Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rusty bands anyone?

Options
fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,236
Anyone else have a problem with the bands rusting bad? Not sure why this happened. Would this be covered by the mothership? 

Also noticed I have some holes near the top of the lower vent. Any suggestions on how to patch that up?

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Caulk on the vent issue, warranty on the band issue. I believe the bands have a five year warranty. Do you live in a really humid climate?
  • fence0407
    Options
    Caulk on the vent issue, warranty on the band issue. I believe the bands have a five year warranty. Do you live in a really humid climate?
    Thanks! I live in good ole North Georgia. Plenty humid here. Have friends with eggs like mine that sit outside uncovered and have no rust. Anyone have the email address for who to contact at the mothership? Bruce something maybe?
    Cumming, GA  

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Clear silicone on the vent. Clean off all of the old silicone and apply the new stuff. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    The silicone fix will work, but I believe some how the vent has been knocked downward. It is held in place with stainless steel nuts and bolts. To correct the placement you will need to take your fire ring and fire box out so you can get to the nuts. Then just loosen them and shift the stainless steel vent upwards so that it is covering the rectangular hole in the ceramic base. I know that's more work, but then it will have been fixed properly.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    Thanks! I live in good ole North Georgia. Plenty humid here. Have friends with eggs like mine that sit outside uncovered and have no rust. Anyone have the email address for who to contact at the mothership? Bruce something maybe?
    b.bohannon@biggreenegg.com

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Do you keep your egg covered when not using it?  (May be accumulating moisture under the cover)....
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• fence0407
    Options
    Do you keep your egg covered when not using it?  (May be accumulating moisture under the cover)....
    100% uncovered. Could see that being a possible cause though. 
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    RRP said:
    The silicone fix will work, but I believe some how the vent has been knocked downward. It is held in place with stainless steel nuts and bolts. To correct the placement you will need to take your fire ring and fire box out so you can get to the nuts. Then just loosen them and shift the stainless steel vent upwards so that it is covering the rectangular hole in the ceramic base. I know that's more work, but then it will have been fixed properly.
    Interesting - thank you for pointing that out! 
    Cumming, GA  

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    having same issue and I’m within 4 days of 5 years!  Gonna give this a shot!!! Quickly!
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    Are theirs out in the sun, and yours in the shade?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Bands and Nests rust big time here in the Gulf Coast.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Apparently they don't cover rust. Even within 5 years. That's the word I am getting from my dealer who is in contact with Green Egg. New bands are "relatively" cheap, however.  They are also an upgrade. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    etherdome said:
    Apparently they don't cover rust. Even within 5 years. That's the word I am getting from my dealer who is in contact with Green Egg. New bands are "relatively" cheap, however.  They are also an upgrade. 
    The warranty is pretty clear on the matter of rusting parts:
    3. METAL COMPONENTS: (For Residential Users Only) METAL COMPONENTS: Metal, Stainless Steel and Cast Iron components of the EGG (including the metal bands, hinge mechanism, cooking grid, fire grate, upper vent cap and lower draft door) carry a Limited Five (5) Year Structural Integrity Warranty to the original purchaser. The Big Green Egg makes every effort to utilize materials that resist rust and to apply high temperature coatings on metal surfaces. However, metal materials and protective coatings can be compromised by surface scratches or exposure to substances and conditions beyond BGE’s control. Among other things, chemicals, chlorine, industrial fumes, fertilizers, extreme humidity, lawn pesticides, trinidad moruga scorpion peppers and sodium chloride are some of the substances that can corrode paint and finish on metal coatings. For these reasons, the Warranty on Metal, Stainless Steel and Cast Iron Components DOES NOT COVER RUST, OXIDATION, FADING, DISCOLORING, BLEMISHES or REPLACEMENT DUE TO ADJUSTMENT OR ALIGNMENT OF PARTS OR COMPONENTS, unless it also results in a loss of structural integrity or a failure of these components of the EGG. Band and Hinge alignment and adjustment support is available from an Authorized Dealer.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fence0407
    Options
    etherdome said:
    You should send Bruce an email with pictures. b.bohannon@biggreenegg.com

I got both my large and mini covered with his approval for rust in the images I posted. He was very helpful!
    Cumming, GA  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks about like mine.  Still works tho.
    Options
    Looks about like mine.  Still works tho.
    Agreed. I dont have any initial plans to change them out. Just wanted to get the replacement bands from BGE if possible. Gonna get rutland gaskets at some point and do it all at once.
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    UPDATED: worked with Bruce and a local distributor and got the free replacement bands for both the large and mini today. Excellent service from BGE!
    Cumming, GA