Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Grates

Options
JWBurns
JWBurns Posts: 344
edited August 2019 in EggHead Forum
Im back into the egg game after picking up a new XL. 

Id like to do some searing close to the lump, and was thinking about picking up a cast iron grate or a set of grill grates. 

Which of the two would you guys recommend??

Is a spider from CGS really necessary to do this, or will the CI grate or Grill Grate suffice at the standard cooking level? 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    If you are wanting to get a great sear/Char, Grill Grates are not the answer.
    Not knocking the product, I like them.
    Getting closer to the lump with the Spider and a smaller, standard, stainless grate on top, works great.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    edited August 2019
    Options
    You'd risk warping the grill grates getting them that close to the lump. I use a cast iron grate sitting directly on the lump. What @Photo Egg suggest works well too
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Alternatively, you can put your protein directly on the lump.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited August 2019
    Options
    All you get with Grill Grates is burned grill marks and under-developed browning between them. Just get an extender that puts the grate closer to the lump. If you want a griddle just put a cast iron pan over the stock grate. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Alternatively, you can put your protein directly on the lump.
    This.  Caveman 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I just bought a set of grill grates and I’m not impressed with them. 
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    Just throw that meat right on those coals !

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I've got grill grates for my Portable Kitchen PK Original grill.
    I have also used them on the Egg.
    Even though Grill Grates sells them for the Egg, I've read somewhere that they are not really recommended for Egg's due to the high air flow restriction the grates cause. I may have read this on the Amazing Ribs website.
    I use them frequently, but I don't really like them. They are composed of multiple sections that slide interlock together. They are a major pain to deal with.
    I typically use them inverted and I cook on the flat side to maximize the meat contact with the hot surface.
    Honestly, I don't know why I keep using them.
  • FSUMark
    FSUMark Posts: 35
    Options
    I bought them instead of a cast iron grate, and they seem to do what I want them to well.  Better searing than the stainless grate that comes with the egg.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The secret to the grill grates is to lower your temp. It’s a bit counterintuitive. 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    I have the spider and matching grate for my large.  Great searing.

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The secret to the grill grates is to lower your temp. It’s a bit counterintuitive. 

Agree, Grill Grates are for cooking, not adding a sear after a slow roast.
    They did take a little learning curve and I cook with mine at felt level atop my Woo most of the time. Creates a very even cooking zone.
    But wanting grill grate marks and wanting a good sear are 2 different things.
    I think people are buying the Grill Grates expecting a sear and that's not what they are made to do cooking on the raised ribs. Even flipping them over, they are high grade aluminum and will warp. They are more intended to be used as a flat griddle. They will never replace the sear you get with a hot cast iron pan or direct flames.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bradleya123
    Options
    I bought the Grill Grates as well, not totally impressed.  Makes nice grill marks, also turned it over and did smash burgers.  CI is much better for smash burgers as you can get the CI way hotter!  
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Go to a steel supplier or scrap yard and pick up a piece of 1/4" A36 mild steel plate. Sear directly on that, on a spider if you have one, or just on the grid in the normal position. Wall to wall sear. I've been meaning to do just that for quite some time now, but the steel yard is 40 miles away and I never seem to get around to it. Or, just use a CI skillet or griddle.

The steel does a great pizza too. I have a 14"x17" piece that fits in my oven. Cost about $12! Need a piece sized for my egg.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I have GrillGrates on my gasser. If I want a sear without waiting for the Egg to get to a higher temperature, I can get the grates up to 750 degrees (measured with an IR gun) in a few minutes, and it will put a perfect sear on a steak or tri-tip in 30 seconds per side. I use them inverted because I don't need grill marks.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    I'd go Caveman!

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    I use the Grates for the pretty lines, usually run 600 grate temp.
    Sudbury, Ontario