Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mustard/no mustard for rubs

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I’ve been smokin for about 4 years now and have always rubbed my briskets, butts and ribs with yellow mustard before throwing on the rub cause this fella told it’s how you do it. Do you guys do that too? I’ve never put on a rub without it.

Comments

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I do it usually on my butts and briskets.  Sometimes on ribs when I remember to do it.  Don't notice a difference.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited August 2019
    Options
    It’s just a binder.  It really isn’t needed.  There is usually enough moisture on protein to hold the rub, so I don’t do it.  I have experimented with using hot sauce or worsestershire, etc. as binders and I can’t tell a taste difference vs no binder at all.  Then again, I can’t taste the difference between a good wine and a great wine,  so maybe others with better pallets will chime in. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I typically do it for my briskets just so I'm not wasting a rub (Not sticking and falling off).  Butts and ribs, never.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I switched from using mustard as the binder to Cholula
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    i put the rub sugars herbs garlic in the mustard in smear it on the ribs sometimes.  theres no way i could get that much on without making a mustard goop ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I tried it a few times. There was no difference in moisture or taste rather than using dry rub only.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    No need - but no harm either.  I get enough rub to stick with just a moist surface on the meat - sometimes a little added water.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I actually find it a negative on ribs in the Egg. The ultra moist environment does not allow for the bark to form on ribs when I use a binder. No issue with butts and brisket however. Cuz they is a longer cook. Binder for ribs done
    on other types of cookers is fine because they all have a drier environment with exponentially higher rates of air flow. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Save the mustard for your hot dogs.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I’m a mustard guy because I like the way it holds rub.  EXTRA BONUS- Wilma despises mustard and mocks my mustard loving ways.  Its the only thing usually on my hot dog and occasionally I dip fries in mustard.  

Wilma doesn’t mind mustard used for a binder on meats going on the egg because the taste is undetectable.  I know it’s not “required” for good rub adhesion, but that’s my secret.  A little payback for mocking my love of French’s Yellow, Grey Poupon and others.
    Flint, Michigan
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,039
    Options
    I didn't like the bark I was getting with mustard. I stopped using it and I've found I like the results better without it
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    When I first started egging, I used mustard as a binder - but didn't take me long to figure out it wasn't needed and didn't add anything to the final product so why bother. Haven't done it since and don't miss it
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker