Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke (cooked) ham on Saturday, re-warm & glaze Sunday?

Options

Looking to smoke a 15+ lb whole ham (spiral-cut already) for Easter, and ideally would like to do most of it on Saturday since we're serving early PM on Sunday and I'd have to get up way before the roosters to have any chance of doing the cook on Sunday.

Using the "Double Smoked" recipe posted here a few years back, with injected maple syrup and the dijon rub prior to smoking and the OJ concentrate/coffee/bourbon glaze to finish. I "think" it'd work if I did all "pre-glaze" steps (syrup, rub, smoking) on Saturday, fridge overnight and re-warm & glaze on Sunday but am worried I might dry it out in the process.

What do you guys think? Is heating the ham 2X (once Saturday to smoke and once Sunday to re-warm and glaze) going to potentially dry it out? I'm considering 225 for the smoking phase and either apple and/or cherry wood. No idea what temp to re-warm at or for how long, but think I'll need to do at least 30 min after glazing at a high temp like 400 to get the glaze to firm up. (Actually, the only 'need' to re-warm is for the glazing as we're good serving it at room temp).

Thanks for any & all help!

Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

I go another way:

NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Let me start that for the first 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). 

Several years ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only.  Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: lots of Sugar Maple wood. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect.

New item: just did spiral ham and turned out fine.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited April 2019
    Options

IMHO your doing double work. It will take you just as long to reheat to 130-140 on Sunday as it did to smoke it on Saturday if your leaving it whole. I would get up early on Sunday. BTW - if you decide to go with the smoke and reheat method, it shouldn’t dry out as long as you don’t heat it above 140.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options

Not sure about the impact of re-heating and I haven't done a lot of hams, but even a large one like that shouldn't take forever to hit 135-140 degrees. Unless there's something that prevents you from putting it on early Sunday morning I would go that route. Either way, good luck.

Stillwater, MN
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options

Thanks, guys..I need to smoke the ham on Saturday since we're serving 35+ people at 1 PM Sunday and I'd have to get up at a crazy time on Easter Sunday to do it all that day. Plus, since it'll be "done when it's done" it'd be a minor disaster if it doesn't cook as quickly as I expect and I had a house full of people waiting to eat - many of who need to leave a couple hours later for other family visits..

We've made the double smoked ham several times before and really liked it, so will most likely still do that..

Will let you all know how the cook Saturday/re-warm and glaze Sunday thing works out.

Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options

instead of reheating at say 325 on sunday after smoking on saterday, just heat it at 325 sunday with smoke. its an already cooked ham, theres no...its done when its done, spiral cuts were made to be eaten from the package. the expensive honey baked hams even say its prefered to be served cold, not heated.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokyBear
    Options

Yeah, that's a good point..but we just decided to do everything (including glaze and cutting up for serving) on Saturday. Easter Sunday is going to be too hectic with 35+ people coming over and all the other prep to dink with it on Sun..

Wife thinks that we can cut the smoked and glazed ham into slices on Saturday and slightly warm on Sunday (maybe wrapped in foil)..we don't want to serve it "hot" but more room temp..so we'll just do low oven until it takes the cold chill from the fridge off the ham. Hopefully that'll all work..

The only downside is that it'll all be cut up vs being a whole ham set out for serving, but it's her family coming over and that's pretty much what everyone's done previously anyway..

On a different topic - any of you ever use smoked (vs regular) paprika for the rub on an Egret ham? Seems like that'd be a better choice than regular..

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited April 2019
    Options

Be careful reheating already smoked & sliced ham. And don’t add any liquid. My wife talked me into this same scenario for Christmas a couple of years ago. The reheat with liquid took/washed every bit of smoke away that I got while smoking the ham the day before. I should’ve just skipped the egg and reheated the ham.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options

15lb ham isn't much for 35 people. I'm doing two 9lbers for 20.

FWIW

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SmokyBear
    Options

Thanks, Mattman3969 - good advice and will do.

ColtsFan - agreed..but we're serving a lot of other food as well including a ton of kielbasa..ham is typically not that eaten at the family events for some strange reason..(makes me wonder actually why I'm going through all this aside from I love to cook!)