Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Show me your "stick"

Options

Comments

• 77bronco
    77bronco Posts: 56
    Options
    77bronco said:
    Getting set up. 
    @pgprescott I Haven’t checked this thread in a while.  Nice setup.  I’ve been using a tupperdoor and am considering upgrading to the smaller Newair. How do you like it so far. Is that the one that is climate controlled to heat or cool. 
    So far so good. It’s the older unit that just cools. It’s loaded to the gills. I will likely get the smaller one as well.  It sure if I’m missing something by not popping for the newer model. Time will tell I guess. I just figured it would likely be better than the traditional humidors I was using. 
    They seem to be nice units, even the older models. I think I may put it at the top of my Christmas list haha. Stuffed to the gills is a good problem to have. What are you using for humidification?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    77bronco said:
    77bronco said:
    Getting set up. 
    @pgprescott I Haven’t checked this thread in a while.  Nice setup.  I’ve been using a tupperdoor and am considering upgrading to the smaller Newair. How do you like it so far. Is that the one that is climate controlled to heat or cool. 
    So far so good. It’s the older unit that just cools. It’s loaded to the gills. I will likely get the smaller one as well.  It sure if I’m missing something by not popping for the newer model. Time will tell I guess. I just figured it would likely be better than the traditional humidors I was using. 
    They seem to be nice units, even the older models. I think I may put it at the top of my Christmas list haha. Stuffed to the gills is a good problem to have. What are you using for humidification?
    Threw in some distilled water and beads to get the humidity up to snuff initially. Also put a digital humidistat on the second drawer. Sits in my back room which is climate controlled. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    4th of July

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Cut and pasted from another website - just a gentle reminder that dome thermos aren’t the ONLY thing that goes wonky from time to time..

paste:::

How to Test and Calibrate a Hygrometer 

1. Fill a milk bottle cap or another small container with salt, and add a few drops of water (not enough to dissolve the salt).
    2. Put the cap inside of a baggie or plastic container along with your hygrometer, and seal the bag.
    3. Wait 6 hours, then check the reading on your hygrometer without opening the bag (or immediately after removing). If the reading is 75%, then your hygrometer is accurate and no adjustment is required.
    4. If the reading is not precisely 75%, then adjust the hygrometer to 75% by turning the screw or dial on the back. This must be done immediately after removing from the bag or container before room conditions cause the reading to change.

If there is no screw (or dial) to recalibrate your hygrometer, then you will just have to remember to add or subtract the difference between the test reading and 75%, in order to determine the actual humidity level inside of your humidor. For example, if your hygrometer test reading was 80%, then subtract 5% from the readings you get inside of your humidor, to determine the actual levels of humidity (e.g. a reading of 70% inside your humidor equals an actual humidity level of 65%).

Large BGE and Medium BGE
      36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

1. RockyTopDW
      RockyTopDW Posts: 338
      Options
      Liga Privada No9 while enjoying the cooler weather. 
    2. GrateEggspectations
      Options
      A nice smoke. 

I must say, I’m always envious when I see that outdoor setup of yours. Looks like a great place for a stick. 
    3. RockyTopDW
      RockyTopDW Posts: 338
      edited August 2019
      Options
      I have the Newair 250 and love it.  I ordered mine off amazon last October.  
    4. pgprescott
      Options
      I have the Newair 250 and love it.  I ordered mine off amazon last October.  
      I think I’ll get a 250 also and use it more for daily use and the other for bulk/long term storage. 
    5. TexanOfTheNorth
      Options

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

I’ve often read that a long, solid ash is a sign of good construction. I am unable to confirm whether this is true, but it seems plausible in my books. Accordingly, well-rolled cigar right there. 
    7. TexanOfTheNorth
      Options

I’ve often read that a long, solid ash is a sign of good construction. I am unable to confirm whether this is true, but it seems plausible in my books. Accordingly, well-rolled cigar right there. 
      That's what I've been told as well. I think that was a Rocky Patel. I don't often go that long without knocking the ash off but, wanted to see how far I could get. Shortly after taking that pic I had a lap full of ash  :)

That's what I've been told as well. I think that was a Rocky Patel. I don't often go that long without knocking the ash off but, wanted to see how far I could get. Shortly after taking that pic I had a lap full of ash  :)
      Happens to my father in law quite frequently. We’ve threaded to buy him a smoker’s bib on several occasions.

9. pgprescott
      Options
      Shortly after this pic I was in need of that ash bib. 😂
    10. pgprescott
      Options
      Tackle this big boy I found hanging by his lonesome in the wineador. 
    11. RockyTopDW
      Options
      A nice smoke. 

I must say, I’m always envious when I see that outdoor setup of yours. Looks like a great place for a stick. 
      thanks!  I built it in '13.  It was a dream for a long time.
    12. RockyTopDW
      Options
      A Carrillo New Wave while catching up on sports center this morning. 
    13. GrateEggspectations
      Options
      Had an Enclave along with some 103 proof bourbon yesterday. Sadly, no pics. 
    14. RockyTopDW
      Options
      Watching some baseball & enjoying a Padron 1926.  
    15. Aubie1
      Aubie1 Posts: 436
      Options
       JL #2
      XL BGE and L BGE
    16. pgprescott
      Options
      Aubie1 said:
       JL #2
      That’s a nice looking cigar. Never had one
    17. Aubie1
      Aubie1 Posts: 436
      Options

XL BGE and L BGE
    18. SmokeyLopey
      Options
      Good to see you finally finished that Alec Bradley. Was that a five-day cigar?! :)
    19. pgprescott
      Options
      Good to see you finally finished that Alec Bradley. Was that a five-day cigar?! :)
      Whew man! There was a reason it had sat there for better than a year. MONDO!
    20. SmokeyLopey
      Options
      @pgprescott: I have a few more of these, but have trouble making the time commitment. It is a pretty good smoke, so perhaps tomorrow....

And, pardon the dog relieving himself in the picture. I noticed when I came in and am too lazy to go back outside for a new pic!
    21. pgprescott
      Options
      @pgprescott: I have a few more of these, but have trouble making the time commitment. It is a pretty good smoke, so perhaps tomorrow....

And, pardon the dog relieving himself in the picture. I noticed when I came in and am too lazy to go back outside for a new pic!
      Nice! I really like the red label but they all are a good smoke. Enjoy!