Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: help me with a business name

Options
2»

Comments

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Supper Time Construction

(brainstorming, thinking outside the box)
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    leemschu said:
    Kind of leaning towards Schultz Builders or Prestige Builders (maybe Prestige Home Builders). Yay or nay?
    Whatever name you are thinking about, do one thing - Google it.
    Something like "Prestige Builders" is too generic and will probably return a gazillion companies all over the US. Not all of them may have good reviews - you don't want your "Prestige Builders" to be confused with one of those gazillion others with a similar name.
    This is the best advice I’ve seen so far.  Someone mentioned the yellow pages.  I’ve never had a phone book in my house in my adult life.  Google, yelp, social media way more important to build and image and a brand than a creative name that gets top yellow page space. 
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    HeavyG said:
    leemschu said:
    Kind of leaning towards Schultz Builders or Prestige Builders (maybe Prestige Home Builders). Yay or nay?
    Whatever name you are thinking about, do one thing - Google it.
    Something like "Prestige Builders" is too generic and will probably return a gazillion companies all over the US. Not all of them may have good reviews - you don't want your "Prestige Builders" to be confused with one of those gazillion others with a similar name.
    This is the best advice I’ve seen so far.  Someone mentioned the yellow pages.  I’ve never had a phone book in my house in my adult life.  Google, yelp, social media way more important to build and image and a brand than a creative name that gets top yellow page space. 
    I did google both and from what I see there are very few Schultz Builders.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Searching your desired name kind of goes without saying.  But, since it has been mentioned, the search should include your state's business license website.  When you do eventually land upon a name, you may find that you are able to reserve the name for a small fee on the state's business license website, even before you commit to the license.  You are not committed to this name, and have the option of choosing a different name prior to actually purchasing the business license at a later time.  Another consideration, here, is whether you want to setup an llc or not.  But I digress...
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    Searching your desired name kind of goes without saying.  But, since it has been mentioned, the search should include your state's business license website.  When you do eventually land upon a name, you may find that you are able to reserve the name for a small fee on the state's business license website, even before you commit to the license.  You are not committed to this name, and have the option of choosing a different name prior to actually purchasing the business license at a later time.  Another consideration, here, is whether you want to setup an llc or not.  But I digress...
    Yes sir I have checked with the state and all the names are available.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Surveyor_Egg
    Options
    The more you set it too focus on your current path, the more you box yourself in a corner.  For a GC company, I would keep it very simple and a little vague.  You can setup your website to display your focus on the current path you are on.  In 5 years you may switch focus from one type to another the match up with market realities.  If your name is generic enough it won't keep you in that market.  Spend some money (but not too much money) on some IT help with SEO and your website.  You want your website to display your work and to flow with your changing focus (if it changes).  Good luck and enjoy the ride.

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,148
    Options
    Any
    Building
    Concepts
      by LM Schultz - Contractor

gets you that “ABC” and communicates your concept immediately. 

Congratulations. HUGE achievement. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    this guy has a few radio adds, he is a hoot to listen to, I would go with something simple and catchy and like heavyg mentioned, just one maine aspect to the business

the ROOFA

Image result for the roofa maine

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gator_Fan
    Options
    Schultz Custom Builders
    No job to large or small. 

John,

Sellersburg, Indiana

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    First Congratulations.  Target demographic or audience and any specific service, tasking or specialty?  Or are you quite literally just wanting to throw your hat (name) into the hundreds or thousands as it is where I am of general contractors.  You want to be able to separate yourself from the pack.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,637
    Options
    If you’re going to go with Prestige, I would go big and go Prestige Worldwide.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,364
    Options
    this guy has a few radio adds, he is a hoot to listen to, I would go with something simple and catchy and like heavyg mentioned, just one maine aspect to the business

the ROOFA

Is there a way to turn on closed captioning on that video? He's harder to understand than the Gator Hunters on cable.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    Schultz Solutions, we can complete your building wishes.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    thetrim said:

the ROOFA

Is there a way to turn on closed captioning on that video? He's harder to understand than the Gator Hunters on cable.
    he is in southern maine, northern maine or up in downeast it gets really tough with the accent with the older generation, even i cant understand it with some.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thetrim
    Options
    Schultz Builders: Your Dream is our Erection
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Scout706
    Scout706 Posts: 27
    Options
    WSUOT Contracting
    "We Show Up On Time!"
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Get Schultz done right
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Get Schultz done right
    The irony is killing me
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,365
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    Get Schultz done right
    The irony is killing me
    Guess "Schultz Happens" might not be the best name either.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    If it’s residential Schultz Custom Homes, or commercial building Schultz Contracting Corporation.

I’m just saying worse case. Worse case is you decide to go out on the limb when life is good and get upside down for about $1.0 Million it’s easier to dump a name like Ace Builders or Design Build. Dump it and then go with a company tied to your name. Just saying....
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • thetrim
    Options
    Updates?
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,189
    Options
    Lulz Good Time Construction
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • leemschu
    Options
    After talking to a lot different people I went with the standard Schultz Construction. Just waiting to hear back from the state now.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Built by Schultz, you can have shirts made with BS in large letters on them !
    Just kidding, congratulations on getting your license.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.