Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Plate setter

Options
Hello,

I got the bright idea to use a chimney starter to get my charcoal started (yeah, I know). I placed it on my plate setter and it cracked the plate setter all the way through about half way across. Has anyone else ever had the plate setter crack? I wouldn't think the chimney starter would get much hotter than some of these EGGS when they are at their top end. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• BugFreak72
    Options
    Had a couple break here. Yours might have had some moisture in it or something. I just get a new one and cook on. 
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Ceramic grill store, get the adjustable rig and an oval stone 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Ceramic grill store, get the adjustable rig and an oval stone 
    +1 I haven’t used my plate setter since getting the AR combo, get the extender while you’re at it.  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The Ceramic Grill Store is a good option... unless you can get a replacement platesetter for free. Don't know if they consider what you did to be "misuse or abuse". Also, how long have you had it?

BGE Warrantee

2. OTHER CERAMIC PRODUCTS: (For Residential Users Only. Does not apply to Commercial Use.) The Big Green Egg brand of convEGGtor and Ceramic Pizza/Baking Stones carry a Limited Three (3) Year Warranty to the original residential purchaser. These ceramic components are not covered for breakage or cracks from dropping, improper storage, misuse or abuse.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited September 2019
    Options
    IMO it's uneven heat that cracked it. Heated centre and cool perimeter expand at different  rate. 
    canuckland
  • MO_Eggin
    Options
    To paraphrase some other members, it's a question of when, not if, your platesetter will crack.  My nearly 12 year old PS has developed a hairline fracture that I'm keeping an eye on . . . 
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Cut the legs off and you now have half stones for calzones or doing split direct/indirect cooks.

Then get yourself a Woo or AR kit from Ceramic Grill store.  It's a much better set up than a plate setter ever was.
  • SteveV
    Options
    I've only done 4 cooks with the EGG at this point. I broke it in like it says in the manual and also took it up to about 700 degrees in between my first and second cooks.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    SteveV said:
    I've only done 4 cooks with the EGG at this point. I broke it in like it says in the manual and also took it up to about 700 degrees in between my first and second cooks.
    Doesnt matter, setting a charcoal chimney on it is a different story.   Those suckers get hot.  People blow up their concrete all the time by setting them on the driveway......then they try to blame us for "exploding charcoal".