Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! My Large BGE is sick :-( huge "underbite" following gasket replacement)

Options
SomedayMommy
SomedayMommy Posts: 199
edited October 2018 in EggHead Forum
So yesterday I decided to replace my gasket on my Large BGE (2012). It lined up fine before then, but smoke escaped out the back. I didn't loosen the bands or anything in any way. I went to close it, and this bad underbite occurred. Never happened like this before.

See how the back is pushed waaaay back? Looks REAL wonky.
1. Do you think I just need an adjustment? (if so, think I can I pay someone to come out to help me)
2. Or do I need a whole new hinge, bolts, and bands?
     A. How much would that run me?
     B. What's the lead time on something like that (I do my Mad Max turkey, lead time is critical)

My white clips have no way of fitting. 

Comments

• SomedayMommy
    SomedayMommy Posts: 199
    edited October 2018
    Options
    How can I post my pic? I attach it, but it doesn't show. *I figured out photo*
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Just drag it from your desktop into your post.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SomedayMommy
    Options
    I was on my iPad when having trouble, I switched to Samsung phone and worked like a charm
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @SomedayMommy I'll let others chime in on what needs to be adjusted.  I can tell you that I recently purchased a new band assembly from my local dealer who had them in stock.  It ran me $119 including tax.  I haven't installed it yet but I anticipate having to deal with alignment issues when I do.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    from the pic it looks like your upper band is loose and sitting too low. the top of the hinge bracket should be sitting level
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    If it is loose be careful when you open it!!!! The top can fall out of the band and hit the deck.

Look on youtube for adjusting bands on BGE

I need to do it to mine, after a very hot clean they  went out of whack.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • SomedayMommy
    Options
    @smokingal I understand the new assembly is much easier
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Instead of the white clips, just use zip ties to keep the assembly from springing open while you tinker. Cut them off once you’re finished adjusting. I keep a bag on hand for this purpose. 
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    Options
    This is what I did to fix mine

1. Make sure bands are secure on dome and base
    2. Open lid and disconnect springs
    3. Close lid carefully, it will be heavy
    4. Slightly loosen bands on dome and base, and loosen nuts that hold bands to hinge  
    5. Adjust dome to be properly centered on base
    6. Adjust top and bottom bands, up or down, to only show approximately 1/16th to 1/8th inch of green, between band and gasket, on the dome and also on the base. Sorry run on sentence
    7. Tighten bands fully 
    8. Adjust hinge to "original" "neutral" position. White clips are helpful. 
    9. Tighten nuts on band to hinge. Keep top of hinge horizontal    Do paper test for gaps
    10. Carefully open lid and reattach springs
    11. Check for leaks

Good luck

• SomedayMommy
    Options
    Whirly said:
    That sounds great! I'm going to try that. I was fed up with it, so I said screw it and ordered a new unit, but I'm going to try this and maybe I can cancel my order!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Whirly said:
    That sounds great! I'm going to try that. I was fed up with it, so I said screw it and ordered a new unit, but I'm going to try this and maybe I can cancel my order!
    have someone hold the dome open when you take the springs off, they pry off easily with the dome open
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options

i was fighting with dome. I couldn't get it anywhere close to fully open when cooking or to get the springs off. when I finally gave up, it magically opened enough to allow me to get the springs off.

I followed Whirley's instructions and used a rubber mallet to gently reposition the lower band. fingers crossed that it holds. works fine now, but the test will be when it heats up.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

This is what I do- Don’t worry about it.

I spent a fair bit of time and effort trying to resolve the underbite issue. It hasn’t impacted my cooks (yet). So I’ve stopped worrying about it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TexasRebel
    TexasRebel Posts: 100
    Options

Had the same issue. I loosened my bands and adjusted and tightened back down. There are also 2 or 4 (I forget and I'm not at home right now) acorn nuts on the back. Shut it, loosen those, and you can pull the dome from the handle and re-align. You have to pull pretty hard and I did it in a jerking motion. It will move.

Just an Ole Miss Rebel fan living in Texas.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX