Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it treason, adultery or both? Something arrived today

Options

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Yno said:
    From a business perspective, the lack of any real fundamental upgrades to the egg doesn’t compel someone to upgrade to a new model. Customers just hang on their egg and ride the lifetime warranty. That’s not good for revenue growth. KJ is giving existing owners a real upgrade from their older models and as everyone knows, that’s good for the bottom line. 
    I partially agree with you. My Egg is less than four years old, but there seem to be a lot of people here on the forum with much older Eggs. These people seem to still be turning out great food. What exactly does a KJ have that would make the results better? 

I know people like to have the latest and greatest whatever. I keep upgrading my phones, but not until the new features are worth something to me. My Egg is working perfectly, and I don't have any reason to get something new.

I do agree with the part about a company's bottom line. A company either has to get new customers or get existing customers to purchase a new product. I just don't know what features could make me want to replace my Egg. Maybe buy a second down the line, but the features on the current Egg suit me just fine. 
    There is no way I'd replace an egg to get a KJIII   But, if you need a new one anyhow you would be missing out to not consider the KJIII over the current egg.

Pros

The indirect plate they developed along with Harvard is way better than anything from CGS or the platsetter.  It gives the smoke and heat a convection movement that more completely surrounds the interior of the cooker. Making less hot spots, no overhang, and more even multi tier cooking.

The cart is infinitely better than a nest with a handler.

The interior is made in a way that reduces the likely hood of cracking so you don't have to deal with warranty as much.

The warranty is WAY easier to deal with. Some of you are blessed with great long term retailers of BGE. Most markets don't have that.

The daisy wheel is better designed on the KJ

You get all the accessories you would have bought from CGS included so that saves 300-500$$

Cons

There are no good forums. and every recipe you want you need to search big green egg instead of KJ

It doesn't have the cult following.

You get shamed on this forum.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Also, I have painted or powder coated everything I can in my backyard, and have a green patio mat. Red would just be out of the question!!!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I've had my KJ Jr for over four years, now.  I use it on a regular basis and I like it.  I've always spoken highly of it within this forum. 

Regarding the warranty, though, I was surprised recently when I submitted a claim for a replacement fire ring.  Mine is still usable but it developed a crack so I figured I'd submit the warranty claim and keep the replacement on hand in the event the original crumbles at some point.  Everything was going well with the claim until this:

After first stating that my claim would be processed in a few weeks due to the fact that the fire ring was on back-order, Kamado Joe Online Warranty Claim Writes:
    So sorry, but I was informed that we do not ship to Alaska. We do ship to Canada, so if you provide a shipping address for a broker we can get it there and then you can work with them on getting it to you.

When I then suggested that the Alaska Ace Store could act as my broker, I was greeted with this:
    The Alaska Ace store can put in a special order for you to purchase it, so you would not have to get back to me because I would have anything to do with purchased items. The dealer would contact their sales rep. If you have a shipping address for Canada, let me know and I will place a warranty order. 

Not exactly top notch support, in my book.  Maybe I just got the wrong agent but still.

Anyway, I'm working with my local Ace Hardware store to act as my broker.  Fortunately, my local Ace store has always been great to work with and they said they are going to try and take care of me.  I gave them my claim number with Corporate Kamado Joe and they are currently looking in to it and will see if they can have it delivered to one of their freight forwarding facilities (most likely, Seattle). The thing is I purchased this in Alaska through my local Ace store, not through some sort of special order online, or anything, and nothing was said at the time. 

I realize there probably isn't a very large contingency of  KJ Jr owners living in Alaska, but I will say I've made a couple of claims with BGE and never experienced any push back of any kind.  

Edit: Correction: I wrote 'is' when I meant to say 'isn't' in the first line of the last paragraph.  (kind of obvious, but...)
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    I've had my KJ Jr for over four years, now.  I use it on a regular basis and I like it.  I've always spoken highly of it within this forum. 

Regarding the warranty, though, I was surprised recently when I submitted a claim for a replacement fire ring.  Mine is still usable but it developed a crack so I figured I'd submit the warranty claim and keep the replacement on hand in the event the original crumbles at some point.  Everything was going well with the claim until this:

After first stating that my claim would be processed in a few weeks due to the fact that the fire ring was on back-order, Kamado Joe Online Warranty Claim Writes:
    So sorry, but I was informed that we do not ship to Alaska. We do ship to Canada, so if you provide a shipping address for a broker we can get it there and then you can work with them on getting it to you.

When I then suggested that the Alaska Ace Store could act as my broker, I was greeted with this:
    The Alaska Ace store can put in a special order for you to purchase it, so you would not have to get back to me because I would have anything to do with purchased items. The dealer would contact their sales rep. If you have a shipping address for Canada, let me know and I will place a warranty order. 

Not exactly top notch support, in my book.  Maybe I just got the wrong agent but still.

Anyway, I'm working with my local Ace Hardware store to act as my broker.  Fortunately, my local Ace store has always been great to work with and they said they are going to try and take care of me.  I gave them my claim number with Corporate Kamado Joe and they are currently looking in to it and will see if they can have it delivered to one of their freight forwarding facilities (most likely, Seattle). The thing is I purchased this in Alaska through my local Ace store, not through some sort of special order online, or anything, and nothing was said at the time. 

I realize there probably is a very large contingency of  KJ Jr owners living in Alaska, but I will say I've made a couple of claims with BGE and never experienced any push back of any kind.  

