Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Underbite

Options

I recently bought a BGE that is about 7 years old or so..has the spring latch... anyhow I did everything you were supposed to do for cleaning, replaced the gasket, power washed the grid, new charcoal plate etc.. it looks like new ,,but i have this underbite of 1/4 to 3/8 inch.. all the old posts really do explain how to correct. ..suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options

@Richardz - first welcome to the forum. Now onto your question. I was gifted a used SBGE and picked it up today. It had a massive underbite and I tried all the ideas I could find using the search engine and google to no avail. This egg was poorly assembled new and had been sitting unused for years. I finally just made a guess that due to the poor original assembly, that the bands may have become deformed. So I reversed the bands - moved the top one to the bottom and the bottom one to the top, and now everything is aligned beautifully. Just one man’s experience. Good luck.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

An underbite is almost always due to the bands being pushed too far up and/or down on the ceramic haunch they are mounted to. They need to line up with the transition between the gasket and the edge of the ceramics. When they are forced on the ceramics further the hinge is activated slightly and pulls the lid back toward the hinge. Readjust the bands to line up with the edge of the ceramics and parallel to each other and this should cure you.

• Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Options

I just bought a new bands for my older egg....hoping this corrects my overbite....my egg is about 10 yrs old...

• Predsegger
    Options

Second on the new bands.  I have a large and was constantly fighting with alignment issues.  Installed the new bands and haven't had an issue since.

Franklin, TN LBGE
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options

I also just bought new bands for my large two weeks ago. All problems solved. Should’ve done it years ago...

Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!