Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any interest in this BBQ event in Williamsburg, VA?

Hey Eggerz,

I recently had the pleasure of assisting my good pal Johnny P on his amateur cook team at Dizzy Fest.  It was a fun time and it reminded me a lot of an event I throw with my local Rotary Club, the 2nd Annual Williamsburg PRO AM BBQ Cook Off.  At this event, your ticket gets you unlimited samples of beef brisket, pulled pork and sides from 8 of the region's top BBQ purveyors plus a couple drink tickets which can be used for beer or water.  Then, you get to vote for your favorite and we hand out trophies to the top teams.  It's great fun with live music at a great location at Jamestown Beach Event Park in Williamsburg, VA.

There is another aspect of this event which I thought might interest some of you.  It's the amateur competition, where amateur teams (like Johnny P and I were at Dizzy Fest) compete against one another, this time for CASH prizes (no cash at DF, only glory).  Amateurs serve their best chicken, pork ribs, and pulled pork.  First place in each category gets $250 and $100 for 2nd.  Only had 5 teams compete in last year's innagural event. The odds are in your favor if you think you can make some good chew.  plus, I am convinced the amateurs had the most fun of anyone last year.  They camped out over night, most of them, and we've even got a guy bringing his RV this year.

So, aside from shameless promotion, I guess my question is: Would you be interested in participating in an event like this?  If not, what would make it more appealing?  You can get more info and all the details at our website, www.WilliamsburgPROAMBBQ.com.

As the event organizer, your input means a lot. And if you do decide to come, find me and tell me at the event!

Yours,
Brad 
When do y'all teach me the secret handshake?
XL BGE, 36" Blackstone, and a Wah Wah pedal
Williamsburg, VA

Comments

• SmartyPantz
    SmartyPantz Posts: 145
    I see how y'all are... 

Williamsburg, VA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I was away at the North GA Eggfest over the weekend. Just catching up on post here. 

I would be interested in doing some amateur competitions....but really see this being more of a retirement passion......as it is difficult to do with my current work / play schedule. Perhaps if in my geography, it would me more feasible. Traveling and the necessary packing and prep is a significant effort. Bottom line, when i can find more time in my day/week/month/life etc.....would love to do it. I would also need a partner to work with who has a similar passion and easy to work with on the cooking strategies. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,126
    Ok. Since you made an excellent Trading Places reference, I’ll chime in. I’m not someone who is generally interested in cooking in these types events so I’ll provide my viewpoint as to why it’s not appealing to me. It’s my viewpoint, yours is likely to be very different. 

As Robin mentioned, it’s an expensive endeavor to make a trip across the state/region/country to attend these things. Most have limited vacation time as well and that’s not how I’m looking to use vacation days and disposible income. 

Also it’s hard work to produce a lot of quality food in a remote setting. I take a lot of pride in the food I serve people. Understandably so, a lot of cooks “dumb down” their cooks for simplicity’s sake. I’m just not the guy that’s willing to wrap a piece of sausage in bacon and serve it to strangers. I’m not putting my name on that. 

The biggest turn off for me is that I’m supposed to incur the expense of providing and cooking food so that someone else can profit off of that. That’s a resounding No Way in He!! for me. If the money is going to charity, that’s one thing, but having for profit entities making handsome sums of money at $30/head is another. Some even had the audacity to charge cooks. If you are trying to sell yourself or your product, then I totally understand the motive to go cook at these things. As a regular backyard chef, I simply don’t get the point to cook unless it’s charity oriented. The chance to win a nominal amount of money isn’t enough of a motivator for me. Be specific as to where the money is going. In this case, it’s the Rotary Club. That’s cool. Is it for Rotary’s Polio campaign? Is it just going into Rotary’s general coffers to pay for the Christmas party? I believe the more transparency, the more interest you’ll get. As for the hardware store cooking demos, same concept applies. No need for me to go help a store sell eggs to others. My limited amount of free time is too valuable to me. 

There are three types of folks when it comes to grilling. People who are profiting off of the industry in some fashion. Backyard grillers who need their ego stroked by people telling them how great their food is. Lastly, just low key folks that know how to cook. Actually there’s four. People who don’t have a clue as to what they’re doing. Your goal as an organizer is how to appeal to those first three groups. The third is the biggest challenge. 
  • Do teams need to dress in colonial period outfits and cook on colonial era equipment?
  • SmartyPantz
    Ok. Since you made an excellent Trading Places reference, I’ll chime in. I’m not someone who is generally interested in cooking in these types events so I’ll provide my viewpoint as to why it’s not appealing to me. It’s my viewpoint, yours is likely to be very different. 

As Robin mentioned, it’s an expensive endeavor to make a trip across the state/region/country to attend these things. Most have limited vacation time as well and that’s not how I’m looking to use vacation days and disposible income. 

Also it’s hard work to produce a lot of quality food in a remote setting. I take a lot of pride in the food I serve people. Understandably so, a lot of cooks “dumb down” their cooks for simplicity’s sake. I’m just not the guy that’s willing to wrap a piece of sausage in bacon and serve it to strangers. I’m not putting my name on that. 

The biggest turn off for me is that I’m supposed to incur the expense of providing and cooking food so that someone else can profit off of that. That’s a resounding No Way in He!! for me. If the money is going to charity, that’s one thing, but having for profit entities making handsome sums of money at $30/head is another. Some even had the audacity to charge cooks. If you are trying to sell yourself or your product, then I totally understand the motive to go cook at these things. As a regular backyard chef, I simply don’t get the point to cook unless it’s charity oriented. The chance to win a nominal amount of money isn’t enough of a motivator for me. Be specific as to where the money is going. In this case, it’s the Rotary Club. That’s cool. Is it for Rotary’s Polio campaign? Is it just going into Rotary’s general coffers to pay for the Christmas party? I believe the more transparency, the more interest you’ll get. As for the hardware store cooking demos, same concept applies. No need for me to go help a store sell eggs to others. My limited amount of free time is too valuable to me. 

There are three types of folks when it comes to grilling. People who are profiting off of the industry in some fashion. Backyard grillers who need their ego stroked by people telling them how great their food is. Lastly, just low key folks that know how to cook. Actually there’s four. People who don’t have a clue as to what they’re doing. Your goal as an organizer is how to appeal to those first three groups. The third is the biggest challenge. 
    Thanks for appreciating my reference!

You make excellent points.  With regard to the proceeds, we are hoping to raise $8,000 for 3e restoration, a locally based non-profit that walks with the homeless and socially displaced into a life of wholistic sufficiency.  Right now, with my prize money and low entry fee, the amateur side of the competition is a money looser for me unless I can get 8+ teams to compete.  The main part of the event, that most of our ticketed customers come for, is the PRO team side, where they get to sample beef brisket, pulled pork and sides from 8 of the regions top BBQ places.  I created the amateur side because it would have been something I would have wanted to go to and participate in. Alas, if it isn't profitable this year, we may have to dump it.  That's the reason for the promotion and the questions.  I may be fretting a little too much this early in the game.  People generally don't sign up more than a week in advance for these things.  Lord knows, I don't sell the lions share of my tickets until a few days before the event (a nail biter). But, seriously, thanks for you feedback.  I know some of y'all travel to things like Butt Blast and such to cook, and, while I haven't gone to Butt Blast yet, I thought I'd be making something similar where people get to camp out, drink and have fun, all for a good cause.  I'll let you know how it all turns out.

-Brad
    Williamsburg, VA
  • SmartyPantz
    Do teams need to dress in colonial period outfits and cook on colonial era equipment?
    No, but we will add 5 points to your score total if you do!
    Williamsburg, VA