That is absolutely ridiculous! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• mahenryak
    edited August 2019
    Options
    ... mahenryak writes <warranty issue with KJ corporate, blah, blah, blah>

That is absolutely ridiculous! 
    Yeah, my local Ace store commented that they were surprised to learn that they would ship to Canada but not Alaska.  We're used to dealing with shipping issues up here, as you well know, it just comes with the territory, but that's kind of a new one.  I didn't like the feeling that the KJ support person was seemingly trying to just blow me off in the end.  My one experience shouldn't be used to judge the whole company but I felt that I needed to at least put it out there for potential Alaska customers in the future who may be reading this.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I glanced at their warranty policy online and did not see any exclusions involving Alaska.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• mahenryak
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I glanced at their warranty policy online and did not see any exclusions involving Alaska.
    Interesting. Thank you for that information.  I don't want to further hijack the thread but I'll follow up with how things go through Ace.  If they are unable to help me I'll pursue this angle a little more.  Maybe I'll ask to speak with someone hire up, etc.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    Interesting. Thank you for that information.  I don't want to further hijack the thread but I'll follow up with how things go through Ace.  If they are unable to help me I'll pursue this angle a little more.  Maybe I'll ask to speak with someone hire up, etc.
    You might pop over to the https://www.kamadoguru.com/ forum. They have a Kamado Joe section and you could ask if anyone else has ever run into problems getting warranty replacement parts sent to Alaska/Hawaii.

I did a search but nothing turned up. If you do ask it might take a day or three to get any replies.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• mahenryak
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Thank you @HeavyG .  Good advice.

Edit:
    I just signed up for an account over at kamadoguru.com and submitted my question.  It says it's pending approval, though.  We shall see.

• mahenryak
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Just to put a bow on my clamoring regarding the support case that I had open with Kamado Joe, I did ultimately have success in securing my replacement fire box.  It took my dealer, Ace Hardware, to take up the mantle in my defense.  The original agent that was assigned to my case on the Kamado Joe website might benefit from some customer service training, but that aside, in the end I should be receiving my replacement fire box next week.  So, unless something weird happens like my fire box never shows up, this should mark the end of it--at least for now.

Edit: So, it turns out my claim being processed may have also been due, at least in part, to a moderator over at the kamado guru site that @HeavyG recommended.  I just visited my thread over there a few minutes ago and saw that an Administrator had also reached out to Kamado Joe's website on my behalf.  Thank you HeavyG for the tip.  I PM'd him to thank him and he replied back saying that it may have been the dealer, or may have been him, I guess I'll never know for sure.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Did they finally get rid of the cheap looking flimsy plastic shelves and handles on the KJ? I'm also very surprised that so many people on here complain about the BGE dealer network and warranty replacement issues. I haven't had an actual issue yet but after speaking to both my local dealers on numerous occasions and asking them what their process was for warranty claims, both told me all I had to do was just bring in a photo of the damaged part and they would order a replacement and let me know when it was in. They both said (Usually within 2 weeks).

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Did they finally get rid of the cheap looking flimsy plastic shelves and handles on the KJ? I'm also very surprised that so many people on here complain about the BGE dealer network and warranty replacement issues. I haven't had an actual issue yet but after speaking to both my local dealers on numerous occasions and asking them what their process was for warranty claims, both told me all I had to do was just bring in a photo of the damaged part and they would order a replacement and let me know when it was in. They both said (Usually within 2 weeks).
    My classic and jr have the cheap goods. I still like em. I like my eggs more, however. 

• unoriginalusername
    Options

The tables are made of metal. The main handle looks similar to the photo above 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I think the new ones look nice. I like the old too. 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options

Ordered a second. Going to build a table for the two of the Joes as well 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

Dude your eggs are red. You need to call headquarters....

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options

Dude your eggs are red. You need to call headquarters....
    They just got ripe.
  • REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    Options
    Have you ever seen a KJ? I have 3 eggs, first 20 yrs ago. Probably responsible for 15 other BGE purchases by family and friends. Bought my son an KJ XL for house warming gift at Costco roadshow. Quality product and just as good as BGE. Shelves are top notch., not flimsy or plastic. Can’t comment on the warranty as no issues yet. Why the hard on for KJ? 
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    REB17 said:
    Have you ever seen a KJ? I have 3 eggs, first 20 yrs ago. Probably responsible for 15 other BGE purchases by family and friends. Bought my son an KJ XL for house warming gift at Costco roadshow. Quality product and just as good as BGE. Shelves are top notch., not flimsy or plastic. Can’t comment on the warranty as no issues yet. Why the hard on for KJ? 
    Yes I’ve seen a KJ. I spent weeks going back and forth comparing it to the BGE when i
    was looking at getting my first kamado. To me it felt like an inferior product. That plus I hate the color red.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options

Have done a tomahawk and Ribs so far. Early impressions is the SloRoller is a better platesetter for even heat. Haven’t don’t a brisket or anything really large yet 
    Bet it will help with pizzas 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options

Havent used the sloRoller yet but the divide and conquer paired with the vertical space is awesome.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options

I would paint the wood portion of my Egg table red, then paint the KJ table green; but I'm kind've weird that way.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options

Square 'em up, face 'em off  then "Battle of the Titans."  Let us know how it goes-I would use ribs as the protein of choice as they seem to reflect the cooker they were cooked on.  But your $$ and glad you are able to power thru to four ceramic rigs regardless of who makes them.  Very understanding SWMBO and I'm sure there is a pay-off down-stream but well-played. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Botch said:
    I would paint the wood portion of my Egg table red, then paint the KJ table green; but I'm kind've weird that way.  

canuckland
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    One more.... contagion? 

Joe jr 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    We must cut off the infection before it spreads. Someone grab the scalpel...

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Someone grab his credit card 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    Someone grab his credit card 
    Please do ... my wife will gladly hand it over lol 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    My wife didn’t buy the excuse that I found the little one inside the big one lol