Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for home dry-agers...

Options
About 3” of Costco prime NY strip coming my way for dinner.  This has only been aging about 10 days, but it’s what I want for dinner.  I’ve always cut-away the dried “heel” - anyone leave it on?  Will it soften while cooking, or will it chew like shoe leather and ruin my beautiful steak?

Thanks in advance!

Maryland, 1 LBGE

Comments

• wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    My buddy trims his off and renders it down in a slow cooker.  I've used some of the tallow when cooking on my Blackstone and it's fantastic.
    NC - LBGE
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,196
    Options
    Don’t trim it. You’re cutting off the best part. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Don’t expect much after 10 days. 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    I would just grill that.  It will soften and end up being the crispier side.  I would only cut it off if there was significant mold growth and then only the thinnest cut possible.

Agree with DoubleEgger.  10 days won't change the flavor much, but it will allow some of the water to evaporate and thus concentrate the fat and beef flavor.

Looks like you picked a nice piece of beef!  Their prime pieces can be hit or miss in terms of the marbling and thus living up to the prime stamp.

Did you buy it originally in the cryo?  Asking, because anything they take out of the cryo, they run through the jaccard, which really annoys me.  Theoretically, it's a health risk, but I've never heard of anyone having any issues with traditional rare or medium rare cooks.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    @cssmd27 I bought it whole in the cryo.  I realize about the limited effect of only 10 days - thought I adequately suggested that in my post.  This is my 4th effort - done bone-in and boneless prime rib-eye and another prime strip...have gone out as much as 50 days.  Gonna let the rest of this age-out.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Nice looking steak. Glad it worked out for you.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Looks perfect!!

@JohnEggGio - Sorry, I didn't mean to imply any lack of experience.  I was just adding my thoughts and opinions.  I'll admit I didn't read your first post carefully and was just chiming in on DoubleEgger's comments.

Cutting off a piece here and there as it dry ages actually makes a lot of sense, although I've never done that.  I may consider that in the future.  Every cut gets better and better and you always have the edge that is favorably dried.  And, you never have the waste of having to trim an end.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    @cssmd27 no worries.  I like cutting off a steak from time to time, to see if I can detect changes.  That said though, I ought to go get another one now and get it started.

There was a lot of good flavor in that end crust.  I softened it up a bit by letting it sit in a small puddle of olive oil for a few hours.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE