Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cutting boards

Options
2»

Comments

• Kent8621
    Options
    There is a JJ George (jjgeorgestore.com) that sells Butcher Mat's.  one is 24" and i have the 30" one that is massive but i love it.  i can put 5 racks of ribs on it no problem.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• GatoGordo
    Options
    I got my cutting board from Eric Albrecht at http://www.eawoodwork.com/. He is in South Carolina so he may have also made FanOfFanBoys's boards.
    At the bottom of Eric's cutting board page (http://www.eawoodwork.com/cutting-boards ) he shows a carving board. This appears to be my brother's carving board (we matched the grain from his board to the picture) that I purchased for his 70th birthday. Both boards are excellent quality.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • Kent8621
    Options

i couldn't find the picture with 5 racks but you can see its massive. i highly recommend it. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    GatoGordo said:
    I got my cutting board from Eric Albrecht at http://www.eawoodwork.com/. He is in South Carolina so he may have also made FanOfFanBoys's boards.
    At the bottom of Eric's cutting board page (http://www.eawoodwork.com/cutting-boards ) he shows a carving board. This appears to be my brother's carving board (we matched the grain from his board to the picture) that I purchased for his 70th birthday. Both boards are excellent quality.
    This is the guy FofFB mentioned. I also have one from Eric and received contact information from FofFB. Love mine.
  • speed51133
    Options
    I picked up a display Boos block of end grain maple. It is like 4in thick and has a little cutout to slide a plate under it. I love it and it was like 75% off.

Otherwise just pick up a local made one. These things are not rocket science. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I picked up a display Boos block of end grain maple. It is like 4in thick and has a little cutout to slide a plate under it. I love it and it was like 75% off.

Otherwise just pick up a local made one. These things are not rocket science. 
    Where did you score the display? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• speed51133
    Options
    I picked it up at a Williams-Sonoma in a mall in the Milwaukee area probably 5 or 6 years ago. Why?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I picked it up at a Williams-Sonoma in a mall in the Milwaukee area probably 5 or 6 years ago. Why?
    Just wondering where I might score one. ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Just wondering where I might score one. ;)
    If you are north ever I picked up a Boos edge grain that was like $100 at the time for $60 at the William Sonoma at the outlets. 
  • speed51133
    Options
    mine had a few dings in it, but it's a block of wood meant to be cut on....
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Those cutting boards are beautiful.

I'm taking a risk being kicked out of the Egghead family, but I use two Winco 18" X 24" X 1/2" cutting boards.  

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    GatoGordo said:
    exactly who made mine! I have purchased other items from him too. nice guy
    Boom
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

That’s a bold cutting board!
    My neighbor makes them. He made the yellow and purple one for a friend of mine thats an LSU fan. 

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,913
    Options
    dharley said:
    Michigan Maple from the 1930's. This is what I use primarily. It's not very portable. I would echo the end grain maple. Safe and tough as nails. I intend to get another end grain maple board after reading what @RRP shared about the silica in bamboo. I would love one like @Lit shared above. Beautiful!!
    That is a thing of beauty that will last several lifetimes, unless burnt. @Jeepster sold a similar one when they left Washington, IL for their new home being built in AZ. He offered it to many of us, and while that would have been nice to have it took up lots of floor space. Finally Pete bought it and I believe he uses it as a floor prop in his store selling BGEs.
  • KamadoTom
    Options
    I bought mine from this guy 2-1/2 years ago and it still looks great 227wood

BGE XL, KJ Classic, Weber Performer Copper, 36" Blackstone Pro Series, Weber Genesis Copper, Traeger Pro 22
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RRP said:
    dharley said:
    Michigan Maple from the 1930's. This is what I use primarily. It's not very portable. I would echo the end grain maple. Safe and tough as nails. I intend to get another end grain maple board after reading what @RRP shared about the silica in bamboo. I would love one like @Lit shared above. Beautiful!!
    That is a thing of beauty that will last several lifetimes, unless burnt. @Jeepster sold a similar one when they left Washington, IL for their new home being built in AZ. He offered it to many of us, and while that would have been nice to have it took up lots of floor space. Finally Pete bought it and I believe he uses it as a floor prop in his store selling BGEs.
    I could’ve resold that butcher block at least a dozen times. I really like it. You can see the character all over the block. It just speaks to me. 
  • BugFreak72
    Options
    KamadoTom said:
    I bought mine from this guy 2-1/2 years ago and it still looks great 227wood

Wow for the price those are crazy nice! Not sure I could even get the supplies to make that for his prices. 
  • mb1421
    Options
    I bought an End Grain Walnut from Brooklyn Butcher Block.  Great quality.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,509
    Options
    I really have to keep the planer blades sharp when building end grain walnut & maple boards.
    Nice!  So you're able to machine-plane end grain without tearout, especially at the edges?  
    My acacia-wood end-grain board has dished, so much that I had to attach four feet to keep it from spinning around its center when in use (ie, concave-side up).  I've been tempted to try my jointing plane (board is too wide for my jointer/planer), and I'd be able to plane into the center, stop, and avoid most tear-out, but I'm a bit chicken to try it.  

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Epicurean. Look better than plastic, and go in the dishwasher.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• johnmitchell
    Options

We bought this one a couple of years ago, I wish I new the back history of it.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....