Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easy hot dog chili

Options
This is a poor excuse for a "recipe" but I'll post anyway. I have a couple of scratch hot dog chili recipes (Pink's, The Varsity, Food Wishes) that are pretty good, but sometimes the urge for a dog or two strikes and I don't have any chili made. The only canned chili I ever see in the stores here is Hormel (no beans), so I usually keep a can or two in the pantry. But really, it just doesn't do it for me. Last night, I was in that position and decided to tinker with Hormel's canned stuff.

Spooned enough for two dogs into a small bowl and added a dash of onion powder, garlic powder, cumin and maybe half a dash of chipotle powder. Stirred it to combine and nuked til hot enough to suit. Mustard, chopped onion, plenty of modified chili = pretty tasty! Not as good as scratch, but MUCH better than right out of the can. A ton of sodium though so I don't do this often. Next time you're in the mood for a chili dog and are short on time, give it a try.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I had a coney dog head-to-head cooking competition at work this week.  There is such a thing as a Flint style coney.  It’s spicy browned ground meat.  My buddy at work is from the Flint area like the other folks I work with.  That’s a clue as to who won.  I’m from the Detroit area.  The Detroit coney is topped with a chili and is what you would expect a coney to be topped with. I never heard of a Flint coney until I moved here.  

Here’s both pots of chili.  Mine’s on the left.

I didn’t think to take a plated photo, but here’s a partial coney (I texted this photo to my buddy as a teaser) from my dry run last weekend.

A couple of folks were were on vacation, but the secret vote was in.  I lost 3-1 with 1 abstention.  Me and my buddy didn’t vote.

Note to self:  Never cook against the judges expectations.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I’m sorry.  I can’t do the canned stuff.
    Flint, Michigan
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    tried this once, tad spicy but good

Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    I had a coney dog head-to-head cooking competition at work this week.  There is such a thing as a Flint style coney.  It’s spicy browned ground meat.  My buddy at work is from the Flint area like the other folks I work with.  That’s a clue as to who won.  I’m from the Detroit area.  The Detroit coney is topped with a chili and is what you would expect a coney to be topped with. I never heard of a Flint coney until I moved here.  

Here’s both pots of chili.  Mine’s on the left.

I didn’t think to take a plated photo, but here’s a partial coney (I texted this photo to my buddy as a teaser) from my dry run last weekend.

A couple of folks were were on vacation, but the secret vote was in.  I lost 3-1 with 1 abstention.  Me and my buddy didn’t vote.

Note to self:  Never cook against the judges expectations.
    Good choice going with the King of Beers too. That’s a total pro move!
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ... There is such a thing as a Flint style coney.  It’s spicy browned ground meat.  ...  I’m from the Detroit area.  The Detroit coney is topped with a chili and is what you would expect a coney to be topped with. I never heard of a Flint coney until I moved here.  
    I LOVE Flint Coney Islands, and have never had a Detroit one.  I'm aware there's an old rivalry about this.  I gather you've had both.  How is the Detroit kind different?

And BTW, my understanding is that most Flint Coney Island chili in the restaurants is mostly ground beef heart, not just ground beef, and it gives it a different flavor.  Plus, the Koegel Vienna is the world's best hot dog, and I don't know if they have those in Detroit, so I'm not sure how you can compete. ;)
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm not sure about the ratio, but there is beef heart and ground beef in the topping.  I can't bring myself to call it a sauce.  Abbott's Meats sells the meat mixture to the public and all the Coney Island restaurants in town (there's quite a few!).  Koegel Viennas are my favorite franks.  When I lived in metro Detroit, we bought our dogs from Dearborn Sausage Co.  Incidently, I used to go to the same church as the Koegel family.  They're nice people!

Most coney restaurants in town will ask you when you order if you want Flint coneys or Detroiters.  The Detroiters have a tomato based sauce and are moist and perhaps a little tighter than a sloppy joe consistency.  The two things in common between both styles served here are the Koegel Viennas with mustard and raw onion on top.   
    Flint, Michigan
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    IDK - since I don't live in Atlanta any more, I am left with picking up a can or two of this when I am in town.   It is pretty good.
    https://thevarsity.com/shop/home-products/varsity-chili-in-a-can.html

Raleigh, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2019
    Options
    rekameohs said:
    IDK - since I don't live in Atlanta any more, I am left with picking up a can or two of this when I am in town.   It is pretty good.
    https://thevarsity.com/shop/home-products/varsity-chili-in-a-can.html

This is supposed to be a good clone of The Varsity chili. It's pretty good, but have never had the real thing so I can't compare. From Chuck Lane, original forum, 2002.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1456822/#Comment_1456822

Original post...
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=51080&catid=1

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ... Abbott's Meats sells the meat mixture to the public and all the Coney Island restaurants in town (there's quite a few!).  Koegel Viennas are my favorite franks.
    I've ordered it online from Koegel's, tweaked it just slightly so it tasted more the way I remember it (I've read that most of the restaurants in Flint used Abbott's, but slightly tweak it).  And I like other hot dogs also, sometimes have them, but I really do think Koegel Viennas are the best I've ever had.

... The Detroiters have a tomato based sauce and are moist and perhaps a little tighter than a sloppy joe consistency.  The two things in common between both styles served here are the Koegel Viennas with mustard and raw onion on top.   
    Very interesting -- thanks!  I've never had a Detroit style Coney Island, wondered what they were like.  My step-grandfather Herb LOVED Coney Islands, and every time he and my grandmother came to town he'd take us kids to the Flint Original Coney Island on Court Street (not Tom Z's, the actual place back in the 1950s and early 1960s -- I forget when it closed), and rhapsodize about how wonderful they would be when we got our order, about how they did everything just right, cooking the dogs, warming the buns, the "sweet Bermuda onions..."  But he insisted on one more thing that was required for the perfect Coney Island:  On top of the dog, the chili, the onions and mustard: salt and pepper!  It's a small thing, but I still do it every time.

Thanks for the info!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Abbott’s manufactures the meat mixture for the topping of the Flint style that is spiced by the restaurant or consumer. Koegel manufactures the preferred franks, the Vienna.  I agree the Vienna is top dog!

I’ll have to try putting s&p on it next time.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Can’t say that I’ve ever had canned chili or ever will.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    This is exactly why I keep this in the pantry...

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Most chain stores stock the cans of chili hot dog sauce.  Usually less than $.99 can.  Tastes a lot like Sonics chili cheese dogs, if you like those!