Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Grub

This was just the food I whipped up on Sunday.  Nothing fancy, just trying out some new rubs, recipes and techniques.  I started with 2 meaty half-slabs of Wagyu beef back ribs, which were dusted in OakRidge BBQ Carne Crosta Steakhouse rub and cooked at 245F with oak and cherry.  I've been testing not pulling the back membrane.

Sour cream, garlic and chive smoked deviled eggs were made along with a turkey sausage rope, which got stuffed with a smoked cream cheese onion dip and wrapped in Ras el Hanout Wagyu lardo.

All plated up.

As the ribs essentially slow cooked in their own fat, there was no chance of getting nice, clean cut ribs.  The meat was very tender, super beefy and not overshadowed by the Carne Crosta rub.  The lardo wrapped, onion dip stuffed turkey sausage was cooked until the lardo was crispy and was it the juiciest, most succulent side item I've created in a while.  I would cook this for every meal if it was healthy and not so time consuming to do so.  The deviled eggs were nice.  The sour cream, onion and chive flavors were rather pronounced.  I added some sweet relish juice to try to get more of a typical taste, but the sweetness was not there. 
It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    @smokingal As if there was a doubt...the below challenges were clearly nothing but a mere annoyance as related to the above outcome. 
    "Well, some woodland creature or the wind (or person) knocked over my clay chiminea's top half, causing the whole thing to topple and crash through my deck's railing, causing damage to that as well.  So I spent a good bit of time this morning cleaning up.  Then something began biting (or stinging) the living bejesus out of my left bicep repeatedly.  Looked fairly tiny for the brief second I saw it prior to squashing, but I'm still in pain.  Last time I felt a jolt like that was when I got careless when returning my stun gun to it's holster.  And I'm cooking beef ribs.  Forgot to mention that."
    Awesome as always.  What a varied banquet.  Inspiring but way above my punching weight...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • That all looks spectacular, love the stuffed sausage idea. Great post.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Dang, girl! Awesome!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    That looks to be a very edible plate of vittles 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,407
    Awesome as usual!

How was the ribs with back membrane?  I cooked two racks of beef ribs recently with the membrane removed, however when we bit into it it was like the membrane was still there! Perhaps the low and slow hardened the bottom and built the membrane like layer? still scratching my head  :s 
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    I always pull the membrane as I figure there is "no value add" to its presence.  FWIW-
    BTW- I find removing the beef rib membrane easier than their pork cousins. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Awesome as usual!

How was the ribs with back membrane?  I cooked two racks of beef ribs recently with the membrane removed, however when we bit into it it was like the membrane was still there! Perhaps the low and slow hardened the bottom and built the membrane like layer? still scratching my head  :s 

@Canugghead I feel the membrane kept the moisture in and allowed the ribs to stay intact.  As far as the "ghost membrane" you've mentioned, I've always considered beef ribs to have two membranes.  One that's easily removed (like pork ribs), and the layer under that which is much, much thicker and most people don't seem to remove.  This guy points this out in his Youtube video, stating that he doesn't remove it and then he opts to make hatch marks across it with his knife (around 2:24):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iCBpFC-rbM

I typically slice through that layer, in between the rib bones, and then remove it from the rib attachment points.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    “Nothing fancy”... You’re killing me Smalls...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,407
    Thanks for the explanation and the video. At the 3:54 mark I see him scoring the 'second' membrane.  I seldom cook beef ribs, have to keep this in mind next time, probably won't bother with any removal until slicing/serving.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    You have some of my favorite things on that plate. Especially the deviled eggs.

And dat stuffed/wrapped sausage...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.