some Basques to TX. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Got this photo from Xylo's FB page, interesting and intriguing. @stlcharcoal care to shed some light on this for the uninitiated?

Retort probably.  Rather than burning the wood in a kiln, they put it in cylinders and "bake it" it per se.  All the stuff you see on the internet saying charcoal is made by "burning wood in the absence of oxygen" is kind of BS because you need oxygen for fire.  The retort process is about as close as you get to that statement.....but it's not really burning, it's charring.  I don't know if this is 100% correct, but I'd call it torrefaction vs. pyrolysis.

Retort is almost like a pressure cooker.  Then the tars, liquors, VOCs, etc are supposed to "melt" out.  Sometimes they capture those, then use them as fuel for the next unit.  In my experience of testing and using charcoal from retort, it never really gets to a proper carbonization.......so, lots of smoke, ash, and blue flames.

I'm guessing that thing in the middle is the boiler, then the gantry above puts a closed cylinder packed with wood into the cylinders you see pictured.  I don't know much about it, other than a traditional "Missouri Kiln" works a hell of a lot better if true carbonization is what you're after.  Much hotter temps than a retort setup.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @stlcharcoal Thanks for taking the time to educate us, much appreciated.  They claim it's more environment friendly than traditional kiln, don't know if it's true or just marketing gimmick.
    canuckland
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:
    Niece and nephew are going to college in Montreal now. I need to figure out a way to smuggle some Basques to TX. 
    Another late night parking lot exchange of cash and lump charcoal in your future?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    @stlcharcoal Thanks for taking the time to educate us, much appreciated.  They claim it's more environment friendly than traditional kiln, don't know if it's true or just marketing gimmick.
    Yeah better for the environment just like this.....

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

C'mon now, be fair... that sort of charging station is only used in a few spots in the middle of the Australian Outback where there is ZERO electrical grid infrastructure.
    That said, it is kinda funny tho.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    HeavyG said:

C'mon now, be fair... that sort of charging station is only used in a few spots in the middle of the Australian Outback where there is ZERO electrical grid infrastructure.
    That said, it is kinda funny tho.
    I know.....it's just a funny pic.  I'd buy a Tesla in a heartbeat if I didn't live out in the woods, have so many kids, and need to tow.

Just nice to remind the folks that gives me the stink eye in my Expedition EL that 99% of the electric power in St. Louis comes from three coal burning plants.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Back at a computer where I can type out a better response.  

Yes and no they produce less emissions.  Compared to a traditional kiln with nothing but a chimney, of course!  But since the 90's, every charcoal producing company in the US has to have a smoke burner on it.  The smoke is fired to ~1500F to burn out any particulate, so it's clear as can be.  $5000/day fine otherwise (at least in this state.)

Also, if the retort "charcoal" is undercarbonized since it couldn't hit the high temps, it still has tars, liquors, VOCs, and whatever else you want to call the smoke producing compounds.  So you light it on your grill/smoker and you're the one releasing the emissions into the atmosphere for the first 30 minutes......rather than buying properly carbonized charcoal where all the stuff was kilned out at the plant (and taken through a catalyst to burn it.)  
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @stlcharcoal
    thanks again. It seems OP is happy with xylo, have to try that and see how it compares with Maple Leaf.  No RW here though.
    canuckland
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I don’t know about the process but I use rockwood in the US and this here in Canada. I have used just about everything and settled on those two. I get a very clean, fast fire with little to no smoke and it lights quickly (just like RW). There is almost no dust in the bag and the lump is a good size.

Kind of a moot point now, our Costco has stopped selling charcoal for the season :+(
  • OshawaDave
    Options
    GlennM said:
    I don’t know about the process but I use rockwood in the US and this here in Canada. I have used just about everything and settled on those two. I get a very clean, fast fire with little to no smoke and it lights quickly (just like RW). There is almost no dust in the bag and the lump is a good size.

Kind of a moot point now, our Costco has stopped selling charcoal for the season :+(

I'm going to our Costco today after work and I'll see if they have it.

• EggNorth
    Options
    GlennM said:

In Guelph, they have it down the aisle with the garbage and kitchen bags ... you know, the obvious place for BBQ stuff !   At least it was there last week.

Dave
  • Canugghead
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Glad to hear OP's glowing report and how it stacks up well vs. RW. I was afraid of Xylo passing the emissions from Quebec to my backyard in Ontario, lol!

I still see lots at my local Costco (Vaughan) but I'd take my chances and wait for clearance price, cheap ba*tard I know  :)  Still have 18 bags (despite not buying any for about 3 years now) and I now cook with pellets more often, especially in cold weather.
    canuckland
  • lerxst6
    Options
    Have never have never seen at our Costco here in Naples FL. I’d give it a try if i did though. 
  • GlennM
    Options
    I go to the Guelph Costco regularly. I will check again. I can use a couple more bags. I also go to the Naples Costco regularly in the winter and I have never seen it there. I do get RW in Naples at Ace.   
  • OshawaDave
    Options
    Glad to hear OP's glowing report and how it stacks up well vs. RW. I was afraid of Xylo passing the emissions from Quebec to my backyard in Ontario, lol!

I still see lots at my local Costco (Vaughan) but I'd take my chances and wait for clearance price, cheap ba*tard I know  :)  Still have 18 bags (despite not buying any for about 3 years now) and I now cook with pellets more often, especially in cold weather.

I was at the Oshawa store yesterday and didn't see any? Of course I didn't go down the garbage isle.....At our store lump is normally stored in the aisle with tin foil, ziplock bags etc.

• Canugghead
    Options
    Just came back from Vaughan Costco, didn't see any. Forgot to check garbage idle.
    canuckland
  • EggNorth
    Options
    Was in Guelph yesterday, full skid .... in the garbage aisle  :)
    Dave
  • GlennM
    Options
    Got some in Guelph yesterday. Good for the winter now'