Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help, cooking a mix of bone-in chicken breast, thighs, legs for company tonight.

Options
Jclayto
Jclayto Posts: 27
Don't shoot me, but I am just not a chicken guy so I have not experimented much in years of egging. I have some picky eaters coming for dinner tonight that only do chicken so this will me by trial by fire smoke. My wife picked up some mixed bone in, skin on chicken - large breast, thighs and legs. I am planning to pull back the skin, dust with my favorite bbq rub, maybe add a pat of butter and pull the skin back over. 

Question for the group as I have read a ton of different answers searching old post. 

Should I plan to do this indirect or direct? Low and Slow or relatively fast?  I am open to any option, just trying to keep it as moist as possible and use a handful of cherry or apple chips to pick up some smoke. 

I have a raised grid that i could use, or i can do a standard indirect. I could really use advice on which method would work best and a rough idea of how long i should budget at what temp. Guest will be here in 4.5 hours so I need to get started soon. 

Thanks!

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would go indirect/raised up in the dome anywhere from 375-425°. Prolly take 45mins to an hour.   Go light on the smoke because poultry absorbs smoke fast.  Pull breast around 155° and thigh/legs anything over 160°.  I like to run the thighs on up to about 185-190 because it gives them the texture I like 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jclayto
    Options
    I would go indirect/raised up in the dome anywhere from 375-425°. Prolly take 45mins to an hour.   Go light on the smoke because poultry absorbs smoke fast.  Pull breast around 155° and thigh/legs anything over 160°.  I like to run the thighs on up to about 185-190 because it gives them the texture I like 
    Should I pop the thighs and legs on a little before the breast to try finish them at the same time?
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Just put them towards the back of the egg.  That’s your hotspot 

analyze adapt overcome

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Id go raised direct - 350-400. Dark meat towards the back.  And don’t use any wood chunks - chicken can suck in that smoke in an unpleasant way.  JMO
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Jclayto
    Options
    Got it! Thanks everyone. 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Hope everything goes your way.  

analyze adapt overcome